Introduction-John

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

MolonLabe
Embryo

Introduction-John

Post by MolonLabe »

Hello Rangers,

I will try to may this short and brief, so please excuse my sentence fragments. My name is John, and I live in Arizona. I am 20 years old, 6 feet tall, 160 pounds, and wrestled 135 in high school (not a big guy). I go to college and have 63 credits with a 3.8 GPA. I haven't done a full PT but I have done 83 push ups (in 2 min), 94 sit ups (in 2 min), 5 chin ups, and 1 1/2 mile in 11:15 (just a time I did awhile ago without training and I remember it, working hard on it) I believe we become what we think about, and anything in life worth doing is worth overdoing (man up, don't be a p***y). My dream is to be a Ranger (that's obviously why I am here), and I have read a lot of threads on here for awhile looking for answers to my questions and have found a lot but not all clearly. I have many questions to ask and appreciate everyone here that is helping men like me achieve their goals, if you have any questions for me let me know. You are who you surround yourself with, and I look forward to surrounding myself with some of the best men in the military.

Thank you,
MolonLabe
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” - Mark Twain

"Find something you would die for and live for it." - (Unknown)
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Re: Introduction-John

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, John.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

John, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. So far you are doing well. If you truly want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We at armyranger.com take a great deal of pride in the young men who pass through here on their life journey. Your PT scores are impressive, but add pull-ups to your workouts. An excellent start point. Most of the questions you might have can be addressed by using the search feature, located on the top right of this page. Please read the FAQs, as well as select stickies and threads. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Welcome. PM inbound, MolonLabe.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

excerpt of MolonLabe wrote:Hello Rangers,
(down to)
sigline: "Moderation’s for cowards".
What world experience do you have in the above quote.

Does that mean if I drink with moderation I . . .

Does it mean that if I allow 3 enemy to walk by without shooting I am guilty of your quote?
I've had many enemy walk by me on many occasion.

Why don't you place the names of those you quote & give them credit for what they say.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
MolonLabe
Embryo

Post by MolonLabe »

Steadfast wrote:
(down to)
sigline: "Moderation’s for cowards".
What world experience do you have in the above quote.

Does that mean if I drink with moderation I . . .

Does it mean that if I allow 3 enemy to walk by without shooting I am guilty of your quote?
I've had many enemy walk by me on many occasion.

Why don't you place the names of those you quote & give them credit for what they say.
Ranger Steadfast,

I do not have any experience in combat as you have had, nor have I been through many things you have. I do though think this quote can apply to almost anything in life you choose to do. Like many quotes, I believe they can all be interpreted with a negative meaning and in many different ways. This quote very simply means do everything thing to the best of your ability, and give it all you have (in my opinion). For example, "never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet", I would not interpret this as literally getting a higher caliber weapon to take out this large caliber man. As for this quote, I do not know any one person who came up with it, "Shane Patton" recited a longer version in Lone Survivor. It is obviously a quote that SEALs say, but it is not the SEAL Creed so I did not know how to cite it (unknown, SEAL). I will be pay more attention to detail and cite my quotes, I do not know who said either of my siglines so if you find out PM me and I will be more than happy to cite them. It may be a spin off of, "If you don't have something to live for, you'd best find something to die for" in which Tupac said.

Thank you,
MolonLabe
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” - Mark Twain

Mike11C11B
Ranger

Post by Mike11C11B »

Finally a decent intro (as long as it's true). A tall, skinny guy that can do pushups, the current weak guys here should take note. Work on the run and especially the pullups as Ranger Jim said. And good name choice! 100% AND THEN SOME.
1/75 Mortars 1999-2002
3/75 B Co, 1st Plt 2004-2005
3/75 Snipers 2005-2007
OEF/OIF
Class 7-00
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Moderation’s for cowards. (Frogmen Ballad)

Well than, if you go drinking, do drink moderate amount (responsibly) (& be a coward) because if you get a DUI - you will not get to Regiment. :lol:
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
MolonLabe
Embryo

Post by MolonLabe »

Steadfast wrote:Moderation’s for cowards. (Frogmen Ballad)

Well than, if you go drinking, do drink moderate amount (responsibly) (& be a coward) because if you get a DUI - you will not get to Regiment. :lol:
Ranger Steadfast, I found it was part of the Frogmen Ballad shortly after I responded, thank you for also letting me know. I am also 20 years old and do not drink, so the DUI is not a worry for now. I will definitely be a responsible drinker though when the time comes.
Mike11C11B wrote:Finally a decent intro (as long as it's true). A tall, skinny guy that can do pushups, the current weak guys here should take note. Work on the run and especially the pullups as Ranger Jim said. And good name choice! 100% AND THEN SOME.
Roger, Ranger Mike11C11B my intro is all true. A year ago I started going to the gym to get big and didn't focus to much on running, pushups, sit ups, nor pull-ups. I quickly realized the best way to get better was to practice them! In two weeks I got my pushups from 40 to 75. You do not need to be big for pushups, in fact I realized it is almost opposite. I run and do pull-ups every day, if you have any tips I would love to hear.

MolonLabe

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

5 chin ups, and 1 1/2 mile in 11:15

Thank you,
MolonLabe
So MolonLabe, what's your pull up #'s after two months & have you done a 2 miles run yet? I saw you on site today and wondered how it's going for you.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

I'm wondering if he knew what Molon Labe meant and the story behind it before 300?

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
MolonLabe
Embryo

Post by MolonLabe »

Roger Ranger Steadfast, I have done a two mile run, I can not remember the time, but I did do a distance of 2.75 miles in about 25 minutes a few days ago. I just finished tho semester of college and plan to really up my PT scores. My pull-ups are now at 10, I haven't been on top of my PT like I should be, I have a goal I set at the end of this summer that I will be at.

Roger Ranger rangertough, I do know that Molon Labe means from my understanding (unless I am mistaken). I know the story of Molon Labe, but I didn't even know they put it in the movie 300, it's been awhile since I've seen that. I would also be pleased to hear what it means from your own words, if you don't mind.

From my understanding, during the battle of (starts with a T I forgot exactly the name), the Persian King Xerxes told the Spartan warriors to put down their weapons. Supposedly, King Leonidas responded by saying, "Come and take them." I love King Leonidas' heroic action but I also personally love the 2nd Amendment and what it entails. I learned not to long ago it is the motto of the "Special Operation Command Central" or (SOCCENT).

MolonLabe

rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Xerxes said that if the Spartans laid down their weapons he would make them the rulers of Greece in his name. Leonidis (according to legend) said "Molon Labe" (come take them).

New assignment (with Ranger Jim's approval). Research the "T" battle. Tell us the locations name, what the name means in english and the troop strength in the Greek contingent. Tell me why there were only 300 Spartiates and their Helots. What was the tactical significance of the chosen battlefield (ie. Why was that location chosen by the greeks for their battle plan)? Finally what qualifications made a man a Spartan (education, birthright, what)? State your sources of information (Wikipedia better not be the only source).

You have until 0001 Monday 19MAY14.

Recommended (not required) reading: Gates of Fire by Stephen Pressfield.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

rangertough wrote:You have until 0001 Monday 19MAY14.
Well, that suspense has come and gone. He has not been here since 15 May 2014,
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Jim wrote:
rangertough wrote:You have until 0001 Monday 19MAY14.
Well, that suspense has come and gone. He has not been here since 15 May 2014
He has not been here since 15 May 2014, 4:45 pm a full 7 plus hours after Rangertough's post above.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”