Mentor Program?

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
ConstantineCS
Future Soldier / Opt40

Mentor Program?

Post by ConstantineCS »

Rangers,

After several searches throughout the forum posts, I cannot piece together a clear cut answer on how to be a part of your mentorship program, or even much information regarding it. I have read posts from DEP's and Rangers alike and have searched even the home page of the site abd can still not get a clear picture on how it works. It should also be worth mentioning that the most helpful posts were close to 6 years old. I apologize if I am wrong for posting this question in this particular section of the forum, or even posting it at all. But, if that does not apply then I will tell you what I can gather from what I have read and understood and if I get something wrong or mistaken, can you all point me in the right direction?

1.) Learn about the mentorship program.
-It seems like the search option would be the most viable option for this step, as evidenced by the numerous posts made by virtually every Ranger on this website.
2.) Gain a "slot" for the Ranger to mentor you.
-Now, this is one of the more confusing areas I have come across. I have read posts where Eggs/DEPs/Newts say that you have to be in the DEP to gain a slot into it. Others say that you can simply be in High School or a graduate or something, while I have seen Rangers give "slots" away based on Response Time to the offer and needs of the person (i.e. enlistment dates and such). If a Ranger who has gone through the mentorship program offered here, or a mentor is here, can they clear this up if they have a moment, please?
3.) Be mentored
-Doing what you are told seems to be the biggest thing here on this step.

If I can be so bold, I have a small list of miscellaneous questions:
-Is there a difference between a Newt and an Egg as far as forum "ranking" goes? I have not found much info on this either. And from the one Ranger's post, who was selecting people for his slot, there was only a DEP slot and a Newt slot. so this is a matter of concern to me.

-How does the mentorship program work? Is it a Ranger mentoring you over the forum telling you what you need to do or do you have some higher level of contact? (phone conversations, meetings, etc.)

-How do you go about asking for a Ranger to mentor you? Do you just go to all of the Rangers and PM them a request? Because I realize some of the men on here are active duty and possibly deployed with no ready access to Internet or phones, or modern civilization in many cases. This leads me to believe they have bigger things to do than to E-Mail a DEP a new workout plan or something. So are there only specific people who can mentor you or is it by request only?

-Finally, is it an ABSOLUTE requirement to be in the DEP, because, being a 16 year old as of 1 month and 1 day ago, I will not be able to sign any contract any time soon.

Thank you Rangers for reading this post, and if you decided to read it through all the way and it was unnecessary in some way or in an inappropriate area, I apologize. If it was allowed, and you read it, thank you for your time. I only wish I could make it shorter. But I hope that if this stays, I can help stop potential future questions from arising.

Thank you again Rangers.
68W Opt. 40
Ship Date: 20130827

"Five Mentees Report Here" Thread Member
Edge
Ranger

Re: Mentor Program?

Post by Edge »

Once you gain an option 40, i.e. enter the DEP, you will be given the opportunity to PM one of the Rangers on the board and convince them they should take you on as a mentee. However, gaining an option 40 is harder to come by nowadays so signing a contract with the intention of trying to earn a shot at RASP during BASIC/OSUT/AIT can be seen as having enough merit to warrant a mentor depending on the person. As far as the ranking system goes I know for my username the more posts I have accumulated without looking like a total asshat have warranted me to progress from an egg to a tadpole, I do get ripped just like anyone else from time to time though. Either way, the only titles that matter are Ranger because this is their house and we are guests or anybody vetted as military, a Ranger/military parent or spouse etc. This is because they have already sacrificed more than any of us wannabes have as of yet but would like to match and that 99% of the American people want nothing to do with so just show them the proper respect and you'll be fine regardless of the "rank" under your username.

Rangers, sorry if I'm out of my lane but I figured some of us wannabes could do some housekeeping with small issues and let you all not have to say the same thing you have been for over a decade now.
"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be here,80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make. Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR,and he will bring the others back."-Heraclitus 500 BC

Mentee to Ranger Invictus
B Co 3/75
RANGER513
Ranger

Post by RANGER513 »

Edgerusher71 wrote:Once you gain an option 40, i.e. enter the DEP, you will be given the opportunity to PM one of the Rangers on the board and convince them they should take you on as a mentee. However, gaining an option 40 is harder to come by nowadays so signing a contract with the intention of trying to earn a shot at RASP during BASIC/OSUT/AIT can be seen as having enough merit to warrant a mentor depending on the person. As far as the ranking system goes I know for my username the more posts I have accumulated without looking like a total asshat have warranted me to progress from an egg to a tadpole, I do get ripped just like anyone else from time to time though. Either way, the only titles that matter are Ranger because this is their house and we are guests or anybody vetted as military, a Ranger/military parent or spouse etc. This is because they have already sacrificed more than any of us wannabes have as of yet but would like to match and that 99% of the American people want nothing to do with so just show them the proper respect and you'll be fine regardless of the "rank" under your username.

Rangers, sorry if I'm out of my lane but I figured some of us wannabes could do some housekeeping with small issues and let you all not have to say the same thing you have been for over a decade now.

Hmmmm, not bad Wildman. Not bad at all.

I believe your " stock " just went up a little bit around here......

now, go knock out 25 push-ups + 1 for the Big Ranger In The Sky and drive the fuck on.
C Co 2/75
1986 - 1992
RS Class 9-87

RLTW

" The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena............ "
Edge
Ranger

Post by Edge »

Roger RANGER513.
"Out of every 100 men, 10 should not be here,80 are nothing but targets, 9 are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they the battle make. Ah, but the ONE, ONE of them is a WARRIOR,and he will bring the others back."-Heraclitus 500 BC

Mentee to Ranger Invictus
B Co 3/75
hit_it
Paratrooper

Post by hit_it »

Damn, good job Edgepusher.

Good job indeed.
MSG Hit_it

@Bragg
ConstantineCS
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by ConstantineCS »

Thank you Edgerusher, specifically for your answer on going about getting a mentor. But, the only reason I brought up "rank" as far as what we are seen as on this forum, was because of this post:
Creeping Death wrote:Recently, a program was started by the BTDTs on this board to provide our services as a mentor to you DEPs and Newts out there who hope to get to where we have already been. But it seems to a lot of us that you fucks are not really interested in it.

You fuckers need to get your collective heads out of your asses, especially you DEPs. The Newts right now are showing more excitement about this opportunity that you fucks. What gives?

NONE of the BTDTs that you have met here had the tools available to help us through the pipeline that you people do - AND MOST OF YOU ARE NOT TAKING ADVANTAGE OF IT. We all had to go through completely blind to the ways of the Army, not to mention what lied around the next corner on our voyage to the Regiment. We had to either sink or swim - period.

The men on this board actually hope some of you do make it, but you not taking advantage of our genreosity is a very bad career move on your part. You all, just through the knowledge gleaned fromthis website, stand a much better chance at making it than ANY of us did - and you don't want to take advantage of it. You cocksuckers need to wake up and notice what is laying in front of you. I wish I had had this tool available to me when I first started. It would have saved me a lot of pain and anguish.

Having said that, I will give ONE Dep, and ONE Newt the services of my mentorship throughout your journey. If you are a whiny little pussy - don't volunteer. I am a busy man, don't waste my fucking time. But if you are serious about your goals, I will do what I can for you.

THIS IS A LIMITED TIME OFFER. THIS POST WILL GO IN AT 1725 EST BY MY WATCH. I WILL SIGN OFF NLT 1730 EST, AND RETURN TO CHECK THIS POST NLT 2100EST. IF NONE OF YOU FUCKERS HAVE ACCEPTED THIS OFFER, THEN I HOPE EVERY GODDAMN ONE OF YOU LAZY COCKSUCKERS DON'T EVEN MAKE IF OFF THE FUCKING BUS.
His post mentions that he takes Newts, while I am unfamiliar with what a "Newt" is, I am sure that it is not a DEP/Option 40 because he advertises that he has a slot open for them too. Is this a matter of preference or was something changed in the last 7 years that discontinued the practice of "newts" being mentored.

Please excuse me for reposting another question Rangers, but this was the one thing that I did not see answered.
68W Opt. 40

Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Some of the terminology has changed over the years, but for this discussion the only terms that matter are Ranger and DEP/opt 40. Our Mentor Program is reserved for those young men who have enlisted in the Army's Delayed Entry Program. We have neither the time nor the resources to mentor everyone who dreams of becoming a Ranger but has yet to make the commitment. Our Mentor Program is unique and Ranger Mentors are at a premium. That being said, it is possible (although not likely) that some Ranger would take an interest in you and give you some advise. DO NOT start firing off PMs to the Rangers on the board, asking questions or for advise.......one of us would then hunt you down and tie your fingers into a Bowline Knot!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
ConstantineCS
Future Soldier / Opt40

Post by ConstantineCS »

Roger that Ranger Slowpoke, and thank you for your answer.
68W Opt. 40

Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Everything needed is generally in this area: Recruiters and Schools - Q&A
Those not yet DEP/Future Soldier can go: About Army Physical Training where Ranger Silverback wrote many instructional posts to improve your p.t. for starts.
There were many Rangers that included different training methods all to give readers an edge they themselves never had.
Our advice to use SEARCH button is to give yourself the chance to use your own initiative for each step of the path you choose.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4

Return to “Recruitment Process”