Introduction - Terrence

This Archive will be used for Future Soldiers and Civilian Introductions 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Terrence_87
Future Soldier

Introduction - Terrence

Post by Terrence_87 »

Hello Rangers,

My name is Terrence, age 23 (as of the 11/11), originally from Cleveland, OH. Right now, I reside in Chicago, IL.

Physical Stats:
I'm a smaller feller at 5'6", 148lbs.

APFT:
Push-ups = 78
Sit-ups = 96
2-mile = 13:27 (as of 10/18/2010)
(Pull-ups: 13)

College Varsity Track and Field Captain (sprinter/jumper) 2006-2010

Criminal Record: None; no parking violations.

Credit: Ok, but could be better.

Background:
In 2005, before my senior year of high school, I entered the DEP as 96B (Intelligence Analyst). I was BC in my high school's JROTC program, so my Army Instructor and Senior Army Instructor, whom I admired, showed me that it was a positive lifestyle worth living. I was 17 and gung-ho.

Throughout the entire enlistment process, however, I told my recruiter that I planned to exit the DEP if I were accepted into a top 10 school. (This was the result of an agreement with my then-anti-army, anti-war mother.) That said, I was admitted into the University of Chicago (2006). I became DEP-loss. Of course, I apologized to my recruiter for his time, when he handed my discharge orders to me.

I just graduated from the University of Chicago 06/2010 in English Literature, and I've been doing audio/visual work for a major convention center near downtown Chicago for about 2 months. This job isn't my cup of coffee. I crave something new, challenging and rewarding.

Now, I am back to square one, enlisting into the Army. Right now, I'm waiting for my medical papers for broken arms from childhood, so that I can schedule my MEPS visit. I expect to attend MEPS between 11/22 and 12/03.

Goals:
I want to be a member of the Ranger Special Troops Battalion. As I've read, the only way for me to guarantee myself a shot at the 75 Ranger Regiment (especially in a non-combat position) is to get Option 40. I prefer guarantees. Despite my hate for this slow-moving job, I will wait patiently until Option 40 is available to me.

My desired MOSs are as follows, in order of precedence: 35F, 35N, 35M. I'm open to other MOSs, but they'd need to come with some decent incentives.

A 3-5 year Active Duty commitment is an attractive contract length, along with Student Loan Repayment Program and PaYS. Id enter as an E-4. (I neglected to apply for OCS because I want to learn and live my trade a bit before I attempt to lead anyone. That's the type of guy I am. I listen, learn, practice, and repeat. Then I'll take the lead with confidence.)

I want to thank the creators of this site/forum for offering me this space to research and learn. And, of course, thank you Rangers, for your service. And thank you for the breadth of experience and knowledge you're offering young guys like myself.

It is greatly appreciated.

Last, if I have missed any pivotal or trivial information that you'd like to know, I'd be glad to answer.

-Terrence
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Re: Introduction - Terrence

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Welcome, thank you for your desire to serve.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Well, Terrence, a man has only one opportunity to make a favorable initial impression. So far, you seem to be doing well enough. You may be surprized to find that there are a number of enlisted Rangers with an undergraduate degree. Starting off as a trooper is, I think, the best way to go -- well, it worked for me. You have an idea of what you want to do. Go earn it. Never, never quit!
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Terrence_87
Future Soldier

Post by Terrence_87 »

Thank you for the welcomes, Ranger al_2ndWolfhounds and Ranger Jim.

Ranger Jim,

Thanks for the encouragement. I don't have a 'quit' bone in my body. I'm from some dirty projects and, somehow, I've navigated my way to and through academia with distinction. I earned it. Quitting is never a viable option or outcome.

That is the main reason I want to be a Ranger; I want to be in a brotherhood that has purpose, drive, and fight. The regiment is filled with matured persons and personalities from whom I plan to gain a bunch for the next few years (and possibly a career).

I'm still a civilian and I have accomplished nothing in a Ranger's eyes. That's fine. It won't take me long to become a standout, while remaining humbled. I intend to be the calm, squared away candidate who gets the task completed. No lip, no attitude, and definitely no quitting. I believe I belong in a Regiment like yours, but I must prove it first. That's fine. I will.

Bring the pain, plain and simple.

-Terrence

(Sorry for rambling. I'm excited...heart is racing and everything.)
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

Welcome Terrence.

I see you've met a few Rangers & others will be along.

The name you selected: rstb_hopeful is a name you can not keep.
rstb must be 1st earned before it can be used, same as Ranger_hopeful, we do not allow that one either, nor many others of that ilk.

Send me a PM with a list of 4 preferential names that may be for you to use & I'll see what is available.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Terrence_87
Future Soldier

Post by Terrence_87 »

My absolute apologies for that, Ranger Steadfast and ever other Ranger who has earned his title.
Steadfast
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Steadfast »

rstb_hopeful wrote:My absolute apologies for that, Ranger Steadfast and ever other Ranger who has earned his title.
No apologies necessary young man. PM me and Carry on.
RLTW
Steadfast

4/325 82d DIV 68-69
2nd Bde HHC (LRRP), 4 ID
K Co (Rgr), 75th Inf (Abn), 4 ID
69-70
I cooked with C- 4
Ranger Bill
Ranger

Post by Ranger Bill »

Welcome. Your interest in Army Rangers is appreciated. Keep us posted on progress with your recruiter and be sure to read and heed the ROE PM I have sent you.
WE NEED MORE RANGERS!

http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mentor to Pellet2007, ChaoticGood & RFS1307

Ranger School Class 3-69

7th Special Forces Group
K Company (Ranger) 75th Infantry (Airborne)
4th Infantry Division
82d Airborne Division
12th Special Forces Group
Terrence_87
Future Soldier

Post by Terrence_87 »

Hello Rangers,

Update:

My medical papers arrived Monday. Once I return from Las Vegas, I will be all prepared to attend MEPS. I'm trying my hardest to take this process one step at a time.

I administered another PT test this past Saturday, 11/13/2010:
(I'm not improving much, so it is a tad frustrating. I'm keeping level-headed though.)

APFT:
2-mile run: 13:25
Push-ups: 73
Sit-ups: 101

Misc:
40 meter dash in spikes (FAT): 4.43
100 meter dash: 11.18
400 meter dash: 54.03
Long Jump (4 attempts): 22' 4"
High Jump: 6' 0"
One-Step Vertical Test: 37"
Terrence_87
Future Soldier

Post by Terrence_87 »

Good morning, Rangers.

My official date to attend MEPS is 11/30. :D

I have to retake the ASVAB. Before, my recruiter had incorrect information. He believed that my prior enlistment into the DEP qualified my 5 year old scores to be grandfathered in. That information was entirely untrue. (In his defense, his knowledge may have been simply out-dated. Meh.) I've got four days and nights to study and relearn some concepts that I haven't seen since high school (i.e all things math).

In other news, I've been researching the promotional score cutoff lists. (I know, this 'concern' can be considered premature, but I cannot help it. I really need to know where I'm throwing myself when I sign.) I've noticed that 35F is consistently a "star" MOS, signifying a personnel shortage, which means for low promotional scores to earn e-5 and e-6. This is a major plus for me, as my first promotion should be to the grade of e-5.

It is my guess that this will play into my favor at MEPS on Tuesday, as it may allude to your regiment's potential need for 35Fs. To be quite honest, however, I'm not entirely sure if this promotional list --from Armytimes-- has an immediate and direct affect on the recruiting command's calibrations for bonuses or availabilities/options offered. In theory, you'd think it would, but who knows? Similarly, I've pretty much knocked 35M off of my list due to the slower expected promotion rate/high cutoff scores. (It doesn't hurt that it was my least favorite MI MOS to make my list.) I'm solely gunning for 35F during this trip to MEPS. If nothing shows up for 35F + Option 40 for ~40-60 days, then I'll sign with a different MOS like: 35N, 25C, or something with a nice bonus or 'package.'

As always, I will keep you Rangers updated on my progress.

-Terrence
Terrence_87
Future Soldier

Post by Terrence_87 »

Hello Rangers,

Right now I am sitting in the MEPS office and the liaisons are telling me that us impossible for a 35F to enlist with opt. 40. Can someone offer some guidance? Is this bullshit or truth? I've been sitting here for 4 hours waiting for other paperwork to be settled (missing transcripts).

Thanks, Rangers
Terrence_87
Future Soldier

Post by Terrence_87 »

Hello Rangers,

Here is a general update on my situation.

I still have not obtained an Option 40, nor an MOS/contract. The problem seems to be that it is "impossible" to combine 35F and Option 40, according to the guidance counselors at MEPS. Therefore, I have not signed. The counselors have indicated that they would try to pull strings to make this combination possible for me. However, they do not seem to have much confidence or promise in their approach or the outcome. I'm being patient.

Ranger GoldCoast has handed me some potentially valuable information/a contact for me to pass on to my recruiter, for which I'm grateful. My recruiter will have that in his hands soon.

Other than this hurdle, my MEPS visit went smoothly, I'd say. I took the ASVAB in the morning and scored a 93. My line scores were all between 123-130, except for my Mechanical Maintenance (MM): 118, General Technical (GT): 136, and Clerical (CL): 133.

I received 111111 on the PULHES.

I will keep this updated.

Best,

-Terrence
Terrence_87
Future Soldier

Post by Terrence_87 »

Update:

Rangers,

My new MEPS date is 20101209. I've told my recruiter to reserve me an 18x slot, but I don't think that I will stand beside that choice. 35F is the job that I want. I'm going to trust the Senior Intelligence NCO of the Ranger Regiment and attempt to get an airborne slot. While I'm at AIT and/or Airborne, I'll be hunting down the Regiment's recruiters and go from there.

Worse case scenario, I'll end up serving coffee for 4 years.

Thanks for the help, Rangers.

-Terrence

(After I get 35F w/o option 40, can I still get a Ranger mentor, considering my plan?)
GoldCoast
Ranger/Matchmaker

Post by GoldCoast »

The short answer is 'Yes, connecting with a Ranger Mentor will not be a problem.'

Long answer - You talk a lot. 35M may be a better fit for you. 35M's in Regiment have an amazing job.

Just remember that regardless of what career path you pursue, the Army is not populated by civilians. No one, whether they are an SF Instructor, RASP Cadre, Ranger Instructor, or even your NCO should you make it to Ranger Regiment, is going to want to hear you talk this much. The more you talk the more you expose yourself to criticism. Essentially you wind up making a target out of yourself. I recommend you cut down your chatter.

And no one said Ranger Privates don't make coffee. Ranger Privates are a crafty bunch who know the value of rapport, even when it seems hopeless.
HHC 2/75 (1998- 2000)

Duty a mountain; Death a feather.

One of these days I'll start off slow...
RangerJurena
Ranger/Moderator

Post by RangerJurena »

Whatever it is, I'm hoping there are no bonus packages available, since you've babbled about that priority twice. While there is certainly nothing wrong with taking something the Army is offering a bit of situational awarness is at times needed.

Use your degree to figure the rest out.

Good luck.
C.Co 1/75 '87-'93
6-89
http://www.75thrra.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - are you a member?

Return to “Introduction Archive”