Introduction-Rob

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

phrozenone
Tadpole

Introduction-Rob

Post by phrozenone »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Robert, (Rob) 22 currently in the DEP as an 11X. Id like thank you all for creating such an informative and interactive website, it has helped me out greatly so far and am hoping to gain valuable insight all the way along my road to regiment. With that being said here's the drop on myself in a nutsell (the good , the bad and the ugly).

2 years ago I enrolled in the ROTC program, did well my first year, established myself as a PT stud, and overall high speed cadet. My second year wasnt so hot, I became too distracted from the ROTC, i.e., extra curricular activities, friends, fraternities, didnt like the progan anymore, etc. On top of that my grades were slipping and I was constantly clashing with my fellow cadets. Long story short, I was dis-enrolled from the program (for the better I believe) and spent some time working, recovering and deciding my next move.

Lessons learned from my past mistakes in ROTC I believe has matured me, and has exposed my strengths and weaknesses, and I feel that as an enlisted soldier I have a far greater chance of succeeding. I respect the ROTC program, and our Officers, but I am now sure that Officer life isnt for for me at this moment.

My long term goal is to serve in the 18 series, but I have a few college loans to clear up beforehand, and maybe some extra maturity and knowledge as well. My short term goal is to graduate top 2% of my class @ OSUT and hopefully receive, an ABN, or RASP slot.

Here are the stats:

GT:113

Army DEP administered PT test

PU:100
SU:70
2 Mile: 14:18

The SU's and 2 mile are subpar IMO, mostly because I took a huge break from running to let my achilles heal up. All advice or support from here on would be greatly appreciated and I will my best to help out as when when needed to keep this site going.

That is all.
Ship date: 20111011
Worldweaver
Ranger

Re: Introduction-Rob

Post by Worldweaver »

phrozenone wrote:My long term goal is to serve in the 18 series, but I have a few college loans to clear up beforehand, and maybe some extra maturity and knowledge as well. My short term goal is to graduate top 2% of my class @ OSUT and hopefully receive, an ABN, or RASP slot.
What does the college loans have to do with 18x? Do you think that Ranger Regiments standards are less than that of Special Forces?

I do agree with you, sounds like you need some "extra maturity and knowledge"

RLTW
Go Tell the Spartans, stranger passing by, that here obedient to their laws we lie.
--Simonides

Bco. 1/75 2006-2010
RS 06-08
phrozenone
Tadpole

Post by phrozenone »

Hello Ranger Worldweaver,

you are right college loans arent an immediate DQ from Special Forces, and hopefully not from Ranger Regiment either (Im not sure) and I didnt intend to sound like Ranger Regiment standards are less than Special Forces standards. I have tremendous respect for both elements, and hopefully Ill get the chance to serve in both in my lifetime, but as for now I have my goals set on serving as a Ranger. So this will be the last time I mention anything about "SF" anywhere on this forum. Thank you for your time, and hopefully that cleared things up.
phrozenone
Tadpole

Post by phrozenone »

Greetings,

Roger that Ranger ZoneIV, I will definitely benefit as I strive to keep improving in that department. And as for the taste of failure, I damn sure wont let that happen again, not to sound corny but, I'm back with a vengeance (I've got some things to prove to myself now). and this time I'm ready to go all out and give my undivided attention to the task at hand.

Thank you for your time, Have a good day.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Rob . . .

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
phrozenone
Tadpole

Post by phrozenone »

Thanks Ranger CharlieRanger1FFV!
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Welcome...
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
phrozenone
Tadpole

Post by phrozenone »

Thank you Ranger JIm.
phrozenone
Tadpole

Post by phrozenone »

Ranger Jim**
Silverback
Ranger

Post by Silverback »

Why didn't you negotiate Student Loan repayment? What part of the story have you left out? Something does not make sense.

Sent by Droid
RC 2-87
3-75 84/85, 95/97
"thnks 4 pratn merku!"
phrozenone
Tadpole

Post by phrozenone »

I was dismissed from the program in 2009 with the option to either join immediately after graduation( or dis-enrollment from college) OR sign up for payment plan option with no army enlistment. I decided to choose the latter, and finished out another year of school on my own while working part time time. I choose the latter because DID NOT want to go into another military contract at the time...I wanted to re-asses myself and my situation, I probably would've chosen to be a cook or something. (no disrespect to the cooks) .

2010 I take a break from school and started working full time to save up money (to pay for my last year and for a car) and to really come up with a good plan for myself. First as a set up guy for sports and concerts, but they cut everyones hours and it suddenly wasnt enough pay, barely enough for rent, so I found another job as a doorman/bouncer for a comedy club, and lastly a real job (wasnt a good job just some warehouse 7- 5:30 slanging pallets all day) job, anyways I had had some "pretty good times" running 3 miles to and from work and coming home to my little studio apartment with just enough time to catch a few hours and do it all again. At one point I even got up to running 13 (no BS) miles a day until I finally bought a bike for transportation ( I went through like 3 of em, walmart peices of ****)

In May I decided to go ahead an visit my local recruiter, I was in the best shape I had been in my whole life, and felt as if I had greatly matured . The bottom line was the whole "saving up" thing wasnt working out realistically, as I was barely making enough to get by, the only thing really happening is that I was was getting older and wasting my life away. So I decided to sign a contract ASAP before its too late. I originally had an option 40 contract, but my recruiter didnt schedule me for MEPS in accordance with the reservation and I lost it. But to me it was no biggie 11x was still a win in my book so I took it, I didnt really feel like I had a whole lot of time to wait around. So In a nutshell thats what Ive been up to for a year and some change.
phrozenone
Tadpole

Post by phrozenone »

o yea before I forget...Ranger Zonk 1/75 I was on scholarship and lost my ride, bottom line.
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

you realize that you could get college loan repayment in your contract..for up to 65k....right?
you realize your recruiter can still get an opt. 40 added on to your contract....right?

And, worldweaver correct me if I'm wrong here, but I don't think he cares if you talk about SF, SF and Rangering are two drastically different jobs, so if you want to be SF, get an SF contract, don't take a Ranger contract from someone who actually wants to be a Ranger. The Ranger Regiment is not a stepping stone.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010

Return to “Introduction Archive”