Why should Americans own guns?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

JoBa
US Army Veteran

Why should Americans own guns?

Post by JoBa »

During my school years, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, and the Gods were many, we were taught that guns were an important part of our checks and balance system of governing America.

Our forefathers did not want this nation to end up like those in Europe, where the people were governed by the force of arms, so they wrote the 2nd amendment. As long as we had an armed population, it was reasoned that we would be governed with reason, not might.

A government facing an armed population would think more than twice about using arms against that population. They wanted the people to be as strong or stronger than their government.

Hitler wrote in Mein Kampf that in order to conquer a nation, you must first disarm it.

There is nothing antiquated about our Constitution, nor our Bill of Rights, every word is as critical today as the day they were put on paper, perhaps even more so.

There is not one word in those documents that suggests allowing people to have weapons was so that they could only hunt game with them.

It is easy to govern an unarmed population. It requires little or no thought about consequences.

-JoBa
Last edited by JoBa on December 29th, 2012, 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Re: Why should Americans own guns?

Post by IEDmagnet »

4th Amendment?
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
JoBa
US Army Veteran

Post by JoBa »

IEDmagnet wrote:4th Amendment?
Thanks, I corrected it. Mind not fully engaged I guess.

-JoBa
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

Roger
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

Why should I own guns? Because its a naturally given right from whatever
deity you choose to follow, merely acknowledged in writing by our Founding Fathers.
Same as voting, reading a newspaper, gathering in protest, and being secure in my belongings
from unreasonable search and seizure.
...Shall not be infringed. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
I could go on and on- when seconds count, police are minutes away. I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
My family's life and well being is more important to me than the criminal in my house trying to
take my stuff or hurt my family.

Full disclosure: I'm in Law Enforcement. And I still think this way.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
abnhawk
Ranger

Post by abnhawk »

fatboy wrote:Full disclosure: I'm in Law Enforcement. And I still think this way.
Same here. I am not intimidated by armed, law-abiding citizens. I see them as a "force multiplier" for my interests. :D

I absolutely cannot stand the current en vogue argument of "quit being so silly about guns..we're not talking about restricting your hunting rifles.." :roll: Is there a single anti-gun advocate that's even read the 2nd amendment, or a history book?
C 3/75 89 -91
RLTW!
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

fatboy wrote:Why should I own guns? Because its a naturally given right from whatever
deity you choose to follow, merely acknowledged in writing by our Founding Fathers.
Same as voting, reading a newspaper, gathering in protest, and being secure in my belongings
from unreasonable search and seizure.
...Shall not be infringed. Seems pretty straightforward to me.
I could go on and on- when seconds count, police are minutes away. I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.
My family's life and well being is more important to me than the criminal in my house trying to
take my stuff or hurt my family.

Full disclosure: I'm in Law Enforcement. And I still think this way.
X3
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98

JoBa
US Army Veteran

Post by JoBa »

I do not think any of us would ever want to take up arms against our government, but being armed is one of the things that prevents us from ever needing to do that.

Ideally, we never even want to feel that we are being governed by anyone at all. What we want is for the groups of people we elected to office is for them to manage the affairs of our nation so that we do not have to concern ourselves with such things. We pay them so that we can run our businesses and earn our livings without worrying about what our government is up to.

Sadly, that has not been the case as of late. They expect us to do our jobs and pay our taxes, yet think we are being unreasonable to expect the same from them.

-John
fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

Some one around here had a sig line at one time that read something like:
"I swore an oath to support and defend the constitution, against all enemies, foreign and domestic.
I don't remember anyone releasing me from that oath."
It rings particularly true with me. The day the government tries to tell me to go forth and disarm the populace
for no more reason than some panty waist with sand in their ass passed some knee jerk legislation to make the other
panty waists feel better about crime-invited zones, well that's the day my retirement, early or otherwise is announced.

As far as citizens with guns, well I work in a nationally ranked shithole for crime. I've really come to
believe that an armed society is a polite society. And the more people carrying, the less bad guys remain unventilated when they try to victimize the wrong person.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

JoBa wrote:I do not think any of us would ever want to take up arms against our government,
You know, both LTC George Washington, Royal Virginia Militia, and Colonel Robert E. Lee, US Army, both thought the same thing.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Maggot275
Ranger

Post by Maggot275 »

Anybody read about Illinois yet? Correct me if I'm wrong but their Legislation just passed 'no OWNERSHIP of semi-auto rifles, no OWNERSHIP of semi-auto pistols, no grandfather clause and a grace period to turn those weapons in or face prosecution.'

If I'm correct isn't that the beginning of "infringement?"
Attack CO 2/75 01/94-12/98
Ranger Class 08-95

I then asked the Lord: "Why was there only one set of footprints?"
He answered: "The terrain was beginning to constrict and our hit time was coming close. So I put us in a Ranger file."

VII
XXII
MMV
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Maggot275 wrote:Anybody read about Illinois yet?
http://armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=63467
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Maggot275
Ranger

Post by Maggot275 »

Flesh Thorn wrote:
Maggot275 wrote:Anybody read about Illinois yet?
http://armyranger.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=63467
Thanks Flesh, I usually don't visit that area. So the attempt was made but dead for now. That's what is disturbing, our politicians are continuing to piss on the Constitution and Bill of Rights. It's not suprizing but our society is over populated with the dumbasses that continue to vote them in!
Attack CO 2/75 01/94-12/98
Ranger Class 08-95

I then asked the Lord: "Why was there only one set of footprints?"
He answered: "The terrain was beginning to constrict and our hit time was coming close. So I put us in a Ranger file."

VII
XXII
MMV

Return to “The Mosh Pit”