RS before going green to gold?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

RS before going green to gold?

Post by blueskiesalways »

3rd time trying to post this, please delete it if you end up with duplicates. (internal server error)Tried the search button but couln't seem to narrow it down. Also, wasn't sure of the right section to post this so don't shoot me if it's wrong ty :?

Doing some reasearch regarding my 3rd Batt son, who has some options coming up soon. (Q)- For someone already at Batt would you suggest getting their Ranger tab prior to going the green to gold route?...(Q)- Do you go to RS anyway if you go green to gold?
He was in college before he enlisted. He scored very high on the tests but wanted to go the option 40 route before he made the required officer time commitment.
Thanks for your time and service.
Last edited by blueskiesalways on January 20th, 2012, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mom - One former 1/75 Ranger warrior......One current 3/75 Ranger warrior
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: RS before going green to gold?

Post by Jim »

Let me give you my background: Staff Sergeant with three years in Vietnam. Went to OCS, spent a couple days at jump refresher, then Ranger School. Army let me do degree completion while I recovered from a jump injury. Went on to lead rifle, support and anti-tank platoons; commanded two companies and a battalion.

If I were a young man today, I would certainly try to get Ranger School before entering ROTC. Why? Because it will set him apart from the rest of the ROTC cadets. He will have greater opportunities for leadership positions as a cadet. In addition as a Bat Boy, he will complete his training with lots of support from other Bat Boys. That is my perspective.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
blueskiesalways
Ranger Mom

Post by blueskiesalways »

Thank you for the reply Ranger Jim. Another question if you don't mind. (Q)- Is Batt willing to let you go green to gold after spending so much money training you as a Ranger, or would he have to use it as a reenlistment option?
Mom - One former 1/75 Ranger warrior......One current 3/75 Ranger warrior
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

I'm no expert on that. I've had soldiers go green to gold, but it is normally done as an administrative action. A training experience like completing Ranger School would be an added qualification for almost anyone. How many deployments has he had?
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”