SITREP jphawk

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
JPHawk

SITREP jphawk

Post by JPHawk »

Rangers,

I am currently on pass from OSUT training here at Ft. Benning. My experience this far has been very positive. I have enjoyed using my age and maturity to teach the younger guys the importance of staying squared away. At times they think I take things too seriously but I remind them this is a serious job they have undertaken.

There are a handful of option 40's in my platoon. Sadly none of them are physically prepared for what's to come. Hopefully they use these coming weeks to their advantage. We have just been afforded the opportunity to utilize the company pullup bars, dip bars, and the hill outside our CTA to pt after dinner chow.

Last week they gave out contracts to those who wanted them. Basically they went around to each platoon and asked who wanted airborne or RASP. They then told you if you were eligible based on our last pt test and your GT score. Many guys who expressed interest in RASP changed their mind at that time and asked for airborne instead (a lot of talk and not a lot of backing it up). I couldn't believe it. I waited three months for my contract and now here they are giving them out like candy. Sadly no one qualified in my platoon for rasp that wanted it (mainly low pt score and 1 had a low GT). Then surprisingly the next day our senior DS made an announcement stating that all those who volunteered just for airborne was out of luck would not be getting a slot, and those that volunteered for rasp would probably be going to rasp before airborne (and if they fail/quit they are needs of the army). I don't know what it's like for other companies but that's how it went for ours. If that doesn't emphasize the importance of pt preparation I don't know what does.

I have no doubt that the preparation I put in before shipping has made life easier for me here. Pt is weak but the ample smoke sessions have provided more practice. I have a good group of guys in my platoon who I stick with (we're all squad leaders plus our PG) and we keep eachother motivated. Our DS's are the most knowledgeable in the company and are more focused on making sure we're properly trained in the ways of combat (each have had at least 3 deployments) than anything else. Pt grading is tough and I have yet to max a pt test. My latest was 88 PU 75 SU and a 12:16 2 mile. My run was good enough for 5th in the company. Having the highest pushups in my platoon earned me a slot in a pushup contest against our brigade commander yesterday after our eagle run. I didn't win but when he said "you have a rasp contract don't you) that was motivating.

I have shaved off 15 seconds each pt test. I am a road guard in A group and push myself during AGR's and 60/120's. There is enough running to improve your times here. I will use the time left to push myself harder and I have no doubt I will max my last pt test.

I will post again after I have earned my blue cord.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP jphawk

Post by Steadfast »

Good sitrep jphawk.

Preparation does indeed give you your best chance in your future endeavors. keep it up and never quit.

jphawk, When you have earned your Blue Cord you may upgrade your avatar and take one from tactical or any other that you have earned.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Great SITREP! Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

SITREP jphawk

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Good Sitrep, continue your mission until you reach your goal. Above all, like Ranger Jim said, Never Quit.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

Good sit rep. Have a good one and don't quit.
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
JPHawk

SITREP jphawk

Post by JPHawk »

Afternoon Rangers,

Another SITREP...I have just completed ground week here at Airborne. I finished OSUT with a 295 apft score (85 pu, 76 su, and a 12:13 2 mi.) I'm disappointed that I didn't score extended but I'm still motivated and can't wait to start Rasp. I also was promoted to PL for the last month of OSUT.

We are scheduled as the last Rasp class before the summer break. We were told we begin the Monday after airborne graduation, if all goes well. We have a few Rangers in our platoon here who went through Rasp before coming here. It is motivating as hell to see those scrolls up close and personal.

Once again thank you Ranger Ndog275 for the mentoring and all the Rangers here for all you do for us.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. Keep un informed. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Ndog275
Ranger

Post by Ndog275 »

Good job bud. Have a good one and don't quit.
A 1/75 93-97
B&HHC 2/75 97-99
RS 3,4&5-95

This mighty soldier on the eve of the war he waged
Told his troops of lessons learned from battles fought.
"May your heart grow bolder like an iron-clad brigade"
Said this leader to his outnumbered lot.

www.75thrra.com
www.tacticaltailor.com
JPHawk

SITREP jphawk

Post by JPHawk »

Well I'm officially a five jump chump. The wind on our last jump made for some interesting landings. Tomorrow is our pt test for RASP. They are sending us straight to Rasp with no pre Rasp. The word is class numbers are down and the cadre wanted to get us in before the summer break. We've already had plenty of guys quit RASP here at Airborne and more saying they are when they get there. I'm still motivated as hell but nervous just the same. I'm so close to what I've been thinking about everyday for 2 years.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. Earn this and never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
JPHawk

Post by JPHawk »

SITREP

Been keeping busy lately. Just got engaged this past weekend. The four rifle companies just moved into brand new cof's across the street from our old ones. These things are state of the art. I'll omit details but needless to say it's a morale booster. Slotted for WLC (Bn appreciation month) starting next week. Other than that business as usual.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

JPHawk wrote:SITREP

Been keeping busy lately. Just got engaged this past weekend. The four rifle companies just moved into brand new cof's across the street from our old ones. These things are state of the art. I'll omit details but needless to say it's a morale booster. Slotted for WLC (Bn appreciation month) starting next week. Other than that business as usual.
You have come a long way Ranger JPHawk!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70

Return to “Letters from School”