SITREP - Kamber

Commo from our members who are in OSUT, Jump School, RIP, Ranger School, etc.
Kamber
Paratrooper

SITREP - Kamber

Post by Kamber »

Good morning Rangers,

Nothing major, but I figured I would provide a small update. I graduated from OSUT this past Friday, and was lucky enough to be a direct-ship to the next Airborne class (roughly half of the individuals with Airborne in their contracts from my OSUT company were put into hold-over). I in-processed into BAC that same day, and was released for the weekend afterwards.

I enjoyed my experience in OSUT, although it wasn't nearly as challenging as I had imagined it to be. The only difficult part was mentally tolerating the shitbags and guys who didn't really care to be there. I sustained an LCL sprain around week 9, but drove on and have since managed to fully recover from it. On my last PT test, I scored a 272, with my PU and SU maxed out. Regardless of the injury at the time, I know my run time definitely needs work in order for it to be at where I want it.

The atmosphere here in BAC so far seems extremely relaxed compared to OSUT. Having Smith Gym right down the road is definitely going to be a game changer for me. I'm very excited to once again have access to weights, and the freedom to work on my run when we're not training. If there is one thing we barely did in OSUT, it was cardio.

My goal for the next three weeks are to bring my PT score up to a consistent 300+, and graduate BAC without sustaining any injuries. It should be easy enough, considering how much down-time we will have in-between training days.

Anyway, that's about all I got. First 25M target down; on to the next one.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Re: SITREP - Kamber

Post by rangertough »

Congrats on the graduation from OSUT, you have earned the privilege of calling yourself a Soldier and your place in the Infantry.

Your complaints about OSUT are common, especially for canidates for the Regiment.

The challenge for the moment is keeping your shit together after being given freedom for the first time in 4 months. Keep everything in perspective, don't do anything stupid and barring injury BAC will be fun and a needed break before RASP.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

excerpt of rangertough wrote:Congrats on the graduation from OSUT, you have earned the privilege of calling yourself a Soldier and your place in the Infantry.
Along with calling yourself Soldier, you have earned a new avatar from tactical if you wish.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP! Continue to march and never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Most of the injuries in BAC are parachute malfunction causing you to turn yourself into ground pizza. Therefore, you have nothing to worry about!

Good luck, and remember........girls do it!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Slowpoke wrote:Most of the injuries in BAC are parachute malfunction causing you to turn yourself into ground pizza. Therefore, you have nothing to worry about!

Nice :-o

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Slowpoke wrote:Most of the injuries in BAC are parachute malfunction causing you to turn yourself into ground pizza. Therefore, you have nothing to worry about!

And as one of our Black Hats loved to say before each jump, "AIRBORNE...If your para..choote malfunctions... do not... I RE...PEAT, DO NOT PANIC...because you WILL have the rest of your miserable lives to correct it."

Good SITREP, get it done.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Good SITREP, Now continue your mission.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Kamber
Paratrooper

Post by Kamber »

Good evening Rangers,

Thank you all for the well wishes and encouragement.

Ranger Steadfast; understood. I do not believe I can view the avatar galleries properly through Tapatalk, though I will be sure to update it the next time I have access to a PC.

I'm happy to report that I have succesfully completed BAC and will be graduating with Class 17-13 tomorrow morning. As an aside, I've also been able to lower my 2 mile time to a ~13:50, down from ~14:30.

I initially got here and inprocessed with Class 15-13. After completeing ground and tower week with that class, I got hit with a gastroinal virus on the morning of the first day of jump week. Severe vomitting and visits to the latrine every fifteen minutes to shit my brains out had me out of the fight before I even made it down to the harness shed. At first, I thought it was food poisoning, but the doc at the CTMC told me it was just something that was going around; they had about ten students showing up per day with the same symptoms. I was given two IV bags as well as anti-diarrhea and anti-nausea medication. By the next morning, I felt much better. I thought I got lucky, because the rest of my class ended up not jumping on that first day due to high wind speeds, so I didn't miss anything. I was shit outta luck though, as the cadre made it clear that the doc's recommendation for 48-hours quarters was not up for debate. I was supposed to be recycled to the next class, Class 16-13, which was jumping the following week. However, due to a paperwork SNAFU, I ended up being a holdover for an additional week and was recycled to Class 17-13. I ended up spending two more weeks here than originally planned, but no matter; I continued to hit the gym hard and managed to brush up on a lot of reading during my time as a holdover.

As for our jumps, we did three hollywood + one tactical with the T-11 parachute, and one hollywood with the T-10D parachute; all five of mine went well with no surprises, mishaps, or injuries. It really is as simple as trusting in your training and executing as you were taught to. BAC was a pretty fun and easy experience overall.

From here, I get bussed up to Ft. Bragg sometime within the next few days, inprocess to SOPC-hold, and await the next available SOPC class date.

With my 50M target succesfully engaged, now it's on to the next one. I'll be sure to update this thread with additional SITREP's as I progress through the pipeline. I look forward to the challenges that lay ahead; surrender is not a Ranger word.

- Kamber

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
DE OPPRESSO LIBER
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. Please keep us informed of your progress. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Kamber
Paratrooper

Post by Kamber »

Good afternoon Rangers,

Small update:

I've made it to Ft. Bragg and am currently in SOPC hold. We just got moved over to the SWCS barracks on Friday. The week prior to that was spent in hold at The 19th Replacement, where we got inprocessed/PCS'd to Ft. Bragg, issued all our gear from CIF, and conducted crossfit style PT twice a day.

I'm really getting a lot out of the PT; the SWCS cadre come up with some pretty killer WOD's for us. The first three days certainly kicked my ass hard, though I can feel my body adjusting to the intensity of our workouts. I'm definitely in the best shape of my life right now, and only getting stronger with each passing day.

I usually spend my time after being released from duty either at the local library (or B&N if the library is closed), or resting up/getting in good sleep so as to promote maximum physical recovery. There seem to be quite a few gyms around post, which I'm definitely looking forward to hitting up next week.

We are tenatively slated to begin SOPC on April 30. The cadre say we may make the cutoff for the last SFAS before September, but nothing is for certain at the moment. Until then, I'll be enjoying the excellent PT and learning all that I can about knot tying, land navigation, rope climbing, etc.

- Kamber
DE OPPRESSO LIBER
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Please keep the SITREPS coming and never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Kamber
Paratrooper

Post by Kamber »

Good evening Rangers,

Just a brief SITREP.

I'm currently still in SOPC-hold here at Ft. Bragg. Our class begins this coming Monday; we head out to Camp Mackall that morning. So far we've been doing PT one to two times a day, usually consisting of a run, ruck, and/or different crossfit type workouts. I've been getting a lot out of the workouts in general; I feel as though they've really helped me to increase my lower body strength by a significant amount. I can definetely tell that my run has been improving with each five miler that we do.

The guys who just recently got back from the previous SOPC class have had nothing but good things to say about how professional the cadre are, how insanely much they learned in such a short amount of time, and how ball busting the workouts are. I'm definitely looking forward to it.

As it stands, our group of guys will likely be headed to selection about one to two weeks after returning from SOPC, which should be sometime in late May. Rumor mill has it that the powers-that-be of SWC are considering cutting the June SFAS cycle, but that's just hearsay for now. I'm not worried about it either way; we will go to selection whenever they tell us to, and that is that.

Well, that's it for now. Not much else to do besides get out there and make it happen. I'll be sure to post another SITREP once I return from Camp Mackall.

- Kamber
DE OPPRESSO LIBER
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP, Keep us informed!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
Kamber
Paratrooper

Post by Kamber »

Good morning Rangers,

Just a small update.

I've completed SFPC with Class 08-13 and returned to Ft. Bragg. The course was pretty sweet and a great learning experience overall; we had PT twice a day with classes/skills training inbetween. The insight and knowledge that cadre bestowed upon us was definetely the biggest thing I got out of the course.

Luckily, I'm slated for the last selection class before Camp Mackall closes down for the Summer; everyone from this point on is waiting until August to go to SFPC or September for SFAS. I leave for SFAS on May 31st and return June 21st. I think we will be starting team week on my birthday actually, haha.

Will provide another SITREP when I return from selection. I'm looking forward to putting it all out there and finally making it happen. I'm hoping for 18E & Mandarin, but will be happy with whatever they choose to give me should I be selected.

Time to get my shit.

- Kamber
Last edited by Kamber on May 18th, 2013, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Return to “Letters from School”