Infantryman vs Medic

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Re: Infantryman vs Medic

Post by NeverSayDie »

Baseplate wrote:So you don't want to be a medic because you are afraid you are going to be too good? Don't get carried away with yourself
Negative Ranger Baseplate. I Don't want to be a medic becuase I prefer to be in the infantry. I simply want to be able to fill in as a medic for the men I will be fighting alongside should one not be available.
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Re: Infantryman vs Medic

Post by Sleepy Doc »

There are two situations concerning this that come to mind, They were relayed to me by the non-medics I personally trained as first responders.

Unfortunately, in the first one, a brother Ranger died in a training accident. I felt guilty for not having been there to work on the Ranger personally because it was my old platoon.. That is, until I found out who the medic and first responders were on scene. The medic was my old boss who was one of the most skilled operators I have ever seen. The first responders, as I said, I trained personally and would take them over a "Big Army" medic any day and twice on Sunday. Realizing these men were there put my mind at ease knowing that they did everything in their power to save him, and ultimately there was nothing else that could have been done.

The second instance is talking to brothers who have done multiple tours OCONUS, and were involved in things like the battle of Haditha Dam. Over and over again non-medics have told me that the skill-set we taught them absolutely made a difference, and they were able to administer aid that brought Rangers and other Soldiers home.

Food for thought.
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi

Return to “The Mosh Pit”