New hopeful Ranger

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

PabloJeezy
Future Soldier

New hopeful Ranger

Post by PabloJeezy »

Howdy, my name is Nate. I just enlisted in the Army with 68W. There wasn't an Option 40 slot available (and didn't really expect it to be unless I wanted to be cook) and decided to try to work it in either before I go in or get recruited to the regiment via during basic or AIT. The thing I wanted to know is what is the role of a 68W in the Regiment. I know I treat injured personnel but wanted to know if I get to participate in combat as well and get slots for specialty schools such as SFARTEC, sniper, etc along side medical schools. I like the medical aspect but I like combat a lot too and wanted a good dose of both (in the sense of not trying to be a war junkie) and not be a medic that has to sit behind lines while my buddies get to kick in doors and clear rooms without me. If that's the case I wanted to adjust my contract to 21B. Any advice from Rangers out there? If it helps any I got a 91 on the AFQT portion of the ASVAB and will answer any pertinent question that will give insight to help with advice.
Thanks
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: New hopeful Ranger

Post by Jim »

Nate, If you want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We take pride in the fine young men who pass through armyranger.com in their life journey. Please begin by reading the FAQs as well as selected threads and stickies. We currently have some of our future Rangers in 68W training. For detailed information, please look at the letters from school thread. Most questions you might have are already addressed. The search feature, located on the top right of this page is your friend. Tell us more, where do you live? What's your report date? What's your educational background? Why do you want to be a Ranger? Please self-administer a PT test and post your results on this thread within 72 hours. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Ranger Medics do not "sit behind lines". Read up on Jonathan Peney then come back and tell us whether you think you have what it takes to be a Ranger Medic.

As for "liking" combat.....facepalm.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
PabloJeezy
Future Soldier

Post by PabloJeezy »

First off, I want to retract what I said about "liking" combat; very poor wording on my part and didn't mean any disrespect. Just wanted input from actual Rangers because I've heard a lot from other people about 68W and I didn't want a misconception on the job I had picked. The reason I wanted the combat aspect with my job is I feel that it takes a certain individual to be able to handle the stresses and emotions that comes with it and I feel I'm capable to test myself for that physically and mentally (whether I can or cannot, only time will tell).
To give a better background of myself, I'm currently a college student finishing up my AA before I leave for basic (May 20th for my ship date) and my father is in the military and I've been exposed and interested in it all my life. The medic aspect came when I took Anatomy as one of my classes and doing a CLS class with my father and fellow soldiers. I initially wanted to go SF but was advised against 18X since the common tendency is lack of experience and was told to get experience with the Rangers. I've done heavy research on it since such as web searches and reading Dick Couch's "Sua Sponte" and have been enthralled since. I've dedicated my physical training and academia so I can serve the best way I can. And I do not at all consider this similar to an Xbox game or movie, a reason why I chose the Rangers and the Military is to set myself away from the crowd of the "videogame softy" generation I've been grouped up in. All I want to do is serve with the best, I feel like it's something I owe.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Nate, Don't neglect the task I assigned you.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
PabloJeezy
Future Soldier

Post by PabloJeezy »

Jim wrote:Nate, Don't neglect the task I assigned you.
If it's regarding the PT test, I have to take one this coming Thursday with my recruiters for the "Future Soldier" orientation course and will definitely post results. Sorry I didn't address it earlier, was replying through my phone earlier and it's difficult to navigate the forum with it. I'll also read through the FAQs and around the forum in general to get acquainted. Thank you for the welcoming by the way. Also living in the Elgin AFB area in Florida.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

PabloJeezy wrote:If it's regarding the PT test, I have to take one this coming Thursday with my recruiters for the "Future Soldier" orientation course and will definitely post results.
Suspense adjusted. Pay attention to the letters from school thread. The 68W mentees have been very detailed in their reporting. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Bronco
Quitter

Post by Bronco »

Welcome. PM inbound, PabloJeezy.
11X OPT 40
SHIP DATE: 20140715

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Howdy, Nate! Based on your postings you need some churchin' up, and think of me as Reverend Cleophus James here down at the Triple Rock.

First, as you address vetted members of this board, make sure you use their title. Exhibit A:
PabloJeezy wrote:
If it's regarding the PT test, RANGER JIM, I have to take one this coming Thursday with my recruiters for the "Future Soldier" orientation course and will definitely post results..
I don't think that you fully understand the job of the medics in Battalion. There are quite a few things to read. One of them is the post by RgrDoc75 on the recruiting, another is the SOMC description by Bloody Limey.

If you decide to go as an engineer? Well, they have no engineers in Batt. so there's that. Believe me, if, and I do mean if you make it all the way through to SOMC and get assigned at one of the Battalions, you will be tested physically and mentally sure enough.. and if you think that medics don't to get in the mix? Look up everything you can about SFC. Marcus Muralles and tel me if he wasn't getting busy.

Ahh, young grasshoper! You have much to learn before you can leave the temple..
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
PabloJeezy
Future Soldier

Post by PabloJeezy »

Sleepy Doc wrote:I don't think that you fully understand the job of the medics in Battalion. There are quite a few things to read. One of them is the post by RgrDoc75 on the recruiting, another is the SOMC description by Bloody Limey.

If you decide to go as an engineer? Well, they have no engineers in Batt. so there's that. Believe me, if, and I do mean if you make it all the way through to SOMC and get assigned at one of the Battalions, you will be tested physically and mentally sure enough.. and if you think that medics don't to get in the mix? Look up everything you can about SFC. Marcus Muralles and tel me if he wasn't getting busy.

Ahh, young grasshoper! You have much to learn before you can leave the temple..
That's why I came here, Ranger Sleepy Doc, I wanted to be in Battalion and helping out my potential fellow Rangers in more ways than pulling a trigger. The thing was that when I got back home from MEPS saying I got 68W and I immediately got rinsed with what now is apparently misinformation that I would hate my job and all I'll do is administer drug tests, doing simple hospital work and I will be pulled away from the mix. Now it seems like it's not the case. Sorry for the lack of information that I provided. Wanted to keep it simple with my intro and questions but it seemed to bite me in the ass and give a bad impression for myself. And thanks for heads on how I address the Rangers on the forum, Ranger Sleepy Doc. Got torn up on my first post and don't want to keep the reputation going.
PabloJeezy
Future Soldier

Post by PabloJeezy »

Jim wrote:Suspense adjusted. Pay attention to the letters from school thread. The 68W mentees have been very detailed in their reporting. Never, never quit!
I have taken the advice Ranger Jim and I'm still very much looking forward to it. It's what I hoped it would be and cleared up a lot of the misconceptions that I've come across.
SLEDGE HAMMER
Ranger

Post by SLEDGE HAMMER »

PabloJeezy wrote:I initially wanted to go SF but was advised against 18X since the common tendency is lack of experience and was told to get experience with the Rangers.
Regiment is not a fucking stepping stone. Continue to think of it as such, and you won't even get through the brown fence. Welcome to the site.
First Batt, Best Batt 09-12
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Nate.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776