SITREP - Cory

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
CBrenn02
Future Soldier

SITREP - Cory

Post by CBrenn02 »

Rangers,

Well, I just got back from the recruiting office and to say I'm disappointed would be an understatement. I sat down with my recruiter and he called ROC to see about an 11x opt 40. He explained to ROC that I would be graduating in December, but this didn't seem to make a difference. He was told on the phone that no 11x opt 40's were available and he couldn't do anything until the new fiscal year started OCT 1. I found this a little odd considering I've talked to a couple of Future Soldiers on here with similar college situations and their recruiter was able to secure them an opt 40 contract even though their training wouldn't take place until FY 2013. My recruiter told me that they did have an 18x contract available with a ship date in July, before I graduate. He continued to say that the 18x jobs don't come around often (bullshit) and that I should take it and finish up my schooling while I'm in. I respectfully declined. At this point I don't really know where to go from here. I have busted my ass to get into the position that I'm in with regards to college and refuse to walk away without my degree in hand. I explained this to my recruiter and he basically said "Well, come back and see us in 6 months to a year." Part of me wants to talk to another recruiter but I don't want to step on any toes. I've put a lot of work into this and I know my recruiter has as well. It's a little shocking to get the response from him that I did.
"I promise you, I will never quit."

11x Opt. 40
SHIP DATE: 20130108
goon175
Ranger

Re: SITREP - Cory

Post by goon175 »

Not much he can do about the 11x opt. 40's right now.

If you are that close to finishing college....then finish! Go talk to him in june/july and see what's popping. Nothing to stress yourself out over.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
CBrenn02
Future Soldier

Post by CBrenn02 »

Roger that Ranger Goon175.

We'll see how everything ends up working out. After my recruiter tried talking me into the 18x contract I got up and walked out. I got a text from him about 15 minutes later saying that he understands now that I'm serious about what I want and he can respect that. He called me yesterday and said he would try his hardest to find me a contract.

11x Opt. 40
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Good for him. Glad you have a recruiter willing to understand your position. Focus on finishing school and you'll be fine.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
CBrenn02
Future Soldier

Post by CBrenn02 »

Quick update Rangers,

Today I reserved an 11x Opt. 4 contract with a ship date of 20130108. I'm scheduled to one shot at MEPS this Thursday/Friday. The option 40 is still my main focus and I hope that my career counselor at MEPS will be able to change the Opt. 4 to an Opt. 40. If not, I have no problem what so ever earning the opportunity for RASP the hard way. It will give me more of a reason to go above and beyond in every aspect of my training.

11x Opt. 40
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

Post the results of that shot at MEPS here or in the intro thread - I am watching.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
CBrenn02
Future Soldier

Post by CBrenn02 »

Roger that Ranger Lefty, will do.

11x Opt. 40
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Really glad that you were able to work that out. With an 11x opt. 4 you will have no problem getting a slot at RASP, you just have to walk over to the liasons office once you inprocess to airborne. Being able to look that far out because of your college situation literally saved your ass, all the other grads can only look out to about august for jobs right now, and to say that the jobs are slim pickins' would be an understatement! Good job and make sure you are well prepared. Start earning that E-4 rank that you will be going in with!
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Congrats on your new contract.

Now you can update your signature line to reflect your ship date.
See topic Signature Line atop main forum - in Board FAQ - 4th item down.
I have already updated your title.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
CBrenn02
Future Soldier

Post by CBrenn02 »

goon175 wrote:Really glad that you were able to work that out. With an 11x opt. 4 you will have no problem getting a slot at RASP, you just have to walk over to the liasons office once you inprocess to airborne. Being able to look that far out because of your college situation literally saved your ass, all the other grads can only look out to about august for jobs right now, and to say that the jobs are slim pickins' would be an understatement! Good job and make sure you are well prepared. Start earning that E-4 rank that you will be going in with!
Roger that Ranger Goon175. I am really happy with how everything has worked out to this point, but it's only the beginning. I have a little less than a year to continue to work and prepare myself mentally and physically. It just goes to show what perseverance and a solid recruiter can do for you. My recruiter said the same thing to me about the job outlook. As a matter of fact, he stated that this is the first Airborne Infantry contract that he has seen in a while.
Steadfast wrote:Congrats on your new contract.

Now you can update your signature line to reflect your ship date.
See topic Signature Line atop main forum - in Board FAQ - 4th item down.
I have already updated your title.
Roger that Ranger Steadfast, completed.

11x Opt. 40
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Good SITREP. You are on your way. You have as great asset in Ranger Lefty. Don't waste it. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
CBrenn02
Future Soldier

Post by CBrenn02 »

Rangers,

I have officially sworn into the U.S. Army. My one shot at MEPS was successful, even though I walked out without an option 40. However, the career counselor I had searched everywhere for me and decided to give me his email and told me to have my recruiter email him every 2 weeks until an option 40 opens up. My recruiter readily agreed to this and said he would gladly send him an email every other week. Either way I still signed with my 11x opt 4. I have confidence that I will have an option 40 by the time I ship Jan. 8th. I'll keep this thread going as I continue to get information and hopefully get closer to the prize.

One 25m target down, with a long range ahead.

11x Opt. 40
CBrenn02
Future Soldier

Post by CBrenn02 »

Rangers,

Seeing as I have never posted PT scores I thought it to be the wise thing to do since my Future Solider Squad just conducted a PT test this afternoon. It was conducted through the over watch of our station commander. Results are as follow:

PU: 86
SU: 85
2 Mile: 12:50

11x Opt. 40
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

CBrenn02 wrote:Rangers,

Seeing as I have never posted PT scores I thought it to be the wise thing to do since my Future Solider Squad just conducted a PT test this afternoon. It was conducted through the over watch of our station commander. Results are as follow:

PU: 86
SU: 85
2 Mile: 12:50
You have a strong baseline established. Now you know what you need to do to improve your scores.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”