Nobody beats the Treadmill!

Military Humor. Laugh at me. Laugh at you. Laugh at them.

Moderator: Site Admin

al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Nobody beats the Treadmill!

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Today I had the pleasure of undergoing several cardiology related tests. Heart beat irregular, blood pressure too low then too high and periods of being lightheaded brought this about.

The last test was a stress test on the treadmill. For those who have not met me I am on the heavy side, have had my right hip replaced, right knee scoped twice and currently awaiting both knees being replaced. In the last two months I have had five serious falls related to my orthopedic problems and lightheadedness. When I walked in limping and using a cane the two techs monitoring me asked several times if I was sure I could do this. My response was "we won't know until we finish it". Stress test starts out as a leisurely pace on a fairly level treadmill. It continues as they raise the elevation in two minute increments checking my blood pressure and heart rate at each level. After about five increases in elevation they start speeding it up, again in two minute increments. They keep asking how I'm feeling/doing? My response: Knees and hips hurting but lungs, heart, and leg muscles OK. After many speed increases I finally as how many stages there were to the stress test (I was on stage nine and must have looked like a speed walker)? The tech looks at me and says as many as you can handle....nobody beats the treadmill! My response " Tell me when you have the data you need, I don't think you want to see me try to run".

I am now on a Holter heart monitor for two days and feel pretty good, they will tell me how well I am really doing soon.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Re: Nobody beats the Treadmill!

Post by IEDmagnet »

Prayers sent for you Sir.

If it makes you feel better, I beat it, but it's because the heart issues they were trying to discover ended up being a torn rotator cuff infringing on my brachial plexus. After nine minutes one of the nurses looked at the other and said "he's not even breathing hard", then made me get off.

Again, prayers for answers that can be fixed.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

I hope that they figure out what is going on with your heart soon, Bro.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Thats a fine example of not quiting
Tell me when you have the data you need, I don't think you want to see me try to run
Kudos to you brother!

Hope all comes out okay.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

I know how you feel Brother. I'm sitting in a room in the hospital in Macon, GA after having a veeerrrry minor heart attack day before yesterday. Hey, they can simulate your time on the treadmill with drugs. They wanted me to do a treadmill and I kindly declined.

I tell you what, you pray for me and I'll pray for you and maybe we'll both get better soon.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Slowpoke wrote:I know how you feel Brother. I'm sitting in a room in the hospital in Macon, GA after having a veeerrrry minor heart attack day before yesterday. Hey, they can simulate your time on the treadmill with drugs. They wanted me to do a treadmill and I kindly declined.

I tell you what, you pray for me and I'll pray for you and maybe we'll both get better soon.
Both of you will be added I've done the drug simulation treadmill. Strange!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Slowpoke wrote:I know how you feel Brother. I'm sitting in a room in the hospital in Macon, GA after having a veeerrrry minor heart attack day before yesterday. Hey, they can simulate your time on the treadmill with drugs. They wanted me to do a treadmill and I kindly declined.

We're all gonna put in the effort. Get better Poke.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

They offered me the chemical stress test but I'm kind of stubborn so I wanted to try the treadmill. It kinda fits in with me turning down one of those motorized carts years ago, as long as my legs work I'm going to use them.

You will be in my prayers.
RLTW

Ranger Class 10-68

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

I did my complete cardiology smokefest in January...I self referred because of shortness of breath. I made the treadmill my bitch.
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

al_2ndWolfhounds wrote:

They offered me the chemical stress test but I'm kind of stubborn so I wanted to try the treadmill. It kinda fits in with me turning down one of those motorized carts years ago, as long as my legs work I'm going to use them.

You will be in my prayers.
Back in Feb I got to do the Nuclear Stress Test - I told them there was no way I was going to let them put those chemicals into me & Like Al I championed the Thread mill - They put it into a 80% incline at only 1.9 mph with all those electrodes attached to my chest area. I kept asking them to put it to 2.5 but no 1.9 was their max. The ultimate goal was to get my heart rate up to 133 beats per min and sustain it for 5 mins. while the 5 Dr.s & 1 nurse jotted down their info. Several months later I got a green light on everything heart related. final prognosis - No Abnormalities.

I hope you all get better in a short time Lunch, Slowpoke, Al.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

I started this thread hopping to provide a funny mental image of an over-the-hill, pillbox dependent, with knees, ankles and hips popping, grinding and wiggling due to no cartilage left in the knees. I did my best to think about this image and it really does make me shake my head and laugh my ass off.
RLTW

Ranger Class 10-68

Return to “Good Humor Popsicle Zone”