Badass of the Week

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Badass of the Week

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Saw this on another military forum I lurk on and thought it was a pretty cool idea.

To start us off for Veterans Day weekend:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/ho ... a75eb86e8f
Richard Overton, believed to be the oldest living United States veteran at 107, accepted a box of cigars and a standing ovation Thursday with a humble demeanor and a beaming smile.

More than 100 people packed a conference room at the Stephen F. Austin building in downtown Austin to attend a pre-Veterans Day ceremony in Austin honoring Overton and Ken Wallingford, who spent 10 months in a tiger cage as a prisoner of war in Vietnam.

He drives and walks without a cane. During a television interview in March, he told a reporter that he doesn't take medicine, smokes cigars every day and takes whiskey in his morning coffee. The key to living to his age, he said, is simply "staying out of trouble."
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
centermass
Ranger Admin/RIP Ranger

Re: Badass of the Week

Post by centermass »

Kicking death in the balls, one day at a time.

Awesome!
RS 8-81
Mentor to Rock2/75
US Army Retired 1977-1999

Remember, always be yourself....unless you're Batman. In that case, be Batman.
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

Col. Kevin Gilroy 4JUN36-13NOV13
On 13 November 2013, Kevin "Mike" Gilroy completed his final flight from this earth, ascending on Wings of Angels into the welcoming arms of his Lord.

In 1965, the Air Force, now heavily engaged in the Vietnam War, recognized the need to develop a means to seek out and destroy enemy surface to air missile systems (SAMS), which were wreaking havoc among the Fighter and Bomber strike packages destined for targets in North Vietnam. Thus, a new mission for the two seat version of the F-105 Thunderchief, coined "Wild Weasel," was born. Mike volunteered to become a member of the initial F-105 EWO cadre, and was deployed to Vietnam in May 1966. When he arrived in theater, he attacked the problem of poorly maintained electronic combat systems, and lack of effective tactics, with a vengeance. In the unforgiving arena of combat, he devised revolutionary new ways to employ the electronic countermeasures and weapon targeting systems. Between combat missions, he worked with maintenance to increase the reliability of these systems, and perhaps most significantly, shared his knowledge and lessons learned with his fellow crews. The results were astounding, and led to dramatic improvements in the 355th Tactical Fighter Wing's ability to consistently acquire, target, and destroy SAM systems. This, in turn, significantly improved the ability of strike packages to reach and destroy their targets – a strategic tipping point in the Vietnam War. During his 8-month tour of duty in Vietnam, Mike was awarded eleven Air Medals, three Distinguished Flying Crosses, the Silver Star, and the Air Force Cross. The sheer magnitude of his impact on the success of his unit, the Air Force, and ultimately the Nation in the context of altering the course of the Vietnam War, is difficult to quantify in words.
http://www.crofts-crowfuneralhome.com/o ... --96698911
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

This needs to be made a permanent topic, sticky or its own category. We could literally list a Badass of the Week until the end of time.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

Fucking awesome.

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

There is nothing fair about war, war is hell.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Steadfast wrote:There is nothing fair about war, war is hell.
I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Jim wrote:
Steadfast wrote:There is nothing fair about war, war is hell.
I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell.
William Tecumseh Sherman
This is right after he wiped out the Indians, using the same tactics that he used against the South. I guess his conscience finally decided to show up.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

LINK

Hard dick of the week. Pretty sure this dudes balls clank together.

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

The five most badass medics in history:

http://www.cracked.com/article_20706_th ... y-war.html
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

It is with great sadness that I write this article about Earl McClung, Earl was one of the original members of the “Band Of Brothers”, Easy Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division.

McClung made his first combat jump into Normandy on the night before D-Day. He landed in the town square of Ste. Mere Eglise. He and two other Easy Company members, James Alley andPaul Rogers, fought with the 82nd Airborne Division for several days. The three linked up with their own unit later to fight in Carentan.

McClung also jumped into the Netherlands for Operation Market Garden. The bridge over the Wilhelmina Canal was blown up by the Germans right after McClung got across the canal. He flopped down behind a tree just in time not to be killed by the explosion.

McClung participated in the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944.

His wife of 76 years, Jean McClung, remembered him Friday as a wonderful man. “He was real genial and likeable. He had so many friends and so many people who liked him,” Jean McClung said. “There are still a few of the ‘Band of Brothers’ left. He was one of the last ones.” The couple had three children and lived in Pueblo West for 15 years. “He had a good life. I am going to miss him. There are a lot of people that really cared about him,” Jean McClung said. One of their sons was KIA in Vietnam, he was a member of the Navy. Earl died at his home in Pueblo West, Colorado, in the early morning hours of Wednesday, November 27, 2013, he was 90 years old. We are slowly losing our “Greatest Generation”, and it is up to us to keep their memories alive, so that the sacrifices they made are never forgotten. I ask that you share this, so that everyone knows our heroes from WWII are slowly passing away.
http://guardianofvalor.com/earl-one-lun ... passes-90/
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

According to Wikipedia, there are only three surviving members of the original (Curahee) Band of Brothers - 2nd LT Edward G Shames, Tech Sgt Donald George Malarkey and Staff Sgt William Joseph Guarnere.

Malarkey served more consecutive time on the front lines than any other member of Easy Company.

Time to watch the series again...
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space

Return to “The Mosh Pit”