Injured Hamstring HELP!

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
glocky45
Ranger

Injured Hamstring HELP!

Post by glocky45 »

I have been unable to run or jog for 11 days now and I was told I have a bad hamstring strain from sprints. I thought it wouldn't be as big of a deal as it has been, also I tried very light jogging yesterday and it got a bit worse with bruising. The problem and reason for me posting this is, I am scheduled to ship to BCT on MARCH 12, I am hoping to receive guidance from any and all whom read this. I have heard if I tell my recruiter about my injury I have now, it will Disqualify me. And I have been told If I try and let it heal and then it re-injures during BCT I can be charged with fraudulent enlistment. As you can see my dilemma, how do I not get disqualified and possibly ship as scheduled?
GIVE WAR A CHANCE
TSAF
3/75 RLTW
ASUlaxman
Future Soldier

Re: Injured Hamstring HELP!

Post by ASUlaxman »

I can't speak on behalf of what to do in terms of your ship date/recruiter. I'm about to graduate with my B.S. in exercise and wellness and I strained my hami twice last year so I've got a little experience with them. If you have bruising you should DEFINITELY go see a doctor if you haven't already. I had a grade 2 tear in mine and never saw bruising but was out for a month and a half before I tried to come back and strained it again. My trainer told me that hamstring injuries always feel better before they really are, and she was speaking the truth. Running right now is bad idea, you have to take it easy. She had me icing 3-4 times a day 20 minutes on and 1 hour off and when I wasn't icing I had it wrapped with an ace bandage (not while sleeping). Ibuprofen is another thing I was taking to help out with recovery. Those are some basic things you can do to help alleviate the swelling and increase the blood flow. Every case and every person is different, those are just some things I did to help recovery. Go see a doctor and get a referral to a physical therapist! Wish you a speedy recovery my man.

Edit: The main point is don't mess around with that injury. You don't want it to screw you over when it matters most.
"It's not who wants it the most... When a man enters the ring he wants to win just as badly as the guy on the other side. The question is does he still want it as bad in the 12th round as he did when he entered the ring" - Tony Sanchez

68W option 4
Ship date: 20120918
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

glocky45 wrote:I have been unable to run or jog for 11 days now and I was told I have a bad hamstring strain from sprints. I thought it wouldn't be as big of a deal as it has been, also I tried very light jogging yesterday and it got a bit worse with bruising. The problem and reason for me posting this is, I am scheduled to ship to BCT on MARCH 12, I am hoping to receive guidance from any and all whom read this. I have heard if I tell my recruiter about my injury I have now, it will Disqualify me. And I have been told If I try and let it heal and then it re-injures during BCT I can be charged with fraudulent enlistment. As you can see my dilemma, how do I not get disqualified and possibly ship as scheduled?
Quit now. Obviously your weak constitution and/or genetic makeup will never allow you to be an Airborne Ranger.

Just kidding; don't be disheartened. See your recruiter about this. Ask him, in hypothetical terms, what would happen if say a certain recruit strained a hamstring a couple of weeks prior to shipping. Then make your decision based on the information he provides you. I doubt a strained hamstring will disqualify you from military service, or even negate your current contract. However; shipping to training too soon and totally destroying one of your legs will definitely disqualify you. Your recruiter knows how to play the game, and wants to see you ship if you are a qualified candidate. He will take care of you.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

Having gotten a hammi strain in the fire academy I can tell you this: Do notfuck around with this! You may feel 100%, but you wont be. All it takes is one half step in the wrong direction and you are back to square one. The Army will always be around. They aren't going anywhere. Get healed up properly, then go kick some ass.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “About Army Physical Training”