Jacob Sitrep

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
jmc2282
Embryo

Jacob Sitrep

Post by jmc2282 »

Well got a call from my recruiter today he said that he got his first sergeant to check the ROC, and they said that they are all out of 11x option 40s for this year. In disbelief i contacted a ranger recruiter from the go army site and to my surprise he said the same thing, they are all out. The ranger recruiter said to enlist on a 11x option 4 then come see him at Sand Hill once i am finished with airborne school. My recruiter said that he does have a 11x option 4 contract for me but I said I will not sign anything right away except if its a ranger contract. So he said he will just keep calling and keep checking the system daily just in case somebody drops their contract. If i can not get a 11x option 40 before I graduate I will sign the option 4 contract in hopes of get a shot after airborne school. My PT scores were in the low 300s but i strained my back and then got the flu so i havent worked out in almost 3 weeks, but i will start back up monday.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Jacob Sitrep

Post by Steadfast »

Read anything posted by Ranger goon175 in these forums. It'll help you.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
jmc2282
Embryo

Post by jmc2282 »

This is just kind of a update from the previous post. I thought the ranger recruiter said option 4 but he really said option 5 which from what I read a little about is a unassigned contract. Any advice in this matter.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I have never heard of an option 5 contract, and the army does not do unassigned contracts - you MUST have a job reserved at time of enlistment.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
jmc2282
Embryo

Post by jmc2282 »

I just emailed the ranger recruiter back earlier today to get more info on the contract and the guarantees and the ifs that come with it. In one of his previous emails he stated that it did guaranteed me a slot at airborne school. I dont know. This whole situation sound kind of fishy to me. But once he emails me back I will contact my recruiter and discuss it with him. Just dont know where my recruiter was when all of these contracts were being handed out, and how they all can be gone till October 2012.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

I wouldn't pester the Ranger recruiter too much. He works for the 75th Ranger Regiment, not USAREC, so has no sway or knowledge over what your recruiter does. Here is a break down:

Contract for 11X - Unnasigned Infantry. This means your MOS will be either 11B (Light Infantry) or 11C (Infantry Mortarman). You are guaranteed nothing beyond Infantry OSUT with this, but it is possible to volunteer for airborne, or Ranger (which includes airborne) or Special Forces.

Contract for 11X opt. 4- All of the above, except that you now are guaranteed to go to Airborne School after Infantry OSUT. The Ranger liason works AT airborne school. He is primarily there for Regimental recruiting at the airborne school and at OSUT, because the Regiment knows not everyone that should have an option 40, has one.

Contract for 11X opt. 40 - All of the above, but now you are guaranteed to go to Pre RASP, as long as you pass airborne school. This is where the guarantee's end. Once you get picked up by the Regiment's cadre, all bets are off and the Army has fulfilled it's obligation. If you quit, get hurt, or the Regiment decides they don't want you, then you will be assigned according to needs of the Army.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010

Return to “Recruitment Process”