11x option 40

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
MJD23
Embryo

11x option 40

Post by MJD23 »

Goodmorning to all, my situation is starting to annoy me and i honestly dont get it at all and am looking for some guidance. I scored a 73 on asvab with a 114 GT score and i have been up front with my recruiter by telling him the only thing i want is infantry 11x with the option 40. They say theres no way your gonna get it it doesnt look to good in the future all this stuff. Why is it so far fetched. Im willing to wait its just i feel like im not getting any true help from them and am almost trying to be discouraged from even doing the mos that i want (infantry) with the option 40. I dont want to do chemical, medic, or anything and nothing against them i give them all the respect in the world its just there not in my interest. What do i do? Wait for a slot. There making it seem like there giving up, that theres no hope.
goon175
Ranger

Re: 11x option 40

Post by goon175 »

If it makes you feel any better, I check the system almost daily and have not seen 11x opt. 40 in about 3.5 months.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
MJD23
Embryo

Post by MJD23 »

Really? Thats weird. Do u have any suggestions or tips that will help? I there any insight to when theyll be available or should be available?
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

You don't need to ask any more questions - I'm not being rude to you - it's that this issue has been beat to death here in the last month or two and your concerns have been more than adequately dealt with.
Read throughout this forum, even in topics that don't appear relevant, and you will confirm what you already suspect. Look especially at Ranger Goon's posts as he works someplace where they are expected to know these things. The advice that we used to dispense here "accept nothing less than an Option 40" is no longer very relevant, especially for 11X, 13F and 68W.

One of the fundimental skills possesed of Rangers and others who work in high-risk occupations is their ability to assess risk and decide just what level they are willing to accept in order to complete a mission or to accomplish their goals.

You really want to be a Ranger? First accept the fact that with or without an Option 40, the odds are very small that you make it through the pipeline all the way to a scroll and are much smaller that you will still be there after a few months. You are certain to have enlisted for four years and are most likely to serve those years out in the Army, not in the Rangers. You're trading four years for the opportunity. Is it worth it to you?
(those are rheoterical questions, by the way.)

The best path into the Ranger Regiment for you is risky. It is spelled out in other threads in this forum. If you have the self-confidence required and find the risk level acceptable (the risk of failure, in this case), then just sign the damn line and you'll have a chance to earn your chance. This decision you face is simply the first step in the weeding out process. The best part is that there are no shouting sergeants or grueling drills involved. At this point, your fate is entirely up to you. Enjoy.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
MJD23
Embryo

Post by MJD23 »

Thank you for your response and your feelings on this issue. Everything you have stated has ran through my head. And the answer i always came up with is that yes it is worth it to get the contract with the option 40. I was originally going to go into infantry but researched more and more about sf and rangers and decided that this is the path i want to go on. I am just being persistant on obtaining the option to guarantee a slot at going to rasp and proving myself to be in the regiment with no question doubts or concerns as if im going to get the opportunity to go and when that opportunity will present itself. Im joining the army for my personal reasons and its something ive been waiting to do for awhile now. I want to serve with the best, be the best and make it as smooth as possible for me. To get the opportunity of having the option 40 there and take full advantage of the priviledge i was given to me and to join the regiment. I understand what im going to do have to go through and that the odds are completely against me when it comes to getting the scroll and making it throughtout my career in the army as a ranger in the regiment. But thats something that i have to prove to all. Im going into rasp knowing that every one of my evalutors expect me to not make it through those eight weeks and i will not graduate and become a ranger. Thats my responsibility to prove them wrong and just keep on going and doing every order im told to do to the best of my ability and just do. not. quit.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I am sure your persistence will pay off eventually. That being said, I don't think your recruiters are jerking you around at this point. The opt. 40's were coming out pretty regularly this whole year for a few days each month. For approx. the last three months, the only jobs that have been coming up with opt. 40's are the support jobs. I find it odd that the 11x, 13f and 68w jobs haven't been showing opt. 40's like they had all year. The only explanation is that the opt. 40 is an INCENTIVE not an MOS. It is treated like a cash bonus or college repayment by the recruiting community. Something to entice you to join. Well, since the Army cutting waay back, and they have no issues getting people to join the active duty right now, the bonus's have all but been taken away, only a few MOS's come with student loan repayment, and only low density, priority MOS's are coming with options 4 or 40. Do I think this will eventually change? Yes. Do I know when it will change? No. Will there be more drastic cuts to what is available before it gets better? Probably. Are your recruiters dirtbags for not pouring all of their daily efforts into you? No, they are busy people, and don't have time to pursue your needle in the proverbial hay stack. I am sure if they saw one available, they would call you and let you know. But just realize, they have other priorities right now.

Now, one thing to recognize, what the Regiment needs and what the recruiting command needs are two drastically different things. That is why it is easy to get a RASP slot in AIT right now. The Ranger Recruiting team is ACTIVELY recruiting good soldiers. I personally have helped two of my guys get RASP slots in AIT, one from sill the other from benning. So, the guarantee of an opt. 40 is nice, but in all reality you could be waiting for a call from your recruiter thats not coming any time soon, when you could have already gotten OSUT and airborne out of the way and be on your way down the road to pre-rasp. It's up to you, and I completely understand why one would hold out, but from my vantage point, it just might not be the best way right now. All we can do is dispense advice, its your life, do what you feel comfortable with.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
MJD23
Embryo

Post by MJD23 »

thanks for the info, greatly appreciated. The thing is that i have already payed off my college tuition for this spring semester so i will be done around may. So that being said i can go to MEPS and wait a couple of months hopefully to get that option 40. i mean if i have the time and theres really no rush whats the sense in not waiting and rushing a contract now when hopefully a slot will open up sometime between now and may. But thanks for all the advice i realize I'm not the only one joining the army there are tons of other priorities they are focusing on and not just one person. If you have any leads or suspicion on opt. 40's going into the system a PM would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the advice and info.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Good plan, I will be posting something once this opt. 40 drought seems to be ending
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Understand that you don't just waltz into a recruiting station on Monday & be getting yelled at by drill sergeants on wednesday. The process takes months. A friend was sworn in a week ago and he doesn't ship until May - as in finals week.
So waiting in hopes of the Opt 40s open up won't hurt so long as you're planning on sticking around a little longer, but if you're looking to go, then go and sign. It is possible (albiet not probable) to renegotiate an opt.40 if they open up later. So long as you know the lay of the land, you can make an informed decision. Meanwhile, use your time well & do the best you can in school - it does matter and it is the standard expected in the Regiment for every duty you assume or are assigned.

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
VIPER--00
Ranger

Post by VIPER--00 »

MJD23 wrote:Goodmorning to all, my situation is starting to annoy me and i honestly dont get it at all and am looking for some guidance. I scored a 73 on asvab with a 114 GT score and i have been up front with my recruiter by telling him the only thing i want is infantry 11x with the option 40. They say theres no way your gonna get it it doesnt look to good in the future all this stuff. Why is it so far fetched. Im willing to wait its just i feel like im not getting any true help from them and am almost trying to be discouraged from even doing the mos that i want (infantry) with the option 40. I dont want to do chemical, medic, or anything and nothing against them i give them all the respect in the world its just there not in my interest. What do i do? Wait for a slot. There making it seem like there giving up, that theres no hope.

Oh yeah, you have nothing against them do you? The Chem guys, and the guys who will save your life when you get shot in the side somewhere?

WHAT THE FUCK DO YOU KNOW ABOUT SHIT! NOTHING! THATS WHAT.

GET YOUR ASS IN THERE AND SIGN AN INFANTRY CONTRACT IF YOUR MAN ENOUGH YOU WILL END UP IN REGIMENT.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Viper knows whereof he speaks.
The most assured paths to Regiment are non-trigger pulling MOSs. Some of those are the toughest roads and greatest challanges (Ranger medic anyone?) Look at 68W, likely the toughest MOS to succeed in in getting all the way through the pipeline. Also, the best chance at getting your chance. Probably the most respected man in the platoon, if you're half way good enough anyway. One of the few Ranger jobs where your job is always real-world and never make-believe firing blanks. A place where your brain is as important as your brawn.
A goofy Ranger intel clerk, who might rarely see an objective with his own eyes will be responsible for killing and capturing more bad guys than any platoon of 11Bs. As you'll learn, everything goes downhill if the chow isn't good and the cooks can't work it if someone isn't getting them the stuff.
Not every job is glorious or prestigious as the tip of the spear, but that spearhead is made hard, sharp and is pointed by and propelled by other (sometimes invisable) Rangers.

Take a broader view and see what truly fits you, you might be surprised. If it comes back to 11x, then so much the better for you'll know, rather than just want.
Now this time, I really will bow out of this thread. :)

RS 9-76

goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I guess you didn't read this part:
what the Regiment needs and what the recruiting command needs are two drastically different things. That is why it is easy to get a RASP slot in AIT right now.
Your assumption that the drawdown of conventional forces having anything to do with the need for Rangers or special operations in general is very ill informed.
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

There is always a need for Rangers. Several times, I found I got a good (difficult--not easy) job because I was a Ranger.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”