Option 40 Or OCS

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
ksalik2
Embryo

Option 40 Or OCS

Post by ksalik2 »

Good day men, thank you for hosting such great site, i am honored to be in your presence today. I have a very important life decision to make, and while this decision is one only i can make i would like to use all available resources. I am 30 years old and want to join the military, i am a typical type A individual and i want to be part of an elite unit. My decision right now is between going to OCS, branching infantry( i have been informed that this is the MOS that gives me the best chance of getting picked up by the 75th), then applying to the 75th or SF after a few years, or going to a recruiter and obtaining an option 40 contract. Eventually i want to be a comissioned officer in the 75th or a SF unit, i would like my focus to be intel. From what i have read, if i go to OCS and branch intel, my opportunity to be picked up by the 75th would be slim to none. Is there anyway i could get a 35B option 40 contract, if i went this route, would i be able to go to OSC after three years and then come back to the 75th? Thanks for your time.

KCS
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Re: Option 40 Or OCS

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Big question is if there is an age limitation on OCS.

In my time it was 32. We had one 32 year old in my Infantry OCS class (At the time each branch had its own OCS). He had a hard time getting in because he was at age limit. He was Airborne Infantry for 14 years. Then again He had spent 6 years as Driver for the Commanders of the 101st for 6 of those years to include then MG William Westmoreland.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Disinfertention
Ranger/Admin

Post by Disinfertention »

Age limit for attending OCS was 42 when I left if I remember correctly... and I ain't that old yet.

As far as leaving Regiment enlisted and coming right back as an officer... It's been done before but it usually takes a bit longer than three years to get back right away.
USASOC 2015-2023
HHC 2/75 2012-2015
HHC & Cco 1/75 2010-2012
OCS Cadre 2007-2010
Cco 3/75 2003-2007
Ranger School 09-04
snafu
Ranger

Post by snafu »

There are limited slots for MI officers in Regiment. As mentioned above, it's not impossible to get back into the 75th as an officer if you were enlisted there first. Very few have come straight back as a 2LT but it has happened in the MI and Signal branches. More than likely, if you enlist first w/ opt40 (as I did) and then go to OCS, you'll go to another unit to do PL time, then you can put in a packet to get back to Regiment (it's what I'm in the process of doing now for Signal). Good luck.
RSD, HHC 75th RHQ Dec 04-Oct 07
RCC, RSTB 75th Rgr Rgt. Oct 07-Feb 09
1/3 SFG (A) SigDet, Dec 09-May 12
RS 02-06

team 3 best team.
Seabass1-4
Ranger

Post by Seabass1-4 »

Another thing to ask about will be branch detail. This allows you to serve the first few years as an infantry officer, then transition to another MOS. I've heard of it done with MI and Quartermaster officers. There's a lot to be said for learning what it's like to follow orders before you're the one giving them; the enlisted for a while prior to OCS option. Whatever plan you come up with, get to Ranger school as soon as possible. It is amazing how many people in the infantry world (officer and enlisted) do not have a Ranger Tab.
Bco 2/75 1997-2004
HHC & Aco 2/75 2007-2009
Class 9/98
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

Good day men, thank you for hosting such great site, i am honored to be in your presence today. I have a very important life decision to make, and while this decision is one only i can make i would like to use all available resources. I am 30 years old and want to join the military, i am a typical type A individual and i want to be part of an elite unit. My decision right now is between going to OCS, branching infantry( i have been informed that this is the MOS that gives me the best chance of getting picked up by the 75th), then applying to the 75th or SF after a few years, or going to a recruiter and obtaining an option 40 contract. Eventually i want to be a comissioned officer in the 75th or a SF unit, i would like my focus to be intel. From what i have read, if i go to OCS and branch intel, my opportunity to be picked up by the 75th would be slim to none. Is there anyway i could get a 35B option 40 contract, if i went this route, would i be able to go to OSC after three years and then come back to the 75th? Thanks for your time.

You have got to be honest with yourself before you can make a decision. If you want to "focus" on Intel as a specialty, than pursue it from the start imo.

I would recommend going to OCS and take your chances on branching Intel. If you are truly competent and motivated, you WILL stand out from the crowd, and you WILL have opportunities to pursue Intel slots in various special mission units. Barring that, you WILL be allowed to pursue an opportunity to go the SF route.

It is not the easiest thing in the world to transfer from enlisted to officer, though it can be done. At 30 years of age, you are behind the power curve, so pursue your end goal directly.
dbmtrman
Ranger

Post by dbmtrman »

Another thing you would have to consider, if you want to be in the 75th Ranger Regiment is, how long you want to be there. If you went in as an enlisted man, you could spend much of your career there, and stay nearly as long as you'd like. If you were a commissioned officer the chances of staying in Regiment for more then a couple years at a time, is probably limited. IMO
RLTW!
RS 4/85
B Co. 1/75 84-86, HAAF
HQ 11 SFG (USAR) 86-87

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it."- Field Marshal Erwin Rommel
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

Which is more important to you;

Becoming a Ranger or becoming an officer?

Pick the one you want and then pursue it. Pursue the other down the road. Understand that the latter goal may not be possible, so pick your primary wisely. Keep in mind - the intersection of those 2 goals happens seldom and very much reliant on luck, timing, and the will of others .
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

dbmtrman wrote:Another thing you would have to consider, if you want to be in the 75th Ranger Regiment is, how long you want to be there. If you went in as an enlisted man, you could spend much of your career there, and stay nearly as long as you'd like. If you were a commissioned officer the chances of staying in Regiment for more then a couple years at a time, is probably limited. IMO
This is a very good observation. I would tell you that if you serve some time as enlisted and then attend OCS, you will be treated as well as every one in your commissioned year-group. If you are a success as an enlisted soldier in the 75th Ranger Regiment, your chances of being assigned back there is better than if you are a brand-new LT, just out of OBC. In hindsight, I was a Staff Sergeant with several years of service and I competed very well with my year group. I had the good fortune to lead a rifle; anti-tank; and support platoon, commanded two companies and a battalion. There really is not a right or wrong answer here -- simply decide what route you want to follow to your objective. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
bradleybites1-5
Ranger

Post by bradleybites1-5 »

You need to make the decision of what you really want to do in the Army as opposed to where you'd like to serve. Branching Infantry just because it increases your odds of making it to Regiment is a mistake. Life in the Infantry is physically demanding, and it is a branch you do not enter into lightly. You mention that you want your focus to be Intel, and TABBED Intel Officers serve in the 75th. If you want to achieve your endstate, go to OCS, seek a branch detail (Military Intelligence to Infantry) where you'll serve your first four years as an Infantry Officer and have an opportunity to go to ABN and RS. Do some time as an Infantry Officer, apply for service with the 75th as a 1LT, go to your career course as a CPT, go to your first Intel assignment, and apply for service with the 75th as an MI Officer...you know, assuming you get your Tab, and always, always, always do your best, regardless of your assignment.
RLTW
A Co. 3-8 CAV/ PB Paliwoda, IZ
06-07
"In the JP at the Muj-apolooza"

Class 06-06

"...And suffer if need be."

"Yes it's true. You are a good woman...then again, you may be the antichrist."
ksalik2
Embryo

Post by ksalik2 »

Great response so far, thank you so much for taking your time to answer my questions. I would love a IN branch detail, if i go to OSC this would be the optimal outcome. I very much want to begin my career in the Infantry, i want to serve in the hardest branch possible, i want to have a hard life so that i may become a stronger Leader and a better man. This being said, Intel is still where i would like to end up. I talked some recruiters today, they told me that no one is getting option 40 for awhile, and that they have been told by USREC to stop offering them period because option 40 is closed for the fiscal year. Thanks again Rangers, you truly do "Lead the way" , someday i WILL lead with you.
nlh8456
Egg

Post by nlh8456 »

Ranger bradleybites1-5,

That was an excellent explanation, and helped answer a similar question that I had as well... My ultimate goal is to go into OCS and graduate as an MI with an Infantry branch detail to hopefully get a chance to get into ABN & RS. Being able to serve alongside the elite ranger infantry as a Ranger MI officer would be an incredible opportunity.

My mind is made up, now it's just a matter of getting there... I will never give up on my dream!
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

something for y'all to research then, is whether OCS does branch detail assignments. I don't know and don't care, because it doesn't apply to me.

another thing to remember is that you aren't guarantied branch of choice with OCS, ROTC either for that matter, but... you may not get what you want, so be prepared to alter your plans.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long

Return to “Recruitment Process”