Muscle Repair.

Caring for the warriors: How medics contribute to mission accomplishment.
Who Do?
Tadpole

Muscle Repair.

Post by Who Do? »

Six months ago I spent a week in the hospital due to appendicitus (I guess my appendix had turned gangrene and was about to fall apart.) During the appendectomy they cut 3 small spots; one below my lower right rib, one above my belly button, and one a few inches below that one. They had a hole a few inches to the right of the last one that they left the drain in for a few days. They also cut a spot in the center of them about 4 inches long.

Recently i've been trying to get back into shape and i've been feeling a dull ache in that area especially around the spot they had that drain. They didn't give me much info on it, and i've since moved away from my doctor. Basically I was wondering if my muscles will fuse back together like the were beforehand, if theres any chance that some type of excersize (rucking particularly) could tear those spots back open, or if that ache should be expected due to scar tissue?
Ranger Bell wrote:You fellas are men, or soon to be. Act like it. Ya want something, get it. She's cute? Take her. hahahahahhaa
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

you probably still have some scar tissue left. consult the doctor before you do any serious megadeath PT. For right now do some maintenace PT and if you have any problems ease back a bit on intensity. The last thing you want is a torn abdominal muscle. If it gets real bad, see if you can get a consult for a physical therapist.
Narrow Gauge RR
Tadpole

Post by Narrow Gauge RR »

I have torn my abdominal muscles and my thigh muscle and both times the doc told me to use moist heat and take ibuprofin. They have healed up well. For moist heat I just used steaming hot towels and put a heating pad on top of it.

p.s. Take it easy like they said. A torn ab muscle is pure hell. I couldn't get out of bed, it hurt so bad I was vomitting, and there was hard spot on my stomach from where blood had pooled up that felt like a wasp sting any time I touched it. The quadricep tear wasn't as painful and didn't take as long to heal, I think mainly because it wasn't a "core" muscle that I used everytime I moved or breathed.
...I turned down their dope. And I turned down their stupid trends. And the hippies always hated me, because they were preaching peace and love and I was loading a .44 magnum.
Ted Nugent

What's a fart? A turd honking for right of way.
Who Do?
Tadpole

Post by Who Do? »

Thanks for the information and advice Doc, Ranger Doc Cook, and Narrow gauge. I'll keep an eye on it and see about getting to a doctor if it gets bad.
I think mainly because it wasn't a "core" muscle that I used everytime I moved or breathed.
I remember those "in between doses of demerol" piss breaks and that nurse yanking that drain tube out like it was yesterday :) .

How long after your tore that abdominal muscle did your doc tell you to start putting moist heat on it?
Ranger Bell wrote:You fellas are men, or soon to be. Act like it. Ya want something, get it. She's cute? Take her. hahahahahhaa
Narrow Gauge RR
Tadpole

Post by Narrow Gauge RR »

It's been 8 years ago(shit I'm getting old) but if i remember right I went to the doc after being in bed for around two days and he told me to put heat on it that day.
...I turned down their dope. And I turned down their stupid trends. And the hippies always hated me, because they were preaching peace and love and I was loading a .44 magnum.
Ted Nugent

What's a fart? A turd honking for right of way.

Return to “Medical Issues”