Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

S.A.WRESTLER
Egg

Introduction

Post by S.A.WRESTLER »

Hey, I am a 22 year old junior at the United States Air Force Academy. On the wrestling team and have wrestled since I was 10 years old. I'm not going to lie and say I always wanted to be a Ranger, as I honestly haven't. I actually was looking to cross commission to the Navy and compete for a slot at BUD/S, but when I sent my packet up I was medically DQ'd for not being able to pass the depth perception test. This was the same reason I go DQ'd for being a Special Tactics Officer or Air Liaison Officer in the Air Force. My ultimate goal is to actually lead men and not just sit behind a desk, so I've really started to look at cross commissioning to the Army as an infantry officer with hopes of eventually getting into the 75th Ranger Regiment.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Introduction

Post by Steadfast »

excerpt of S.A.WRESTLER wrote: Hey, I am a 22 year old junior at the United States Air Force Academy.

Welcome.

Is this how you walk into a room where there are seasoned & hardened veterans from all services -with mothers & fathers looking on.
Hey?
Minga! Mama mia! Where has respect gone. Don't answer this question, just don't do it, again.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Welcome cadet.
Even in the unlikely event that you have what it takes to get into the RR as an officer, timing matters almost preclude it. You'll have to be finishing a successful assignment at the level you hope to enter Regiment at at the same time a projected vacancy appears, and if an infantry officer, be selected from a stack of dozens or hundreds of packets of other hard charging competitors.

Not trying to be a complete buzzkill, but since you came across as motivated and I suspect that this disqual would apply to the Rangers as well, I would encourage you to look into commissioning in the Marine Corps. There you will almost certainly be able to take the fight to whoever we're fighting then. Army or marinees, try to get jump school before you commission as that will make options easier to get if you've checked that first box.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
S.A.WRESTLER
Egg

Post by S.A.WRESTLER »

Thank you for the advice Ranger Ingraham. I have definitely thought of commissioning into the Marine Corps, but recently had shoulder surgery due to an injury I sustained in wrestling this season. I won't be ready to go 100% again until the end of May, and to cross commission to the Marines requires I attend a summer program where I know I will not be up to my own or the Marines' standards of physical conditioning. If I do something, I like to do it 100% and not give less than my best effort. Our school has a major in the athletic department who was a member of the 75th and I plan on talking with him about it. I know it will be hard to get in the 75th as you said, but anything in life worth having is going to be hard. The first step is getting my packet approved for the cross commission so that's what I'm focused on the most now. Luckily there is a senior on our team who is also trying to go that route and he has given me all his materials that he turned in last fall. He finds out next if he got approved for the cross commission. Thanks again for the advice, I greatly appreciate it.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

PM me and I will come and give you a reality check. Never, never quit.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Introduction Archive”