Looking for helpful input

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

ronlaughlin
Egg

Post by ronlaughlin »

I sent a request for help a couple of days ago but was told my post was an advertisement.
I was quite surprised. So I won't mention the name of the book this time. Sorry it was seen as such it wasn't.
I am a writer 74 years of age and am just completing a novel set in the Caribbean that will begin a series of books that will
have as the heroes a group of ex-military. They are four: Dan retired Army Ranger, Cliff a veteran
of 12 years with the Marines, Bill an ex Navy Seal and Jim an Air Force Pararescueman that
form the "Fishing Club" to eradicate the bad guys that create mayhem on innocent civilians.
I thought it was about time we had real heroes not out of a comic book.
My contact is to make sure I get the correct information when I create the bio on Dan the Ranger so I can be sure to
reflect honorably on the individual and the Rangers.
If I am allowed to do that then let me know and I can post questions I have and perhaps get the correct answers.
ronlaughlin
Egg

Re: Looking for helpful input

Post by ronlaughlin »

What I am looking for so not to get the information wrong on my part is this:
re: Dan Smith - Joined Army at 18 retired 20 years
In the book he is described as an ex-Army Ranger. I need to know what his service timing could have been in the Army from 1970-1990? and for these years where he would have most likely served? and what medals he possibly could have won and recommendations? or is there other considerations?
My plans are if the book sells is to donate a percentage to the Rangers through this website and give credit to those who helped me along the way. If the first book goes I am sure there will be a series involving "The Fishing Club".
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

I sent this to the last writer to show up:
KW Driver wrote:And I mean no disrespect, and it's not a knock on you personally Jade.

You want to know what it's like? Join and find out for yourself. Embed for months or a year and play anthropologist.

Otherwise, despite your best intents, you won't even scratch the surface of who we are.

And most of us who've interacted with the media in general, and writers who've come by asking the same thing, end up disappointed by the result.

So good luck, but don't be surprised if you don't get much of a response.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
ronlaughlin
Egg

Post by ronlaughlin »

Thank you for the question. No I did not serve in the military. I am 74 years old.I graduated in 1955 from the small town of Miamisburg, Ohio. it was a period of time there wasn't any real conflict. I went to work with the Ohio Division of Wildlife then after retiring I went to the Florida Keys for twenty years where I was a builder, restaurant owner, newspaper owner and wrote articles for magazines and newspapers.
After twenty years I moved to New Zealand and have been writing about travel here ever since.
My website is at (site address removed by Admin - No Advertising) I have written three books but this will be my first novel based on
my life in the Caribbean and the Bahamas mostly sailing,diving,fishing.
I have always admired the world of our elite forces and what is accomplished. I have met several in my life. I am using this first novel to introduce four men dedicated to making life right beyond their earlier calling.
I feel it is time to have a group of real heroes, not comic book ones, and would like to be able to bring to the world four retired military men who carry the pride and understanding to continue to fight for right.

Here is the introduction of the book to get an idea:
Drugs, guns, romance and death meet as one to set off an explosive island paradise.
On a quiet night reef fishing in the Florida Keys Clint is startled by the sound of gunfire. Rushing to see if he can help he discovers a boat with its deck covered in blood and bodies and only one female survivor that he hurriedly takes aboard.
They are chased in a barrage of machine gun fire escaping into the shallow mangrove islands. The pursuit is relentless by a Columbian drug cartel that will not stop until they finish the job.
While running for their lives they slowly find within each other a soul mate.
Escaping to the Bahamas they end up on an isolated island south of San Salvadore. Eventually they are discovered and all hell breaks loose.

It is then Clint, an ex-Marine; his mates: Dan, an ex-Army Ranger; Bill, an ex-Seal and Jim
an ex-Air Force pararescueman decide enough is enough and create “The Fishing Club”.
They vow to take out the drug lords from the top since no one else can touch them.

“To grab the devil by the throat and never let go” is their motto. The war is on.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Mr. laughlin ,

Please do not post your website in a post. You have been given the go-ahead to garner info from this site but no permission to advertise.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Introduction Archive”