SITREP - Boziman

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Boziman
Future Soldier / Opt40

SITREP - Boziman

Post by Boziman »

Graduated OSUT on the 12th and been home for exodus ever since. Some highlights:

-Was the first to shoot expert with the M4 in my company and on my first attempt so that felt pretty good.

-My PT score could have been better; ended with a 272 (69 PU, 88 SU, and an embarrassing 14:43 2 mi) My run time had been steadily improving up until I started getting injured (see below).

-Towards the end was when my feet and legs started getting fucked up,courtesy of being flat footed and bow legged. Got stress fractures in both legs and huge blisters that covered the bottom of both my heels; Ended up being forced by the drill sgt to go to sick call and I was put on profile for a bit but managed to blow enough smoke up the clinic's ass to get an rtd (probably not smart I know) so I could try and complete the final 12 mi ruck and pt test, which I did. Unfortunately, they told me I'd have to wait until after the holiday exodus to get cleared for airborne; Im supposed to get some kind of examination to make sure my fractures are healing and that I can run without limping.
-Overall basic was a lot easier than I expected. The most frustrating part (besides the injuries) was dealing with bone headed kids who thought they were still in high school and who kept getting us scuffed up for stupid shit.

Needless to say, I've learned some painful lessons about taking care of my feet and legs; just glad I learned them in OSUT and not in RASP. I've already spent a good chunk of change on quality socks and customized orthopedic arch supports to prevent injuries like that in the future. Actually went on a short run last night with the new supports to see how my legs/feet felt with them and I can already tell the difference(no limp, minimal pain) so easing myself back into a running routine shouldn't be hard at all.
11X OPT. 40
Ship Date: 20130903
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Re: SITREP - Boziman

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Stress fractures are NOT something to be trifled with. The up side is they are an easy fix, provided you follow the advice of medical professionals. If you push it, a stress fracture can turn into a regular one in the blink of an eye.

Ten days, pain free at a normal activity level. That is when you know you are fully healed. Until then, take it easy and let the body heal itself. Not worth the BS.

Doc Out
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: SITREP - Boziman

Post by Jim »

Follow Doc's advice. Over the years, I've seen too many individuals try to "gut it" out only to fail the training when they should have gone on sick call.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Letters from School”