SITREP- Elgecko

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP- Elgecko

Post by Jim »

Next week, knees in the breeze. Stay focused. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
elgecko
Ranger

Post by elgecko »

Rangers,

I have graduated from Airborne and now waiting to begin pre-RASP on Tuesday. The word we are hearing is that it will be at least 3 weeks before another class begins so that will give us lots of time to prepare. I feel like I've been waiting so long for this opportunity that I don't mind waiting another month to get started. I have surrounded myself with guys that are serious about graduating RASP and we talk to every RASP graduate or current student to soak in as much info as possible. We know that it is ultimately up to us to drive on, though, regardless of preparation.

Airborne was a little boring until jump week and then it became freaking awesome. I can't describe how much I love that moment right out of the door when you are flying through the air; I had no idea it would be so fun. Unfortunately, we also lost one of our battles during class, Mario Jekov. He landed on another guy's canopy and froze; eventually his canopy pulled him off, he never activated his reserve and died on the DZ. It was a grim reminder that even though Airborne School is pretty easy you still have to take it seriously. Jekov died on the second day of jumping but I never felt concerned about the equipment or training that we received. A few people quit because of it but most of us realized that it was just a mistake that Jekov made and that sadly, it cost him his life.
Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.
-Virgil

E Co, 2/75
RS 2-15
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

elgecko wrote: Airborne was a little boring until jump week and then it became freaking awesome. I can't describe how much I love that moment right out of the door when you are flying through the air; I had no idea it would be so fun. Unfortunately, we also lost one of our battles during class, Mario Jekov. He landed on another guy's canopy and froze; eventually his canopy pulled him off, he never activated his reserve and died on the DZ. It was a grim reminder that even though Airborne School is pretty easy you still have to take it seriously. Jekov died on the second day of jumping but I never felt concerned about the equipment or training that we received. A few people quit because of it but most of us realized that it was just a mistake that Jekov made and that sadly, it cost him his life.
We had that incident reported earlier. People don't recognize there is an element of danger in military operations. Move on! Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
elgecko
Ranger

Post by elgecko »

Rangers,

Back from Cole Range! I didn't post a sitrep after Week 1 so I'll start from the beginning:

Getting moved from pre-RASP to RASP was a great feeling as it meant I was finally moving into the best part of my training. We jumped right into it, too, which was very refreshing. We started with combat PT, weapons testing, and land nav. We did our 6 mile ruck, 5 mile run (I finished in 29:14), history test, blue book standards test, and RPAT demo. Things move quickly, which is a refreshing change from the way my AIT was run. For those still waiting to come to RASP, be prepared to spend extra time studying and doing PT if you want to do more than just pass. Heck, the first time we took the history test only 47/130 of us passed it. We are given plenty of personal time every night and its up to you how you spend it. It's obvious who is serious about being a Ranger and who is just hoping to skate through the selection process.

We did the 7 mile ruck out to Cole Range and my Ranger buddy and I did pretty well, finishing in the top-10. We have two tabbed E-5's in our class and they helped us set up our rucks better than I've ever felt. I always thought I was just really bad at rucking, it turned out that I just didn't know how to do it correctly. Cole Range was quite an experience; I'd even say I enjoyed it. I was really beat down by the end but all we did was land nav, weapons testing, battle drills, and pt; that's exactly what I was hoping it would be! Talking to other RASP grads it seems like Cole Range has evolved from being a total smoke fest to a skills development + pt week. I'm glad it's over, though, regardless. Now it's on to a short Week 3!
-Virgil

E Co, 2/75
RS 2-15
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

elgecko wrote: Now it's on to a short Week 3!
Another reason to give thanks! Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Give us another sitrep elgecko.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
elgecko
Ranger

Post by elgecko »

Rangers,

Apkaz and I are currently halfway through Week 5 and things are going great. Aside from getting the flu and shin splints, I couldn't be happier with the way RASP has gone. We have done a ruckmarch every week, increasing from the 7 mile to Cole Range, then 8, 10, and the 12 mile on Friday. I really sucked at rucking in BCT but now I know that's because I didn't configure my ruck correctly. Keeping the weight high and tight definitely makes a difference. On the 10 mile I jogged most of the way and finished at 2 hrs, 6 min; not amazing but a good enough foundation to build on. We are also doing more distance runs to improve our 5 mile time. My time on the last pre-test was 30:40; our official run is a week from today. Although I'm not worried about failing, I am worried I might not be able to get rid of this flu in time to beat my previous best of 29:14.

We are currently going through marksmanship and finished up the M9 yesterday. Today we zeroed and confirmed with the M4 using iron sights. The instructions from the cadre have been fantastic, correcting several of the problems I had with marksmanship in BCT. I really enjoyed working with the M9 and scored pretty well on the qualifying test. I'm looking forward to spending a lot more time at the range, once I'm finally at my unit, to hone my shooting skills. Next week we go into breaching, then break for Christmas. I'm really looking forward to the time with my wife and kids after 9 months away.

There are still a few guys in the class that probably shouldn't be here, but overall the guys left are ones serious about their jobs and responsibilities as Rangers. At this point my biggest worry is about guys becoming too comfortable and feeling like they have accomplished something, especially when the new class starts on Friday. I have been collecting my thoughts about what I would tell younger guys thinking about going to RASP and once I have graduated I will put them all together. For now, the only two words I heard from anyone in the Regiment prior to being here will suffice: don't quit!
-Virgil

E Co, 2/75
RS 2-15
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

elgecko wrote: For now, the only two words I heard from anyone in the Regiment prior to being here will suffice: don't quit!
Elgecko, a couple comments: a) You have come so far; I'm proud of you. b) That's why every one of my notes to you have said, "Never, never quit!"
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
elgecko
Ranger

Post by elgecko »

Rangers,

I am only two days away from graduation, which will be slightly over a year from when I first enlisted. I'd like to thank everyone here for their assistance, I don't think I could have arrived at RASP any better prepared than I did because of you all.

Last week we did demo/breaching and it was AWESOME. It reinforced my desire to find a job in Regiment that will allow me to blow stuff up. Today we did fast roping and it was also a blast. A bit nerve-wracking to step off the platform when the gloves keep you from getting a good grip but very fun. Tomorrow we find out where we are getting stationed and although I would prefer 1/75, I have noticed my attitude changing when I think about ending up elsewhere. I will be very grateful to be in any battalion and getting to work.

My final PT test was just under where I wanted to score but it was enough to keep me from maxing:
PU: 84
SU: 80
2m: 11:19
Pullups: 15

I need to improve my situps by 2 to get 330-ish, as it stands I only scored a 298. I did take back my running title in the class, so I'm happy about that. We lost 5 guys to PT test failures so don't ever think you're safe, you always have to strive to exceed the standard.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
-Virgil

E Co, 2/75
RS 2-15
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

ElGecko, I'm so proud of you. Tell us which Battalion you are assigned to. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
elgecko
Ranger

Post by elgecko »

Rangers,

I am proud to report that Apkaz and I have graduated RASP. I have been assigned to 2/75 and am looking forward to getting started. I've learned alot in my short time in the Army and I have boiled it down to these three points:

1. Know when to stand out and when to blend in. Some guys only stand out when they shouldn't (eg standing in formation) and then disappear when they shouldn't (eg a PT test). Make sure the cadre know you for the right reasons.

2. RASP will be the opposite of what you prepare for. In my mind RASP was going to be the most difficult thing I had ever done and since failure wasn't an option I went crazy with my preparation. This site was a great resource to that end. Do as much pt as you can, it will never be enough. The guys who went into RASP thinking they would pass with their eyes closed had the hardest time. Sure, some of them graduated, but the guys at the head of the class were there because they took things seriously and understood the commitment they were making.

3. Be comfortable being uncomfortable. I first started to realize this before I even enlisted. When I would go out running it occurred to me that I would have to learn to enjoy the feeling of pushing myself past my comfort zone. Having that mindset has helped tremendously, especially during events that are individually graded, such as the RPAT and 5 mile. Once you realize being uncomfortable is helping you improve, it gets easier to deal with.

Lastly, our guest speaker (CSM Hardy) gave us three rules to go by:
1. Live the Ranger Creed
2. Live the Ranger Standards
3. Look out for our Ranger buddies.

I can't thank all the Rangers on this site enough for the help they have provided. Now I am going to start preparing for Ranger School!
-Virgil

E Co, 2/75
RS 2-15
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Elgecko, I cannot tell you how proud I am for what you accomplished. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Jim wrote:Elgecko, I cannot tell you how proud I am for what you accomplished. Never, never quit!
elgecko, Jim said a mouthful, congratulations Ranger.

3 weeks after you arrive in your Ranger Battalion send me a PM to remind me to send you a packet.

Pick yourself a Ranger avatar if you wish Ranger elgecko.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Letters from School”