SITREP - Campo

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Campo
Future Soldier / Opt40

SITREP - Campo

Post by Campo »

Rangers and other members of the site,

I am currently finishing up the first week of Airborne school. I graduated OSUT on June 13th (A Co 2/54). The information I received from the Rangers on this site did benefit me quite a few times through out basic and AIT and there is no doubt in my mind that it will continue to help me through out pre-rasp and rasp. The PT we did during OSUT was pretty much nothing more than extreme stretching and occasional running. With that being said I strongly encourage anyone leaving soon to do as much extra PT at night in the barracks as you can, even when you are exhausted from the day just take an extra 5 or 10 minutes to do some pushups and situps. I know I regret not doing more of it while I was there. In terms of the running, I don't really have any tips to give on that because we very rarely ran during morning PT and were almost never given the opportunity to go run on our own. The best advice I could give is to run when you can and once you get into airborne school go run everyday when you get released.

On another note of PT, if you are just bodybuilding right now before you leave I STRONGLY encourage you to do more endurance style workouts. That was probably my biggest downfall in basic. Prior to shipping out I spent a good 8 months or so only bodybuilding and not focusing on my endurance, yeah your biceps are probably fucking huge but as soon as you get to basic your going to loose just about all of it. From my experience bodybuilding just isn't practical in this profession.

Also try to absorb as much information as you can while you are going through OSUT. Some of the shit the Drill Sergeants will have you do may seem dumb at the time but try to take out the morales, values, and lessons they are instilling in you. It is the foundation that everything you will do in the military is built on.

Well we just finished up learning the PLFs and next week is going to only be 4 days of training because of the 4 day weekend, and the following tuesday of that weekend we should be doing our first jump. I'm pretty damn excited to jump. When we did the 34ft zip line towers, I had a big smile on my face while I jumped out and nearly forgot to start counting because I was so excited.

Thats all for now, I'll update more as I progress.
82nd Airborne Division, 3rd Brigade B-Co 1/508
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Re: SITREP - Campo

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Good sitrep, you will enjoy your jumps in week 3. Continue your mission and keep us posted when you can.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Post by centermass »

If you had PT problems in OSUT, and the program was pretty much what you described, coupled with the type of preparation prior to ever entering the Army, you're already behind the power curve. I sincerely hope you're PT'ing your ass off right now.

You're only a couple of weeks out from the biggest gut check you've had in your life. That's the reality of things.

Lean forward, stay positive and PT your ass off......concentrate on both sprints and distance, along with your pushups, situps, and pullups.
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Thanks for the SITREP. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Campo
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by Campo »

Hello Rangers and all others reading,
its been a little while since I've updated this.

I was in Pre-RASP for 3 or 4 weeks and was dropped a day before we were scheduled to class up for having contraband. (I had a dip spitter). I was given a 6 month return date. I then went to world wide for a few weeks and received orders to go to the 82nd.

For the last 4 months or so I have been here at the 82nd. I am in 3rd Brigade, B-Co 1/508. The longer I spend here the more I am realizing how much I really need to get back to RASP and give it another go. My return date is coming up and I am starting to get everything I need together to go back. So hopefully by the time we get back from Christmas leave I'll have a class date.

As bad as I want to go back as soon as possible, if I stick around here for a few months after christmas leave my battalion will be going for their EIB's and I'm torn whether it would be worth it to stay here and try to get that first or just go back to RASP asap.

Regardless, I've taken getting dropped from the course as a learning experience and a chance to come here and get a little more experience in everything before I go back again.
82nd Airborne Division, 3rd Brigade B-Co 1/508
gRavepc
Ranger

Post by gRavepc »

Damn dude, you really fucked up. All you had to do was wait a couple more months before you threw in a dip, and then you could've dipped all the cope in the world while you wore a scroll.
Bco 3/75 08-11' Death Angels
TCCC/LTT instructor - SIMMEC Training Solutions 11-14
7232nd MSU Fort Hood, TX 14-Present
"Doc, I feel a bunch of warm stuff going down my body..."
Maggot275
Ranger

Post by Maggot275 »

gRavepc wrote: then you could've dipped all the cope in the world while you wore a scroll.
No truer words have been spoken on this topic!
Attack CO 2/75 01/94-12/98
Ranger Class 08-95

I then asked the Lord: "Why was there only one set of footprints?"
He answered: "The terrain was beginning to constrict and our hit time was coming close. So I put us in a Ranger file."

VII
XXII
MMV
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

If you're questioning what's more important to you, a Scroll and the Ranger Brotherhood vs. an EIB and the 82nd, then you don't want it bad enough.

That thought will permiate into your brain as soon as the pain starts to come on and others around you are quitting by the handfuls, it'll weaken you and you'll start thinking "fuck this man, I can go back to the 82nd and be a stud there, and I'll have my comfy bunk and cherry beret back by tomorrow, chillaxin' with a wobbly pop in my hand" and once that thought is in your head, you have failed. Don't say it doesn't happen, how many did you see quit during Pre-RASP, and there was no pain being inflicted, they just weren't into it anymore, they felt they had reached a level of coolness suitable to their needs, or it was an easy way out for simple fear of failing.

Something you should seriously consider. Either way, be the best paratrooper you can be, and serve honorably.

82nd has some good dudes, just like every unit does, learn from them and stay away from the shitbags, nobody can ask for more than that, except you.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Maggot275
Ranger

Post by Maggot275 »

Cams - that is gospel

I was a little confused about the whole EIB 82nd thing myself. Someone has become very comfy in their current status. I was obscured by the fact that he surrendered the Scroll just to have a little dip. That says it all right there.
Attack CO 2/75 01/94-12/98
Ranger Class 08-95

I then asked the Lord: "Why was there only one set of footprints?"
He answered: "The terrain was beginning to constrict and our hit time was coming close. So I put us in a Ranger file."

VII
XXII
MMV
rangerjd
Ranger

Post by rangerjd »

cams wrote:If you're questioning what's more important to you, a Scroll and the Ranger Brotherhood vs. an EIB and the 82nd, then you don't want it bad enough.

That thought will permiate into your brain as soon as the pain starts to come on and others around you are quitting by the handfuls, it'll weaken you and you'll start thinking "fuck this man, I can go back to the 82nd and be a stud there, and I'll have my comfy bunk and cherry beret back by tomorrow, chillaxin' with a wobbly pop in my hand" and once that thought is in your head, you have failed. Don't say it doesn't happen, how many did you see quit during Pre-RASP, and there was no pain being inflicted, they just weren't into it anymore, they felt they had reached a level of coolness suitable to their needs, or it was an easy way out for simple fear of failing.

Something you should seriously consider. Either way, be the best paratrooper you can be, and serve honorably.

82nd has some good dudes, just like every unit does, learn from them and stay away from the shitbags, nobody can ask for more than that, except you.
Ranger Cams has hit the nail right on the head. If you want it bad enough, then there will be nothing keeping you from it. While you're there, be the best Paratrooper there is, settle for nothing less than the best in all you do. RLTW
Ranger Class 8-82
C Co 2/75 80-83-HCMTC 83-85
Drill Sgt 85-87-Sapper Instructor 87-89
A Co 2/75 89-90-G3 I Corps 90-91
I Corps LRSC 91-93-7th RTB RI 94-95
Retired 95
"I'd rather spend 10 seconds in the saddle, than a life time of watching from the stands." Chris Ledoux
sloReady
Future Soldier

Post by sloReady »

I don't want to overstep any boundaries here as a lowly DEP'r,
But this was very painful for me to read.
You clearly demonstrated you do not want to serve in the 75th.
By you getting a second chance, You take that spot from someone who IS committed to their goal.

Someone like myself.
Future soldier ,11x
Ship date 20150810
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

sloReady wrote:I don't want to overstep any boundaries here as a lowly DEP'r,
By you getting a second chance, You take that spot from someone who IS committed to their goal.

Someone like myself.
IFyou read the site FAQs as I directed you to, you would have noticed that our policy is that the DEPs do not dispense advice or comments like this. Go back and review our rules.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
sloReady
Future Soldier

Post by sloReady »

Roger, Ranger Jim.
Also I Re-read the FAQs.
Future soldier ,11x
Ship date 20150810
gRavepc
Ranger

Post by gRavepc »

sloReady wrote:I don't want to overstep any boundaries here as a lowly DEP'r,

Someone like myself.
Okay buddy, so let me get this straight.. You don't want to overstep any boundries BUT you go ahead and do it anyways. Thats worse than an innocent lane violation because no one told you otherwise. You consciously went into someone elses lane, on purpose, fully knowing the rules. Read more, post even less. That kind of behavior in Batt will get you fucking ruined dude.
Bco 3/75 08-11' Death Angels
TCCC/LTT instructor - SIMMEC Training Solutions 11-14
7232nd MSU Fort Hood, TX 14-Present
"Doc, I feel a bunch of warm stuff going down my body..."

Return to “Letters from School”