Sitrep- Lennie Small now w/ graduation update

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Lennie Small
Inprocessing

Sitrep- Lennie Small now w/ graduation update

Post by Lennie Small »

Well, today was graduation. I'm proud to now call myself an Infantryman. Like Milton said, "Long is the way, and hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light", don't know if I'd call OSUT Hell (well, maybe the first week and a half in 30th AG counts as mental hell) but it certainly had its unpleasant moments for sure. Overall it's entirely what you make of it. Be where you need to be, when you need to be there and do what is asked and OSUT breezes by. There's some freezing your ass off, some sleep deprivation, everyone getting sick (in my case, a nice case of pneumonia- shit sucks) and some smoke but once you realize it's gotta end sometime, it gets a whole lot easier.

We haven't been told when our Airborne class starts, how long AB hold is, or what to bring, but I'm looking forward to it and RASP all the same. Thank you Rangers for your input and the wealth of knowledge this site offers.
Last edited by Lennie Small on August 16th, 2013, 4:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A co 3/75

If one's sword is broken, he will strike with his hands. If his hands are cut off, he will press the enemy down with his shoulders. If his shoulders are cut away, he will bite through ten or fifteen enemy necks with his teeth. Courage is such a thing.-- Hagakure
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Sitrep- Lennie Small

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP! Take advantage of the break and remember, women do it every class. Stay in shape and get ready for RASP. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Lennie Small
Inprocessing

Re: Sitrep- Lennie Small

Post by Lennie Small »

Just an update, finished Cole Range Wednesday. Started with 155 in Pre RASP, down to 136 in RASP and after Cole Range we were left with 74 men. Land nav was a killer, it is a critical event now. 13 guys that would have otherwise finished Cole Range were shuffled on a bus straight to Worldwide because they failed land nav.

RASP has been a good experience for me, especially in that it re-enforces always doing the right thing and choosing the hard right over the easy wrong. I know I picked up some bad habits as a trainee straight from OSUT and Airborne and it's made me realize how I was fucked up and that I needed to fix myself and always be on the lookout for my buddies as well. It's almost surreal at times when you look left and right and see vacancies previously occupied by guys that you've been in the pipleline with for months who may have had better PT scores than you, or appeared more squared away but for whatever reason they VW'd or were dropped.

Anyway, enough rambling... I'm looking forward to finishing the rest of my training and making it to the Regiment. Thank you to all here who gave advice or set me straight when need be.
A co 3/75

If one's sword is broken, he will strike with his hands. If his hands are cut off, he will press the enemy down with his shoulders. If his shoulders are cut away, he will bite through ten or fifteen enemy necks with his teeth. Courage is such a thing.-- Hagakure
Lennie Small
Inprocessing

Re: Sitrep- Lennie Small now w/ Cole Range update

Post by Lennie Small »

Today was one of the proudest days of my life, graduated with class 008-13 and got my scroll.

Lucked out and got assigned to the Battalion that was my first pick- 3rd Battalion. Thank you to everyone who squared me away and offered advice.
A co 3/75

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Sitrep- Lennie Small now w/ graduation update

Post by Jim »

Wes, we are all very proud of you. You have come a long way in a short time. Tomorrow, the tough part starts. Never, never quit
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

You're a cherry at 3rd batt but not here. Change your damn avatar...it offends me.

Good job Ranger.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Lennie Small
Inprocessing

Post by Lennie Small »

Thank you Ranger Jim.

Roger that Rangertough.
A co 3/75

Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Congratulations young Ranger. Just like RASP, the rest of your life is up to you....don't cheat yourself!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Congratulations Ranger. Welcome to the Ranger brotherhood.

PM inbound.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Letters from School”