RASP selection at OSUT?

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

Coltv7
Egg

RASP selection at OSUT?

Post by Coltv7 »

Im currently a DEP right now, i was only able to get an 11x contract with no OP 40 but my recruiter says it doesnt matter because the rangers recruit people out of OSUT. He said all i really need to do is just do good on pt there and i will be fine. is this true? I just want to be able to get a slot for RASP so of anybody can tell me the best way to do it on this route would be much appreciated. my ship date is august 19th to ft. benning
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Re: RASP selection at OSUT?

Post by rangertough »

This is your one freebee: POST AN INTRO. Then someone will give you follow-on instructions.

Use the search button.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
MichaelS
Ranger

Post by MichaelS »

PM inbound, Coltv7.
A Co, 3/75.
PerryB
Recruiting for the Darkside

Post by PerryB »

If you don't ship until August you can ask your recruiter to have the Meps Counselor try and update your reservation with an option 40. I do it at the meps I work at. I have a list of deps I check every week. I even update reservations on ship date if the dep is qualified for airborne and RASP. Your recruiter can ask the Counselors to check at least every two weeks. If you run into any issues send me a PM and I'll contact your meps because some counselors suck and are too lazy to help you kids out.

Perryb
ConstantineCS
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by ConstantineCS »

PerryB wrote:If you don't ship until August you can ask your recruiter to have the Meps Counselor try and update your reservation with an option 40. I do it at the meps I work at. I have a list of deps I check every week. I even update reservations on ship date if the dep is qualified for airborne and RASP. Your recruiter can ask the Counselors to check at least every two weeks. If you run into any issues send me a PM and I'll contact your meps because some counselors suck and are too lazy to help you kids out.

Perryb
I apologize if I am digressing from the main subject of this thread, but are MEPS councilors really able to update reserved contracts? I was told by my recruiter (this is probably no surprise) that if the MEPS career councilors even try to pull up any other jobs/option to add, the reservation goes away, and I may not get the job I reserved.
68W Opt. 40
Ship Date: 20130827

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
PerryB

Post by PerryB »

Your recruiter is wrong. Often recruiters say shit like that just to keep you from trying. Bottom line the counselors at your meps can update your reservation to an option 40 if: #1 you are qualified for an option 40 and #2 you have gotten airborne qualified. Some counselors are just too lazy or maybe they don't know how to update a reservation. Of course this is if option 40 is available on your ship date.

Perryb
ConstantineCS
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by ConstantineCS »

Thank you PerryB. That was very informative and helps me out a bit. On the subject, are the things like my ship date, and my BCT location negotiable so that one can base them around something like an Opt.40? I searched around the forums, but I could not really find a definitive answer.

Thank you again, PerryB, I am glad that I don't have to go to MEPS with the fear of losing my 68W reservation.
68W Opt. 40

PerryB

Post by PerryB »

ConstantineCS wrote:Thank you PerryB. That was very informative and helps me out a bit. On the subject, are the things like my ship date, and my BCT location negotiable so that one can base them around something like an Opt.40? I searched around the forums, but I could not really find a definitive answer.

Thank you again, PerryB, I am glad that I don't have to go to MEPS with the fear of losing my 68W reservation.
No you cannot negotiate when you ship or where you ship to. Once those dates are locked in they are locked in. You can try to update your primary option. ight now there are 3 primary options. Most people get option 3 it guarantees your MOS training only. Option 4 guarantees your MOS training and airborne school. Option 40 Guarantees your MOS training, airborne school, and RASP. You can have your primary option changed or updated without losing anything. If you try to change your date or MOS that requires a renegotiation and that must be approved by the recruiting Bn Commander (Usually a LTC). Just because your request a "reno" doesn't mean you'll get what you want but it will give you the chance to look at other MOSs.
Option 40 are so hard to get now. I keep referring to a post by Ranger goon175, he basically said if you can't have it guaranteed then work your ass off in basic so the Regimental Recruiters come looking for you.
ConstantineCS
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by ConstantineCS »

Understood PerryB, thank you, and wazzle for the info. I do plan to work hard in BCT and hopefully at 68W AIT someone takes notice if MEPS can't get me Airborne/RASP. For now, I'll focus on actually getting to MEPS, I'll stop hijacking this man's thread now. :)
68W Opt. 40

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”