Introduction - David

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

FlyersFan31
Egg

Introduction - David

Post by FlyersFan31 »

Hello Rangers, my name is David and I aspire to become part of your community. I’m 22 years old as of Jan. 31st and I am looking to enlist in the Army within the year. Joining the military has been something I’ve thought about for just about my whole life up to the time I was about to graduate high school. I ended up going to college and I regret the fact that I didn’t serve first. I’ve been doing countless hours of research lately and I am making the decision to talk to a recruiter about enlisting when I get home for spring break.

I don’t just want to be “Army strong”, I want to be elite. The 75th is where I want to be. That said, I’m not ignorant to the fact that the Rangers are less than 1% of the Army and to actually get there is going to be the hardest thing I’ve done up to this point. I am going to seek an option 40 and having seen a lot of advice on this board, especially from Ranger goon175, I know exactly how to go about this, but also what to expect and what not to expect. I WILL wait however long it takes for a Opt.40 to come my way. I was an athlete in high school, but have since been much more focused on weights. I can do the push ups, pull ups and situps to score 100%, but my running is awful at the moment. I’ve already begun to get my running back in order though.

Anyway, I want to thank every single Ranger on this board for sharing your time, experience and information to those like me that haven’t accomplished a damn thing yet. You guys motivate me to work harder and most importantly never quit. Knocking out 50 for the time it took for you to read this.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction - David

Post by Jim »

You have to start somewhere. We all did. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

A wise Ranger once told me, "Luck is preparedness meeting opportunity" and a wise Ranger once told you, "Never, never quit!" That pretty much sums up everything you need to know.

As for the rest, time will tell if you're sincere.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, David.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
FlyersFan31
Egg

Post by FlyersFan31 »

Jim wrote:You have to start somewhere. We all did. Never, never quit!
Thank you, Ranger Jim. I don't plan on it.
GoldCoast wrote:A wise Ranger once told me, "Luck is preparedness meeting opportunity" and a wise Ranger once told you, "Never, never quit!" That pretty much sums up everything you need to know.

As for the rest, time will tell if you're sincere.
Great Quote, Ranger GoldCoast. Time will tell.
CharlieRanger1FFV wrote:Welcome to the site, David.

RLTW!!!
Thanks for having me, Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV
FlyersFan31
Egg

SITREP - Recruitment Process

Post by FlyersFan31 »

Rangers, the recruiting process has been fairly frustrating thus far, but I'm slowly making progress and it seems to be picking up. There are two things that stand out to me as just not right though. First, after MEPS mishandling my medical prescreen and having to resubmit all doctors notes again I was finally approved. I thought it was strange though because I was told I was "approved" but then told that after my ASVAB scores came in my recruiter would submit a waiver. I thought that I only needed a waiver if I was "disqualified" with a recommendation of a waiver? After my ASVAB scores came back all of a sudden my recruiter is saying there should be no waiver.

The second thing that bothers me is that I feel like I'm being lied to about the ASVAB. Admittedly this is a minor lie, but I don't want my recruiter to start to try and pull things over on me. Ranger Goon175 or any others with recruiting experience, please let me know if this is in fact USAREC policy... I went to take the official paper ASVAB this past Monday and received an AFQT of 96, which was given to my recruiter in an envelope. I was told my official results and line scores will come in Wednesday. Yesterday my line scores came in as expected and I was told I couldn't receive my scores over the phone, which I know is correct. Here's where I became annoyed. I specifically asked if I could get a copy of my scores for personal records, and he told me no that's not possible. He said I'm not allowed to have a paper copy of my scores because recruits often go to other branches' recruiters waiving their scores in their hand to look for better jobs. I felt that was very strange and then asked him if I could come in the next day and see the paper anyway. He then said he'd just email me the line scores instead and sent me my GT(132), ST(128) and CO(125) and that's it.

I feel like this is a complete lie and although I feel like I know why he would say that (to keep me signing with the Army), I don't want my recruiter thinking I'm an idiot and a pushover. I should be able to have this for my own records, I mean, they're MY scores.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Be a good idea to submit this post in recruitment forum & move away from your intro.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Introduction Archive”