Plate carriers

Racks, Helmets, Cold Weather Gear
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Plate carriers

Post by cams »

Search button gave me a few results, but they were aged and didn't offer a lot.

I've been tasked with finding suitable plate carriers for the entire fleet of vehicles (will be kept in the trunk during very hot and very cold weather) as all "the suits" are jumping through hoops right now after the Colorado shooter.

I have never owned or worn just a plate carrier so I'm asking for input on what's decent or not from those that have. If you havent, no need to comment, I know how to use google and I don't need so-and-so said these were good. I'm looking for hard facts and personal exp. while I do my own research on it. If you need to, PM me with info if you don't want it out here in the open.

Question: Would a general size (with the strap adjustments) be suitable for an overall fit, from say, Medium build to Large or Xtra Large? How much room for adjustment do these carriers offer with just a front and rear plate? I can't imagine that individuals need to be measured for these like we did for TacVests?

These carriers will also be worn over soft armor if the Officer is wearing theirs at the time, adding bulk.

We're looking for something that is simple and quick, out of the trunk, on the body, and moving to the shooter. Nothing fancy, just good quality and a reputable company, we an add mag pouches and gear queer stuff later.

These will be over the head donned carriers, similar to soft armor, not front opening.

I'll be doing my own research in the meantime, and thank you for any replys.

PS: Cliv is gay.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
RangerX
Ranger

Re: Plate carriers

Post by RangerX »

cams wrote:PS: Cliv is gay.
Thanks for the clarification.... :lol:
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

Just because I'm curious. How does weather effect the need for ballistic protection?

I've worn a few plate carriers. Some relatively inexpensive but practical (Tactical Tailor), the model the Army fields in Afghanistan (serviceable and very robust but bulky) and I tried on Crye Precision (stupid pricey but mega comfortable).

If you are looking for a basic carrier that's tough and you can hang stuff off of I'd look at Tactical Tailor (they even have a lighter weight carrier made from Darnier 800). If you are looking to wear it all the time and money isn't a huge issue look at Crye.

As far as adjustability. Most carriers that I've worn are very adjustable and the sizeing is more based on plate size than body size (not counting the freaks of nature that fall into the real huge or tiny arena). If you buy a large it should work for M-XL.

Tough
Last edited by rangertough on July 27th, 2012, 5:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rangertough
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
C CO/HHC 2/75 '93-97, Bragg '97-'99, HHC/C CO/A CO 2/75 99'-'01 RS 8-94.
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

rangertough wrote:Are you fielding side plates?

How does weather effect the need for ballistic protection?

Tough

Just front and back is what I was told. Side plates make sense of course but they're already talking about financial restrictions.

The basic "patrolman" active shooter technique that's being taught uses the front armor in a tight 360, another reason I was told front/back only. Simple techniques but being used nationwide so officers from different agencies can fall in together and move to the shooter. It's not a tactical team entry or assault, basic easy 360 coverage that you're average patrolman can implement.

Weather doesnt effect the need, what I was getting at is material wise, mold, cracking, etc if they're not taken out of the trunk for a yr but then are needed. We're not dealing with guys that will take it out on a regular basis to conduct maintenance or do spot checks on equipment. Think hardcore legs and how they treat their equipment.
Last edited by cams on July 27th, 2012, 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

RangerX wrote:
cams wrote:PS: Cliv is gay.
Thanks for the clarification.... :lol:
:wink:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

cams wrote:
rangertough wrote:Are you fielding side plates?

How does weather effect the need for ballistic protection?

Tough

Just front and back is what I was told. Side plates make sense of course but they're already talking about financial constrictions. I will double check on that Monday when they're back in.

Weather doesnt effect the need, what I was getting at is material wise, mold, cracking, etc if they're not taken out of the trunk for a yr but then are needed. We're not dealing with guys that will take it out on a regular basis to conduct maintenance or do spot checks on equipment. Think hardcore legs and how they treat their equipment.
Edited my post with a better thouht out answer.

Thanks for the clarification makes sense now.

Tough
Rangertough
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Thanks Tough, that helps.

And no they will not be worn regularly, they will be stored in lock boxes in the trunks of the cruisers and worn in the case of an active shooter or when there is specific need for more than soft armor/pistol round protection, so comfort and high price is not a neccessity, just functional and durable.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

My only suggestion is to find one that has the straps that are attached to the back plate holder
and open/ close in the front. It's much easier in a high stress get it on and move to the sound of
the guns right fucking now situation then one that the straps clip shut in the rear.
Basically, you want the fastex buckle in the front and the solidly sewn end of the strap in the rear.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

fatboy wrote:My only suggestion is to find one that has the straps that are attached to the back plate holder
and open/ close in the front. It's much easier in a high stress get it on and move to the sound of
the guns right fucking now situation then one that the straps clip shut in the rear.
Basically, you want the fastex buckle in the front and the solidly sewn end of the strap in the rear.
Understood and will look into that. Thanks Ranger.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

fatboy
Ranger

Post by fatboy »

With all the recent Happenings in Bean town, I thought I'd bump this thread and see
what if any type of plate carriers you guys went with and if you had them available during the the hunt.
RS 07 and 08-01 (I took the long tour in Florida)

1-508 ABCT
1-327IN
101st Pathfinder DS1
Iraqi Freedom 03-04, 05-06, 07-08
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

fatboy wrote:With all the recent Happenings in Bean town, I thought I'd bump this thread and see
what if any type of plate carriers you guys went with and if you had them available during the the hunt.
Negative on both. Have heard nary a word about it since I passed on the packet/research that was requested. Though when it comes time for the book of Lessons Learned, this will be one of my entries.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

cams wrote:
fatboy wrote:With all the recent Happenings in Bean town, I thought I'd bump this thread and see
Negative on both. Have heard nary a word about it since I passed on the packet/research that was requested. Though when it comes time for the book of Lessons Learned, this will be one of my entries.
The pix from the manhunt looked like you had plates on. Did you have to buy your own?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

Jim those were our team tac-vests. Heavy vests/plates all around. Not for regular patrolman use.

Difference being those vests you saw have ballistic capabilities all around for pistol protection and also heavy plates for rifle protection, whereas the plate carriers in the subject are simply nylon "carriers" to support the use of a front and back rifle plate.
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92

rangertough
Ranger/Moderator

Post by rangertough »

cams wrote:Jim those were our team tac-vests. Heavy vests/plates all around. Not for regular patrolman use.

Difference being those vests you saw have ballistic capabilities all around for pistol protection and also heavy plates for rifle protection, whereas the plate carriers in the subject are simply nylon "carriers" to support the use of a front and back rifle plate.
Side SAPI plates are a worthy addition iMHO.

Tough
Rangertough
Dreadnought
Ranger

Post by Dreadnought »

The best, most affordable, and most lightweight plate carrier I've seen, and which I wish we could wear, is the Crye JPC (Jumpable Plate Carrier). All the coolest kids wear them, they're very comfortable, are only about 250 dollars (which to me is cheap).

My $.02

To facilitate your perusing, here's a link:

http://www.cryeprecision.com/P-BLC04202 ... -%28jpc%29
D/2/75 APRIL 09 - APRIL 2017
RS 11-10
CDQC 002-13

Return to “Personal Gear”