Introduction

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

kostya_76
Egg

Introduction

Post by kostya_76 »

Rangers,

My name is Kyle and I have been lurking/reading the forums for the past few months. They have been a wealth of information and for that, along with your service, I thank you.
I am a senior in college who will be joining the Army upon graduation. I am very seriously considering enlistment as an 11x Option 40.
My APFT:
Push-ups: 44
Sit-ups: 45
Pull-ups: 9
2 mile: 16:30

I understand this is currently unacceptable. I am a 6'6", 295lb Offensive Tackle, and will be throwing myself into crossfit/military athlete/Long Distance Running at the end of our season, a few weeks from now. I understand I have an extremely long way to go, but would not plan on enlisting until at least the end of August 2011/beyond, depending on when an Option 40 contract is available. As a reference, my HS grad APFT was 98 push-ups, 105 sit-ups, 20 pull-ups, and a 13:43 2-mile.

Rangers, thank you for your time.

Kyle
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Re: Introduction

Post by RangerJurena »

I will say what I have told the others, start inquiring about that Option 40 now as the process can be lengthy. Also know that if you graduate college they will probably press you about OCS. There are many threads here about this and the pros and cons to each.

With regards to fitness, people who could do less in every event and not even run 2 miles have made the journey, if you want it, you will get there.
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. Your interest in serving as an Army Ranger is appreciated. When you say you want to enlist in August, I assume that is the timeframe you want to ship. If that is so, you should start talking with a recruiter soon so you can enlist in the Delayed Entry Program and get the contract and ship date you want. Be sure to read and heed the ROE PM I have sent you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
kostya_76
Egg

Post by kostya_76 »

RangerJurena,
I began speaking with a recruiter in August. We started my application and I took my ASVAB. Over the thanksgiving break I have scheduled to meet with him to complete the application packet so that everything is in the system, as well as set up a day to complete the physical, so that the only thing left to do will be to go to MEPS and enlist.

I have begun the process of applying to OCS as well. Both recruiters are aware of my enlisted/commissioning packet. To Ranger Bill, you are correct, mid August would be the ideal date to ship, and I am currently working to complete my apps so that I may ship as close to that date as possible. RangerJurena, I am currently working through the decision to enlist or to commission, and the many threads on this site concerning that decision have been extremely helpful. To that end, it seems to secure a slot at the end of August for either OCS or Option 40, as both are in high demand particularly in summer, I will need to decide relatively soon. Please correct me if I am wrong.
HakweeRgr
Ranger

Post by HakweeRgr »

Thank you for your interest in the Rangers, once you have made up your mind on which path you want to take, stand by your decision. Do not let recruiters make that choice for you. Best of luck to you in all your future endeavors. Never Quit!!!
B Co., 3/75th, '91-'96 "THE" Token
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 93

Mentor to dbh (1/75), FreshMeat(1/75),Mata Leao(2/75)
Zach2011(1/75), Runna22(2/75), Papa84(3/75)

Return to “Introduction Archive”