In need of information

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
Mattwillwin
Embryo

In need of information

Post by Mattwillwin »

Good evening Rangers,

I have been searching on the website for a while but I cannot seem to find the answer to a question I have. I aspire to become a demoltion expert. Someone who would place explosives on enemy targets or structures or handle other types of ordinance. I was looking into 12B but as I read in other threads that 12B's were staff and wouldn't get in the field. I am wondering does the Ranger Regiment just train their 11B's demolition to substitute for the engineers or is their another MOS that is used in their place?

Thanks in advance Rangers.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Re: In need of information

Post by rangertough »

12B-Combat Engineer is an MOS that spends very little time behind a desk (mainly because they are on most occasions dumb as ditch water). They get an overview of explosives and the application of that is superior to the average Infantryman.

However, during this current set of wars they mostly are utilized as Route Clearance assets. The most advanced charge they will ever build is a block of C4 with an initiator and detonator attached that will be used to sympathetically detonate another charge.

The Regiment will train you to use more advanced and complex charges used in a far greater assortment of mayhem.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Mattwillwin wrote: I aspire to become a demoltion expert. Someone who would place explosives on enemy targets or structures or handle other types of ordinance. I was looking into 12B but as I read in other threads that 12B's were staff and wouldn't get in the field. I am wondering does the Ranger Regiment just train their 11B's demolition to substitute for the engineers or is their another MOS that is used in their place?
If you go Ranger, you will have the opportunity to learn to handle a variety of explosives. I kept my demo card current for several years.
Last edited by Jim on December 7th, 2012, 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Mattwillwin
Embryo

Post by Mattwillwin »

Thanks for the reply Rangers. I'll look into it some more. I just want to make sure that I can get the job I will enjoy in the Regiment.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Have you been to a recruiter>
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CatFish Driver
Ranger

Post by CatFish Driver »

In short, if you want to go to the Regiment, don't enlist under 12B.
Ranger School Class 08-02

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice, moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
--Senator Barry Goldwater
Mattwillwin
Embryo

Post by Mattwillwin »

I have been to multiple recruiters, but many did not have a general idea of what an engineer would do in the regiment. Things like route clearance don't seem like things you Rangers do so I assumed that they would be used for demo ops.
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Mattwillwin wrote:I have been to multiple recruiters, but many did not have a general idea of what an engineer would do in the regiment. Things like route clearance don't seem like things you Rangers do so I assumed that they would be used for demo ops.
12B is not an MOS that is used in the RGT. If I remember correctly there's an Engineer Officer at Regimental HQ.

RTE clearance Ops are a necessary and dangerous mission performed by some skilled individuals...none of whom are in Regiment.

BOTTOM LINE:
If you want to be in Regiment get away from this Engineer shit. Any recruiter who is trying to sell the idea that there are 12B in the Rangers is lying outright get rid of him.

Tough
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

There is a time and a place for explosives. Combat Engineers, though they can emplace explosives, hardly ever do it "real world". Rangers do emplace explosives, but it is just for what is required for the mission. All missions do not have explosives. The one job in the military that pretty much guarantees lots of hands on time with explosives would the a Special Forces Engineer. More important than blowing up, is the skill of creating. The SF engineer is the one who comes up with the base camp plans, civil action projects, etc.

The real military is not a "Blackops 2" world. Blowing things up only happens if it is needed, and many times it is not due to overkill.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
Mattwillwin
Embryo

Post by Mattwillwin »

Thanks for the info Rangers. I will keep my eyes open for an 11X Option 40 as of now.

Return to “Recruitment Process”