My ranger dad was killed- I need help

Who are you? What is your age/education level? Clearly state the purpose of your visit. Please protect your privacy by not including full names and current personal information.

Moderator: Site Admin

amandamooney
Embryo

My ranger dad was killed- I need help

Post by amandamooney »

Hello all,

My name is Amanda Mooney. My father was Arthur "Dee" Mooney III and he was a Ranger. He was killed in 1993 (I was days from my 4th birthday) in a training accident. I don't know much about what happened nor do I know my family from his side. I'm very curious about both things and have tried the internet via google, facebook, ect to locate either more family members or someone who could give me info. I came across two people on this site who claim to have known him but their posts were from 2004 and I don't have high hopes of contacting them. Is there anyone else on this site that could give me some info... any info really. I know I have a half sister that I haven't seen since his funeral and finding her is my main goal. Please help if you can. Thank you so much.

~Amanda Mooney
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: My ranger dad was killed- I need help

Post by Jim »

amandamooney wrote:Hello all,

My name is Amanda Mooney. My father was Arthur "Dee" Mooney III and he was a Ranger. He was killed in 1993 (I was days from my 4th birthday) in a training accident. I don't know much about what happened nor do I know my family from his side. I'm very curious about both things and have tried the internet via google, facebook, ect to locate either more family members or someone who could give me info. I came across two people on this site who claim to have known him but their posts were from 2004 and I don't have high hopes of contacting them. Is there anyone else on this site that could give me some info... any info really. I know I have a half sister that I haven't seen since his funeral and finding her is my main goal. Please help if you can. Thank you so much.

~Amanda Mooney
Welcome, Amanda, I saw this, and while I did not serve with your father, I took the liberty of PMing some who may be able to fill in the blanks. Thank you for your interest. Hopefully someone can fill in some of the blanks.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
amandamooney
Embryo

Post by amandamooney »

Thank you Ranger Jim, I appreciate it.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

amandamooney wrote:Thank you Ranger Jim, I appreciate it.
I'll do what I can. No promises. In 1993, I was in Saudi Arabia.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by Warriorwife »

Hi Amanda..I answered your other post, but will answer you here as well. My husband was one of the other people who knew your father unfortunately he wont be back till just before easter. So stick around and please feel free to read and browse old threads here. They are full of wisdom and perhaps can lend some insight as to who your father was. As Rangering is not just a job, but a way of life.
And Amanda, Thankyou for your sacrifice and for your Fathers service to our nation.
RLTW!
amandamooney
Embryo

Post by amandamooney »

Thank you for the information, I can surely wait a bit longer after so much helpful info already :) I gathered there was something more to being a Ranger when I was little. All I have left of my father is a few old home videos and two teddy bears in army uniforms with Ranger badges on them. In every video he was either at a work thing like repelling or had on a shirt that said Rangers. I used to tell everyone that the Rangers were the Navy Seals of the Army and just boast about how cool my dad had to of been. :p
Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by Warriorwife »

Seals need heros too! Thats why God made Rangers sweetie! LOL!

As I said stick around, and you will get to know some of the best people. We have a private ladies forum here called the Fox hole. Stop in and say Hi, and get to know us better. If you dont see it Im sure one of the Admin here can throw you the keys. ;)
amandamooney
Embryo

Post by amandamooney »

Just an update I have located a few family members thanks to ancestory.com. A few questions about my fathers death have still gone unanswered unfortunately so I am still looking for anyone who served with my father at the time of his death. Thank you all for the help so far you are all amazing!
osiris2000
Egg

Post by osiris2000 »

I am Dee's younger half brother Arthur David Mooney. We had the same father. I am not sure if you even check this, but if you do I remember quit a bit about him, being that I was 11 when he died. I remember talking to him two weeks before he died when he was supposed to come back to Texas to visit us. He was my idol and my hero. It hurt us all when he died. If you do not check this, is there anyone who has talked to my niece or my have contact info?
Warriorwife
DSOTYR - Ranger Wife

Post by Warriorwife »

Welcome to ArmyRanger.com Arthur. I believe I can help you. Private message sent.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

I hope you all find the answers and help that you are looking for.

With that said I'm confused about something.

The OP posted saying she was days away from her 4th birthday when this Ranger was killed.

Now almost a year later we have someone else saying that he's the "younger" brother and was 11yrs old when this Ranger passed. So what gives?

I think a clarification only from Amanda that it was a typo and that she was 14, not 4, would be a vetting to continue offering information on this Ranger. Passed away or not, PERSEC is still a concern here for this Brother Ranger.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Disregard my above post. I've looked over the posts' again several times and understand better now that "Dee" was the Ranger in question, not "Dee" being a nick-name for Amanda.

Carry on. I need more coffee.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
Arizona_6x6
Egg

Post by Arizona_6x6 »

Hi Amanda,
I was stationed with your Dad (& Mom) in Panama, and then again at Ft. Benning.
I remember you as a baby. You were his World!!!

Your Dad was a Good Friend & Mentor. He guided me through Airborne School, taught me how to repel, and even country line dancing.
He was every John Wayne movie rolled up into one!
The most amazing soldier I had ever known.

I was shocked to hear of his passing, and how it occurred. (Training accident). Your Dad was extremely safety conscious in military ops.
His passing affected me greatly, so much so as it being the reason I did not reenlist.

I created a page for your Dad on Together We Serve
https://army.togetherweserved.com/army/ ... &ID=722178

Your Dad was a Great Man!
AJ Legault
Attachments
Dee Mooney, Jeff Moon, AJ Legault
Dee Mooney, Jeff Moon, AJ Legault

Return to “Introductions - Future Soldiers and Other Civilians”