Military canine 'in Afghan Taliban custody'

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Dando175
Ranger

Military canine 'in Afghan Taliban custody'

Post by Dando175 »

http://news.yahoo.com/military-canine-3 ... c_src=copy

They're saying the dog is British, but those suppressed AR's and frags look American to me, unlike the standard issue L85's used by the Brits. Could a special unit or private contractors have been involved?

While I feel for the dog, there are other things in that video that concern me: I know that leaving behind sensitive items can happen when you're getting lit up, with shit exploding around you and guys getting hurt, but how commonly is sensitive gear getting left behind like this? We're talking about multiple primary weapon systems here. The IR aiming laser on that rifle is especially worrisome.

Not pointing any fingers or criticizing anyone downrange, just intrigued by this story and curious about current practices/TTP's with respect to sensitive items retention.
CPT, USAF Medical Service Corps
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Military canine 'in Afghan Taliban custody'

Post by Jim »

I saw this on facebook. Propaganda, I think.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Dando175
Ranger

Post by Dando175 »

Washington Post:

"Lt. Col. Will Griffin, a spokesman for the international military coalition in Afghanistan, confirmed Thursday in an e-mail that the force lost a military working dog during an operation in December. He did not provide further details. Officials at the Pentagon said they could recall no prior instance of a military working dog being taken captive.

"The canine was attached to a British Special Forces unit that was engaged in a fatal firefight on Dec. 23, according to a military official who confirmed the nationality of the dog on the condition of anonymity because the British Defense Ministry has chosen not to do so."
CPT, USAF Medical Service Corps
A Co. 1/75 99-02
Class 9-01
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

The Taliban, Al Qaeda, and the rest of the stone-age-nutbag brigade have managed to collect a LOT of our gear (Brits, others too) over the past decade.

I see that dogs are not considered dirty undesirable animals if they are useful for propaganda.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space

Return to “The News Dump”