Infantryman vs Medic

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Infantryman vs Medic

Post by NeverSayDie »

Rangers,

I have the ball rolling on my second attempt at enlistment and an OP40 (bout damn time right? :lol: ). I've narrowed down my MOS of preference to Infantry or Medic. When it comes time to reserve a slot for one or the other I know I'll need to make my decision right there on the spot. Since we're talking about at least four years of my life here, I want to be fully informed and ready to make the correct decision.

I want the security of knowing a skill set applicable in the civilian sector should I ever decide to leave the army.However, I also want to be the first one through the door everytime. I'm aware Regimental Medics are far from being "in the rear with the gear", but I also know their primary duty is to tend to the wounded, not sending lead downrange (and extremist scumbags to the next life) Essentialy I'm having a very hard time deciding if I want to patch up the holes in people, or put them there.

How would I go about getting one as a primary, and the other as a secondary MOS?

Any tales of experiences from men who have served as one (or both) in Regiment, as well as why you chose the feild you did, and how rewarding it was for you would be deeply appreciated,

-NSD
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
snafu
Ranger

Re: Infantryman vs Medic

Post by snafu »

NeverSayDie wrote: How would I go about getting one as a primary, and the other as a secondary MOS?

-NSD
Enlist as one and then re-enlist for the other when your window comes up.

Although I think you'll be more than satisfied with either of these MOSs. Both occupations are highly desireable in the private sector depending on what you want to do.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
scar
Ranger

Post by scar »

68W1V. Medic with a Ranger tab, thus making your secondary MOS 11B
3/75 C 1-1

RS 01-10
RSOVRanger
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RSOVRanger »

I'll second scar. If you like the trigger pulling portion and you hang long enough to get your shit, just 4187 to be infantry at that point.
Aco & HHC 3/75 May98-Apr04
Aco 4/23 INF Apr04-Jun06
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

If you go medic, you will have to make a more personal effort at BCT to improve your running than you would at infantry BCT: You might be stuck in a co-ed BCT unit with truck drivers, clerks, supply troops, MI, etc. Make damn sure you go to the next faster run group than your initial PT test indicates, and do so as soon as possible; your Drill Sergeants are unlikely to turn you down on that one. Also, volunteer to be a "road guard", which will involve sprinting ahead of the run formation to block a road, then sprinting back to your place in the formation after it passes the road.

I hear they do a pretty good job of run improvement at medic AIT, but you sure as hell don't want to wait until then to improve your running.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

Bear in mind, if you take 68W, you more than likely will have to apply for Ranger at AIT, as opposed to getting an 11x opt. 40 right off the bat.

Also, from my own personal experience, I have seen a few 11B's in Regiment switch to 68W, but I have never seen any 68W's ( in Regiment) switch to 11B.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

goon175 wrote:Bear in mind, if you take 68W, you more than likely will have to apply for Ranger at AIT, as opposed to getting an 11x opt. 40 right off the bat.

Also, from my own personal experience, I have seen a few 11B's in Regiment switch to 68W, but I have never seen any 68W's ( in Regiment) switch to 11B.
This mirrors my experience in big Army.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Jim wrote:
goon175 wrote:Also, from my own personal experience, I have seen a few 11B's in Regiment switch to 68W, but I have never seen any 68W's ( in Regiment) switch to 11B.
NSD, these reactions should tell you something.

There's some other threads on this very topic around ehre somewhere, some of those discussions might be helpful.

RQT was here
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Sleepy Doc
Ranger

Post by Sleepy Doc »

K.Ingraham wrote:
Jim wrote:
goon175 wrote:Also, from my own personal experience, I have seen a few 11B's in Regiment switch to 68W, but I have never seen any 68W's ( in Regiment) switch to 11B.
NSD, these reactions should tell you something.

There's some other threads on this very topic around ehre somewhere, some of those discussions might be helpful.

RQT was here

Kinda Like here..

viewtopic.php?f=34&t=52311&sid=42a6ae7c ... 653085d3be
B Co 3/75 '95-'99
4th RTB '00-'01

"ahh, Daniel-san.. When balance good, Karate good...everything good!.." K. Miyagi
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

Rangers,

I think I have this figured out. What it come down to is I actually do not want to BE a medic, I want to be an infantryman. The medical feild is something I find fascinating and the only real job I can see myself ever doing in the civilain sector is working an ER or an ambulance rig, but its not the role I want to fill in combat. I just want TO HAVE THE SKILLS of a medic.

Hearing a lane walker stroll through my objective yelling "YOUR DEAD! YOUR DEAD! YOUR DEAD! EVERYONE BUT YOU THREE OVER THERE ARE DEAD, AND YOU, YOU HAVE NO LIMBS! NOW YOU TWO GET YOUR SQUAD OUT OF HERE!" "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING? HES DEAD AND YOU HAVE A WOUNDED SQUADMATE OVER THERE! THINK THE BREATHING ONE MIGHT HAVE PRIORITY? AND YOOOOUUUU!!! DID YOU NOT HEAR ME WHEN I SAID HE STEPPED ON A LANDMINE? THERES NOTHING LEFT TO CARRY! HE'S JUST A PINK MIST ! FUCKING MOVE IT!" really drove it home for me that I will see some nasty shit; and when I do I want to be ready to save whoever I can. I dont want to sweep through a house, yell clear, and then look over at my battle buddy - all sorts of fucked up - and not know what to do.

I hear from Ranger Ingraham that all Rangers are being trained in the basics of medical care now, but I want to know more then the basics. What happens if the medic has his hands full with more than one or two casualties? What happens if the medic gets hit? I want to be prepared for that.

Ranger The Sleepy Doc,

Thank you for posting that link, with a full course load, My rotc duties, enlistment paperwork, and seasonal job hunting, I havent had the time to search as much as I should.

goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

The training given to Ranger's is a little more than "just the basics" (unless you consider starting an I.V., inserting a nasal pharyngeal, applying an ashermans chest seal, doing a needle decompression, etc. the basics) and most E-4/E-5's are given the opportunity to get NREMT-I certification, which includes ambulance ride alongs and everything. So yeah, you learn quite a bit more than just how to apply a torniquet. And just remember, the best battlefield medicine is superior fire power.

A little food for thought....

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/fa ... -?PageNr=1
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

goon175 wrote:The training given to Ranger's is a little more than "just the basics" (unless you consider starting an I.V., inserting a nasal pharyngeal, applying an ashermans chest seal, doing a needle decompression, etc. the basics) and most E-4/E-5's are given the opportunity to get NREMT-I certification, which includes ambulance ride alongs and everything. So yeah, you learn quite a bit more than just how to apply a torniquet. And just remember, the best battlefield medicine is superior fire power.

A little food for thought....

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/fa ... -?PageNr=1
Ranger goon175,

I do not consider those the basics. I assumed that the Regiment would give medical training to its assualters superior to any other unit, and training to its medics superior to any other units medics, and from the looks of that article I wasn't wrong; but a Regimental medic is still more highly trained in medicine then Regimental infantry. As a future Infantryman I never want to see the day I'm under fire with all my medics dead or otherwise combat ineffective, and the only way I can think of to ensure that... is to be trained as one.

snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

NeverSayDie wrote:I do not consider those the basics. I assumed that the Regiment would give medical training to its assualters superior to any other unit, and training to its medics superior to any other units medics, and from the looks of that article I wasn't wrong; but a Regimental medic is still more highly trained in medicine then Regimental infantry. As a future Infantryman I never want to see the day I'm under fire with all my medics dead or otherwise combat ineffective, and the only way I can think of to ensure that... is to be trained as one.

Your concerns throughout this thread are warranted, but it seems like you're more worried about a lack of training or preparation in the event that the above does happen. You will receive excellent medical training in Regt as ALL Rangers do, regardless of MOS. It's taken very seriously. As previously stated, you will also have opportunities to gain extra medical training outside of Regt. Should the worst happen, you will know what to do.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

snafu wrote:
NeverSayDie wrote:I do not consider those the basics. I assumed that the Regiment would give medical training to its assualters superior to any other unit, and training to its medics superior to any other units medics, and from the looks of that article I wasn't wrong; but a Regimental medic is still more highly trained in medicine then Regimental infantry. As a future Infantryman I never want to see the day I'm under fire with all my medics dead or otherwise combat ineffective, and the only way I can think of to ensure that... is to be trained as one.

Your concerns throughout this thread are warranted, but it seems like you're more worried about a lack of training or preparation in the event that the above does happen. You will receive excellent medical training in Regt as ALL Rangers do, regardless of MOS. It's taken very seriously. As previously stated, you will also have opportunities to gain extra medical training outside of Regt. Should the worst happen, you will know what to do.
Ranger snafu,

I'm not so much concerned I will recieve sub-standard training, as being hypervigilant that I exceed the standard.

They say always be prepared to do the job of the man two ranks above you. Why should'nt that apply to combat medicine?

Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

So you don't want to be a medic because you are afraid you are going to be too good? Don't get carried away with yourself
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister

Return to “The Mosh Pit”