Introduction- John

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Domn
Embryo

Introduction- John

Post by Domn »

Hello everyone, my name is John, and I have read this forum from time to time during my senior year of high school. I am currently eighteen just having graduated with my high school diploma, and my associate of arts degree. I recently talked to an officer at my local military science building, and have emailed him on how to join ROTC. My goal is to serve with the rangers as an officer, but my first goal is to become an infantry officer within the 82nd airborne. I am here seeking as much information as possible to increase the chances of obtaining my goals.

My current college GPA is currently: 3.46.
The last time I tested my APFT I scored: 277/300.
Are these okay stats for ROTC?
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction- John

Post by Steadfast »

Domn wrote:Hello everyone, my name is John, and I have read this forum from time to time during my senior year of high school. I am currently eighteen just having graduated with my high school diploma, and my associate of arts degree. I recently talked to an officer at my local military science building, and have emailed him on how to join ROTC. My goal is to serve with the rangers as an officer, but my first goal is to become an infantry officer within the 82nd airborne. I am here seeking as much information as possible to increase the chances of obtaining my goals.

My current college GPA is currently: 3.46.
The last time I tested my APFT I scored: 277/300.
Are these okay stats for ROTC?
Welcome.

Always capitalize the "R" in Ranger on this site.
Search this site for your answers. Be sure to read all the FAQ's, stickies & selected topics.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, John.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

John,
Please tell us more. Where do you go to school? What are your goals? Why do you want to be a Ranger?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Domn
Embryo

Post by Domn »

My apologies for not capitalizing Ranger. I go to school at the University of Washington. I was a pre-engineering major, but recently changed my mind, and am planning on majoring in economics, with a minor in philosophy, or political science. My purpose for joining the military is because I see no other job in which I can honestly see myself. Ever since I was young, my dad's service in the coast guard inspired me to do something for my country. I looked to the coast guard, but due to historical significance, I have always been interested in the 82nd airborne. I was about to enlist earlier this year, but decided to stay in college, because I have an opportunity neither of my parents had. My reason for pursuing ROTC over enlisting is because; I feel that I could do better in a planning position. The only thing I am concerned about, is not being commissioned, and being sent to the infantry.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Domn wrote: My reason for pursuing ROTC over enlisting is because; I feel that I could do better in a planning position. The only thing I am concerned about, is not being commissioned, and being sent to the infantry.
Huh? You do not want to be Infantry? BTW, your PT scores are marginal. You should be doing better.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I think what he tried to say there, and supported by his intro is he does want IN, and fears not getting it. He can confirm that when he comes back.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Domn
Embryo

Post by Domn »

KW Driver is correct, I want infantry. From my understanding however, infantry is incredibly competitive through the ROTC program. That is the reason why I was thinking of enlisting. At least I would have a contract, where as if I graduated while contracted through ROTC, I could end up as a quartermaster, or something else far away from the infantry.
nightcrawler
US Army Veteran

Post by nightcrawler »

Welcome Domn.
I'm going to send you an PM.
DUCTI AMORE PATRIAE
"Having Been Led by love of country"
ACO 1-506 INF BN 02-04 Camp Giant
ACO 1-506 INF BN 05-06 Camp Greaves
Currahee
Operation Iraqi Freedom (al-Habbaniyah)
ACO 2-12 INF BN 06-Present Camp Carson
Operation Iraqi Freedom (Baghdad) Al Doura District

All gave some, but some gave all!
RIP Jerimiah J. Veitch
Domn
Embryo

Post by Domn »

Thank you for the greetings, everybody. I'm sure I can learn a lot from the past posters on this site. I will keep my status up to date.

Sounds good Nightcrawler, and thank you.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Domn wrote:KW Driver is correct, I want infantry. From my understanding however, infantry is incredibly competitive through the ROTC program. That is the reason why I was thinking of enlisting. At least I would have a contract, where as if I graduated while contracted through ROTC, I could end up as a quartermaster, or something else far away from the infantry.
If you contract for the Delayed Entry Program ( DEP) you get credit for pay purposes. If you want to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment, you came to the right site. We take pride in the fine young men wht have passed through armyranger.com on their life journey. One of the themes you may see here is attention to detail. Read all the FAQs, as well as select stickies andf threads. On the top right portion of this page is the search feature. It is your friend. Most of the questions you might have are already addressed. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

And go through the FAQs so you know how to talk to and about us.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Domn
Embryo

Post by Domn »

Thank you for for the advice Ranger Jim. Ranger KW Driver, my apologies for not conducting myself according to the rules. I have read the FAQ, and will abide by the rules of the board. I did not mean to be disrespectful.

In terms of the FAQ for new members, when changing my avatar, I did not find newt within the gallery of images, will my current avatar suffice?
Domn
Embryo

Post by Domn »

I found the answer to my last question concerning my avatar, my apologies for not using the search bar appropriately.

Return to “Introduction Archive”