Help with APFT Scores

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Re: Help with APFT Scores

Post by LostintheSauce »

rgrwest wrote:
Echo Two One wrote:The hour and a half are the PT sessions run by the ROTC department. They fill up the hour and a half with short exercises. We will run for a little while, then do some push ups and sit ups and then we will do dips. It sounds good, but the limited time frame makes it almost not worth it.

I currently run inside because of the icy conditions outside. If the weather stays like it has for a couple more days, I will be back to running outside soon.

I have plateaued from ROTC PT. From this point on, only doing that cannot possibly help my scores. I am just looking for advice on the best way to improve my scores outside PT.

OK, here is the no shit deal. If you are not doing push-ups and sit-ups at every possible opportunity, you're wrong. when you can, jog or run to each location you are heading to (i.e. classes, across campus, etc). When you have the opportunity to actually perform physical exercise, and you are trying to build speed, do interval training (i.e. run fast between light poles, then jog for the next two, and repeat as many times as you can).

All of this is spelled out pretty much of any and all things you could and should be doing instead of typing on here.

Good Luck
Ranger rgrwest,

Thanks for giving it to me straight. I will try to get on here and post my next PT test score and use that as a starting point, and so that myself and others can use it to compare to my future tests scores that I post.
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Post by LostintheSauce »

Here are my PT Scores from earlier.

Push Ups: 53
Sit Ups: 73
2 Mile: 1509

Definitely nothing to hang your hat on but it will be a good starting point. I am going to run today and do the Push Up workout I found on this site.
rgrwest
Ranger

Post by rgrwest »

Echo Two One wrote:Here are my PT Scores from earlier.

Definitely nothing to hang your hat on but it will be a good starting point. I am going to run today and do the Push Up workout I found on this site.

Don't misconstrue my words here. I am not telling you not to do PT. However, you must find recovery time for your muscles. Not saying that conducting a PT test is hard, but if you go and run today, as well as do a push-up workout, you are not allowing time for Recovery. Your muscle groups require this time to reset. That is why you should always alternate your workouts between muscle groups daily.

If you are not feeling tight or smoked, then by all means conduct some PT, but if you do, then take a break from that excercise and move onto something else. You need to do some pullups also, and logged those on here. Should be from a dead hang, plams facing towards you, about shoulder width apart. Pull upward until your chin is over the bar, and then release to the start position. You must go all the way down or they will not be counted. Give us that assessment, so we can help you further.

Last thing, abdominal muscles are one of (if not) the largest muscle in the body. you can work the shit out of it daily. Just vary up the type of exercises you perform, between sit-up and crunches to leg lifts....etc

You get the idea.
Rgrwest
RC 13-87
C Co, 1-504 PIR, 84-89
B Co, 5th RTB, 89-92
A, 1-501 (ABN), 93-95
C, 2-11 INF (IOBC), 95-98
HHC, 1-509 PIR, 98-02
USASMA, 02- Instructor
OIF I - Feb 03-Jul 03 (Attached OPS SGM)
USASMA, 04 - Student
HHC, 1-30 INF, 3-3 ID, 04-06 (OPS SGM)
OPSGRP, JRTC, 06-07 (TF SGM)
G3, SETAF (Vicenza, Italy) 07-09 (G3 SGM)
LostintheSauce
Tadpole

Post by LostintheSauce »

rgrwest wrote:
Echo Two One wrote:Here are my PT Scores from earlier.

Don't misconstrue my words here. I am not telling you not to do PT. However, you must find recovery time for your muscles. Not saying that conducting a PT test is hard, but if you go and run today, as well as do a push-up workout, you are not allowing time for Recovery. Your muscle groups require this time to reset. That is why you should always alternate your workouts between muscle groups daily.

If you are not feeling tight or smoked, then by all means conduct some PT, but if you do, then take a break from that excercise and move onto something else. You need to do some pullups also, and logged those on here. Should be from a dead hang, plams facing towards you, about shoulder width apart. Pull upward until your chin is over the bar, and then release to the start position. You must go all the way down or they will not be counted. Give us that assessment, so we can help you further.

Last thing, abdominal muscles are one of (if not) the largest muscle in the body. you can work the shit out of it daily. Just vary up the type of exercises you perform, between sit-up and crunches to leg lifts....etc

You get the idea.
Ranger rgrwest,

I am trying to give myself good recovery periods. Do I need to do that for running as well? I have been trying to run at least a few miles every day, with longer runs on certain days.

Pull ups is definitely something I need work on. I will test myself next time I am at the gym. To improve, I have just been doing as many as I can for 2-3 sets. Do you recommend I stay with this method or do something else?

My abs are certainly something that I work a lot. I do flutter kicks, leg lifts, sit-ups, crunches and planks. After my recent PT test, I have been trying to do more sit ups, both unassisted and elevated ones. I really want get the five or six more that I need to max that test.
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

RangerX wrote:You suck at PT = Do more PT
Or fewer tequila shots....

I mean, where the Hell is Obi Wan when you are looking for magical PT advice?

Someone suggested in another thread to load up a ruck with 40lbs. and do push ups in the morning, middle of the night, after caviar etc. Magically, even a old zoomie improved his push-up count. Imagine that?
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

On the official 75th Ranger Regiment web page there is a P.T. plan for those planning on attending RIP. The people who wrote it probably know what they are doing and it couldn't hurt to follow it. I would provide a link , but I am to involved with drinking beer and watching tv plus I come from an age group that isn't very savvy with the internet.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Flesh Thorn wrote:On the official 75th Ranger Regiment web page there is a P.T. plan for those planning on attending RIP. The people who wrote it probably know what they are doing and it couldn't hurt to follow it. I would provide a link , but I am to involved with drinking beer and watching tv plus I come from an age group that isn't very savvy with the internet.
Probably the understatement of the century. :shock:
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver

Return to “About Army Physical Training”