Going 40 at 40 (well almost)

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
man_on_mission40
Embryo

Going 40 at 40 (well almost)

Post by man_on_mission40 »

Dear Rangers,

First off, I would like to thank all of you for your service, both past and present, and also those Rangers who have made the ultimate sacrifice in the defense of their nation. Your legacy and reputation precede you, and that's why I'm here.

My query touches on so many topics that it is difficult to find a suitable heading which would encompass all of them, so I'll just post it here and cross my fingers. I have been reading as much as I can about Rangers and the enlistment process ever since I decided to reenlist (yes, I'm prior service USMC = 1st strike) and although, the chips are stacked against me, I intend to take this as far as I can. So the primary concerns are as follows: 1) prior service USMC (discharged due to injury; rehabbed = non-issue) and 2) 36 years old (have never stopped training, could pass the Ranger physical yesterday). I suppose there are tertiary concerns, but the gist is my age and prior service. I am a grown man with specific goals and have no desire to be laughed at by a recruiter or given the runaround, eventually signing a contract that has nothing to do with my career goals in the Army or Rangers respectively.

I have read about the unwritten rule that the liaisons follow in regards to prior service, and need to know if that is set in stone and immutable. Moreover, if my prior service were deemed a non-issue, leaving only my age, would I then need a waiver to secure an option 40 contract? I just want my shot like all of these young guys, and if the attrition rate is as high as has been posted, this old man just might be lying dead on the side of the road after a long ruck in the hot sun = problem solved, questions answered.

Additionally, I have been looking at 13f and 68w in an attempt to get to RASP and a Ranger unit by making myself as useful as possible (as opposed to being a 40 year old grunt). I aced the ASVAB and the DLAB, am fluent in a foreign language (took the Defense Language Proficiency Test - maxed out), and have never gotten below a first class PFT for the 17-20somethings. I am not underestimating RASP and have the requisite nauseous feelings when I think about some aspects of the training, but I know I am up to it. Like I said, I just want my shot at being the best. Thank you Rangers for your time.

With the utmost respect,

man_on_mission40
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Going 40 at 40 (well almost)

Post by Steadfast »

Our SOP is to disapprove all new posts unless they are an introduction - seeing how you are my USMC brother veteran & I am making an exception with condition. That your 2nd post will be in introduction forum - please don't disappoint me. I look forward to reading your introduction Jarhead.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

I'm going to jump on this while it's hot.

You sound like a stud. Good for you. You're also old enough to understand that these things boil down to the personalities involved. If your recruiter is not doing his job fire him. Period. Get another recruiter until you get the answer you're looking for.

In terms of job selection - don't rule out being a commo guy. Regiment needs those, their rucks are heavy, and they pull their weight. Just a thought, because not many take a bite at that apple. Other than what you've already mentioned, I see no reason why you can't be an 11B. If you're as physically fit as you say you are then don't take no for an answer. There are several opportunities in every MOS that Regiment needs during training to volunteer for RASP. If you can't seem to get it in your contract you will have the chance to volunteer for it somewhere in your training pipeline.

in your case I STRONGLY recommend you consider the reasons you left the service in the first place and make a determination within yourself whether or not you have addressed those issues prior to reenlistment. If you know you have your head and ass wired together, and you are determined to become an Airborne Ranger, then nothing is going to stop you.

Good luck, and keep us updated on your recruitment process (after you post an appropriate introduction).
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
man_on_mission40
Embryo

Thank you for your advice Ranger GoldCoast, and I appreciate your frank words.

I have posted my intro as per SOP. As far as soul searching - done, dusted. head and ass wired together - check (my one year old daughter did most of the hard work for me). Moreover, I will give commo a look and see if it's a good fit - wouldn't mind running around with a heavy ruck. You may think this is a ridiculous reason, but my rifle qualification in boot was Sharpshooter, and while in the more than decent range points wise, I always thought grunts generally were all Expert riflemen. I realize that this is a skill that obviously can be continually developed, but I want to make the most of what I've got [naturally] without being a burden on my unit. Other than that, all the other physical aspects of 11b appeal to me. Also, I most certainly will heed your advice regarding working with my recruiter. Thank you again, Ranger GoldCoast for both your service and encouragement. Ironically, if there had been a forum like this before I joined the Corps, things might have turned out differently. Perhaps, I should have walked into an Army recruiter's office first - I hope I get the opportunity to rectify my mistake.

With the utmost respect,

man_on_mission40
man_on_mission40
Embryo

Thank you for your comment Ranger Richard Cranium, and perhaps mistake was too strong a word.

I was uninformed, ignorant of my options and the power I possessed as an enlistee, and was duped by a recruiter who quite possibly took advantage of my enthusiasm. The Corps is what it is and does what it does, and like you said, "does some hard fighting too". I joined at 31, turned 32 in boot, and was as "motivated" as they come. Out of the blue, I had my contract yanked out from under me and wound up in an MOS not of my choosing, losing my bonus in the process - I was surprised that someone of my experience and qualifications would be summarily overlooked in respect to being placed in a job that would maximize my talents and attributes. A subsequent injury in MOS school led to a heart to heart with my chain of command and there you have it. Make no mistake, I WANTED to be in the military and had every intention of doing my 20. I've wanted to be in the military since I aced the ASVAB in high school and the Army recruiters came to my house, however, life had other plans for me. The path leading back to where I've always known I belong has been long and circuitous, and this time I will have my say in how it turns out - life IS what you make of it. Thanks to you and all of the other Rangers for your service, advice and encouragement, and while AF CCT sounds exciting, it does sound a bit lonely - I'm a team player at heart!

With the utmost respect,

man_on_mission40
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

The 75th Ranger Regiment can take you from zero to hero as far as shooting is concerned. Don't let that be a factor in your decision. If you think you have the chops to make tough, touchy decisions on the fly then do what you think is best. It doesn't really matter what MOS you bring to Regiment... everyone there carries their weight and then some.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
man_on_mission40
Embryo

Thank you Ranger GoldCoast for your advice yet again,

I THINK I have the chops, but I want the chance to PROVE whether or not I actually do. Well, I gotta get back to doing some more push-ups - wanna max out that PFT! Thank you to all the Rangers for your service and sacrifice.

With the utmost respect,

man_on_mission40

Return to “Recruitment Process”