GOP candidate military service

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

colt1rgr
Ranger

Re: GOP candidate military service

Post by colt1rgr »

goon175 wrote: Maybe I just have this fantasy vision of the perfect candidate and I am just doomed to be dissapointed for the rest of my voting life. such is life...
Buddy I am with you! Trust me on that one. But I am desperately afraid that we are at the brink here. What Barry is doing is not just unconstitutional its down right scary. This MFer has no intention of relinquishing power. I would vote for Mickey Mouse over this POS as long as old Mickey is salutin' our flag :lol:
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Well at least Perry was USAF.

Errr, maybe that's a reason for you folks to vote against him :roll: On second thought; advantage Romney. I guess. :lol:
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Perry has my vote! Until I see someone better, which I do not see, but regardless ANYONE but Barry.

"HAIL OBAMA!"
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Dangit wrote:
colt1rgr wrote:Perry has my vote! Until I see someone better, which I do not see, but regardless ANYONE but Barry.

"HAIL OBAMA!"
Roger that, and I'm thinking he needs to tag Allen West for a running mate.
Roger that! OR Marco Rubio, winning ticket for the GOP and Freedom loving Americans either way! :wink:

Rosie
Egg

Post by Rosie »

Ranger Steadfast :
Steadfast wrote: On Mitt: I believe it was the Mormon Church decided where he was to go. He may have had a few choices to pick from.
You are correct. The Mormon Church chooses where their missionaries go, but there are no choices. Romney, and anyone else for that matter, had no choice of where to go, no list of places to pick from. Talents and language skills have almost no bearing on where you go. My buddy is Mexican and went to Japan, my cousin barely graduated high school and went to Russia. I speak French and Arabic and I went to Seattle, where we had other missionaries from China, Haiti, and Brazil. My dad speaks no foreign languages and went to Texas, my grandpa speaks German and got called to the American South, but got drafted for the Korean War and didn't take a deferment.
C-MAC wrote:I dunno.

There is a fairly good list of Mormons that served in the military. Not extensive, but certainly it exists.
If I may submit a few names, COL David Haight (Ranger PL in Panama), Lance Wickman (Ranger, got a purple heart in Vietnam), Bruce Carlson (USAF), Robert Oaks (USAF). The top three current Mormon leaders, the "First Presidency," are veterans (U.S. Navy, Luftwaffe, and U.S. Army), and five of their governing body of twelve apostles are veterans. The four most senior in that group didn't go on missions because of their military service.

Mormonsim doesn't prohibit it, going into the military is very much encouraged, but Romney apparently didn't find it important enough to go through with it. Instead he chose to go to school the year before his mission and get married within a couple of months after returning home. I understand how that could be a disappointment with some veterans, and I'm not going to defend him on that point.

I hope this doesn't come off as preachy at all. As a Mormon in military service I'm eager to fill in the gaps in conversations like these, but I don't want to be too eager.
Last edited by Rosie on October 25th, 2011, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
تبكي بكاء النساء على ملك لم تصنه صون الرجال
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

That is actually all very interesting. Didn't know some of that about the Morman religion.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

"The top three current Mormon leaders, the "First Presidency," are veterans (U.S. Navy, Luftwaffe, and U.S. Army), and five of their governing body of twelve apostles are veterans."

:shock: Old one or new one ? :D
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
Rosie
Egg

Post by Rosie »

IntelToad wrote:"The top three current Mormon leaders, the "First Presidency," are veterans (U.S. Navy, Luftwaffe, and U.S. Army), and five of their governing body of twelve apostles are veterans."

:shock: Old one or new one ? :D

Hahahaha, West Germany in the new one. Well, if the 1960s is new enough. That's the last thing the Mormons need for their image, a leader who bombed London during the Blitz. :oops:
تبكي بكاء النساء على ملك لم تصنه صون الرجال
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

goon175 wrote:Maybe I just have this fantasy vision of the perfect candidate and I am just doomed to be dissapointed for the rest of my voting life. such is life...
There is no perfect candidate. Reagan, the litmus test of Republicans, experimented with communism and democrats at an early age.

JFK slept with Nazi spies, had his daddy cover it up and then sent him to the Pacific, where he was the only dumbass who couldn't outrun a slow lumbering Japanese ship with a PT boat.

FDR was an alcoholic that drank 8 to 10 martinis a day, used astrologers as advisors, and cheated on his wife.

Lincoln was a railroad lawyer who was schizophrenic, took opium, and wanted to send the Blacks back to Africa

I could go on and on, but no one is perfect. Everyone is human. The guy who is awarded a Medal of Honor today, may end up having a DUI or committing suicide later.

The great presidents aren't based upon what they did before they got in office, it is what they did when they were in there.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

That is some great perspective.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Just because someone is a veteran, does not ensure that he is on our side. Vets include John Kerry, Ted Kennedy. Non-vets include "Ike" Skelton, Kay Bailey Hutchinson. It all depends on the individual.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

rgrokelley wrote:
goon175 wrote:Maybe I just have this fantasy vision of the perfect candidate and I am just doomed to be dissapointed for the rest of my voting life. such is life...
JFK slept with Nazi spies, had his daddy cover it up and then sent him to the Pacific, where he was the only dumbass who couldn't outrun a slow lumbering Japanese ship with a PT boat.

Rumour has it that McArthur wanted little Johnny's ass nailed with a court martial. Seems the real deal is that JFK's crew was out there asleep, floating around. PT boats were not to stop when out on patrol for any reason. Of course "Bootlegger Daddy" and his political influence assured that wasn't happening.

colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Jim wrote:Just because someone is a veteran, does not ensure that he is on our side. Vets include John Kerry, Ted Kennedy. Non-vets include "Ike" Skelton, Kay Bailey Hutchinson. It all depends on the individual.

Exactly! Kudos for MLK who nailed it with the "judging men by the content of their character" line. I haven't seen ANY content on the DEMs side LATELY and to be honest the Repub ranks are pretty thin as well.

rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

colt1rgr wrote:
Jim wrote:Just because someone is a veteran, does not ensure that he is on our side. Vets include John Kerry, Ted Kennedy. Non-vets include "Ike" Skelton, Kay Bailey Hutchinson. It all depends on the individual.

Exactly! Kudos for MLK who nailed it with the "judging men by the content of their character" line. I haven't seen ANY content on the DEMs side LATELY and to be honest the Repub ranks are pretty thin as well.
If I had to go with content of character from all the Republicans going for president right now, I would go with Cain or Santorum. The rest have problems in their past. However, see earlier post. Everyone has problems. Imagine if we ran for office... what shit they would use against us.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85

Return to “The Mosh Pit”