Inquiry about recruiting process

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Calvin
Embryo

Inquiry about recruiting process

Post by Calvin »

Hi Rangers.

So when I first met with my recruiter, I told him I wanted to be a Ranger. I took a pre-ASVAB(got an 86) then he gave me a packet to fill out. I did that and when I came back to talk to him, he said we were going to do some paperwork. Before we started filling stuff out, the second in command at the recruiting office came and introduced himself to me. He then asked me what I wanted to do in the Army and I told him 11X with an Option40. He checked and they didn't have any(as suspected). He then said I have X jobs that I could pick from and I said no, and that I was firm and my choice. He gave me a "well that's all we can do" face and that conversation ended after a little more talking. Then my recruiter told me the best he could do was check up on it occasionally to see if any slots ever opened. I was scheduled to go take my ASVAB today but they canceled because they don't want to move forward in the recruitment process until I have my job secured. I feel as though taking the ASVAB should still be top priority though, before I even have decided on my job. So I'm asking if you Rangers think that this is correct. Should I be waiting to take the ASVAB or should I be taking it before my decision is made. After all, you don't sign any contracts until you have taken the ASVAB. Any input is highly appreciated. I still have until May to graduate but I'm stressing out about not getting my Option 40.

Regards, Calvin
"Promise only what you can deliver. Then deliver more than you promise."
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Re: Inquiry about recruiting process

Post by PerryB »

Calvin, you need to go ahead and get fully qualified now even if there are no Option 40 Slots open right now. If the slots open and you have't done anything to become qualified you might miss out. By all means take the ASVAB, Physical, and get Airborne qualified. Have your application 100% completed and let your recruiter makes copies of your documents. That way you won't be jumping through hoops once a slot is open. I totally understand you want a Option 40 and agree you should wait to enlist but take the time now and get qualified.

PerryB
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

PerryB wrote:Calvin, you need to go ahead and get fully qualified now even if there are no Option 40 Slots open right now. If the slots open and you have't done anything to become qualified you might miss out. By all means take the ASVAB, Physical, and get Airborne qualified. Have your application 100% completed and let your recruiter makes copies of your documents. That way you won't be jumping through hoops once a slot is open. I totally understand you want a Option 40 and agree you should wait to enlist but take the time now and get qualified.

PerryB
Calvin, you can't ask for better information than this. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Calvin
Embryo

Post by Calvin »

Thank you for the suggestion PerryB, but this is kind of what I'm wondering. Can I schedule a trip to MEPS for my ASVAB and physical personally or does it have to be set up through my recruiter. If it has to be set up through my recruiter, I don't know if I can because my recruiting office doesn't want to fill out any paper work until my job is open. It makes no sense. I was scheduled to take the ASVAB on the 10th and physical/ swear in on the 11th but they canceled because no option 40's were available when I went to fill out paper work with my recruiter.
PerryB

Post by PerryB »

Calvin, you must go through your recruiter. It is bullshit that they won't let you test, physical , and return. You can always try a different recruiting office. I'd try one more time and explain to the recruiters you understand how this works. You want to be 100% qualified first and then enlist once the Option 40 is open. The ASVAB and Physical are good for 2 years. And if you enlist within 30 days of taking the physical you do not have to do anything in the medical section. If it is after 30 days they must recheck your height and weight.
Some recruiting battalions require 100% of the people that enlist have what is called a FSR2 reservation before they can be scheduled to process. A FSR2 reservation is a temporay reservation the recuiter makes that is good for 7 days. It reserves your job and options before you test and physical. I hate that system because often the recuiters reserve jobs kids don't want or they are not qualified for. It seems like that is what is going on in your case.
Sorry I can't give you a better answer than this one. Good luck and never quit.

Perryb
PerryB

Post by PerryB »

Calvin, I just enlisted a young man into 11X Option 40. I had to call the ROC (Recruiting Operations Center) and was able to get the training for the RECSTA week of 20140310 shipping on 20140303. I did not see any Option 40s on the system but calling the ROC usually helps. Has your recruiter tried to call the ROC?

Perryb
Calvin
Embryo

Post by Calvin »

Thanks for the extra info, PerryB. To my knowledge, he has not yet contacted the ROC but I will e-mail him about that right now. In response to your previous post, how should I go about convincing my recruiter that I should take the ASVAB and physical?
PerryB

Post by PerryB »

Calvin, damn I have no idea how you can get your lazy ass recruiter to do his job. I am at a loss for words because that just wouldn't happen here. I hope they at least call the ROC and try to get you an Option 40. Try to contact goon175 he is a former recruiter and may have a better idea on how to get recruiters off their ass.

Perryb
PerryB

Post by PerryB »

I see a few Option 40 11X on the system for the recsta of 20140113. We also enlisted one today with a recsta of 20140328. The recuiter actually pulled that one. So your recruiter needs to get busy.
Good Luck,
Perry
Calvin
Embryo

Post by Calvin »

PerryB, I don't graduate high school until May 23rd so I won't be able to have a ship date before then.

Return to “Recruitment Process”