Contract Questions

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Contract Questions

Post by Jim »

Breuk, Your first post should have been an introduction, I am moving this post to the introduction thread. Please tell us more about yourself. Where do you go to school and what is your major. Have you considered enlisting in the 75th Ranger Regiment? Several members of the site earned a slot in OCS after enlisted service with the Regiment. And I can assure you they are doing well. As you can see in my signature, I was a Staff Sergeant who went to OCS after Viet-Nam.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Humility is a good trait to think about no matter what you want to do.

So far you sound like a typical arrogant schoolboy who thinks they already have what it takes to lead fighting men. You've got a long ways to go young man. Start by reading the rules of the site.

Then tell us please, what makes you such an ideal candidate to be an Officer? It sounds like being a Ranger is you're "fallback" choice, so why should we even care if it's not that important to you?
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

Breuk, you cannot hold a contract for an applicant. If you process OCS you cannot enlist with an option 40 until the board results come back and you were non selected. Just like you cannot apply for OCS as a civilian once you've enlisted with an option 40. You have to pick one or the other. OCS is extremely competitive and slots are held for the best qualified applicants. They look at GPA, PT scores, and your letters of recommendation.
In my opinion some of the best officers come from the enlisted ranks. Because those officers have walked in their soldiers shoes. I'm sure you can ask the Rangers on this site about applying to OCS as an enlisted soldier from within the 75th Ranger Regiment. Hope this answers your question.

Perryb
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Breuk, PerryB works for Recruiting Command. He knows the rules. If you hope to serve as an officer in the 75th Ranger Regiment, I am comfortable telling that if you go right to OCS, your chances of selection are very slim. However, if you enlist, you will give yourself the opportunity to mature and develop a broader perspective. Please do your homework and read as much as possible.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

breuk wrote:PerryB, you answered my question exactly, it seems like I’ll have to take a long look at my choice between the two and make a heavy decision early this fall. I appreciate your input, thanks for the help.

Jim, I’ve been scouting throughout the forums and have been learning a good amount of information I didn’t know before. Thanks for your direction.

-Breuk
I've stayed out of this fiasco until now.

Evidently, during your "scouting mission" of the board you missed Rule #1 on the site. How do you address a vetted Ranger during your correspondence on this forum?

Hint it starts with the letter "R" and then followed by the board handle of the individual you are addressing.

Also Ranger (See what I did there?) Cams is not your brother. That is a term of familiarity you have yet to earn.
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
PerryB

Post by PerryB »

Breuk, FYI, I am not a Ranger. I am simply a member of this site that does work for the Recruiting Command . I post on here to answer mostly recruiting related questions. You'll gain a lot of valuable information from this website. Use it wisely and most of all pay attention to detail. Often the smallest details are the ones that count.

Perryb
PerryB

Post by PerryB »

Breuk, one more thing I'll be honest if your GPA is really 2.6 you have a very slim chance to get selected for OCS. You'll be competing with men that have 3.8 and higher. I used to help process OCS packets in my area and I can tell you a 2.6 isn't going to cut it.

Perryb
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Breuk, you will find this thread helpful:

http://www.benning.army.mil/tenant/75th ... uiting.htm
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70