General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Re: Surviving the Cut

Post by C-MAC »

Buddha wrote:
C-MAC wrote:
I have two friends from different units. One is a West Point grad and ended up with the Flying Chickens in Iraq. The other was with the 25th in Iraq. Both referred to the bad guys as "tango's" usually with an adjective before it. They also called them a bunch of other things- but I am trying to stay "G" rated. :)

Plus, all this ground lingo is new to me. In the USAF we simply called them "targets". :roll:
"Flying Chickens?" Fuck off.

Apologies, it was meant as a friendly jab. Apparently it was a unexpected roundhouse from the wrong branch.

My friend that was in the unit used to jokingly use that phrase (long-story)- it rubbed off.

By the way, don't ever fucking call me a "zoomie" again. :D

Oh, and a quick tome so you know this was not an intentional insult. The family story goes- 101st needed EOD to clear an area in 1945. Short version, EOD went in and never came out. That was my relative, who is still there. I have nothing but respect for that unit.
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

CloakAndDagger wrote:
C-MAC wrote:One is a West Point grad and ended up with the Flying Chickens in Iraq.
Word to the wise, C-MAC, only members/veterans of the "actively airborne" Army units (82d Airborne Div, 173d Airborne Bde, SF Groups, Rangers, etc.) get to call them that. (I sure as hell wouldn't, being a "leg" myself.) All others may be subject to long sets of pushups or beatings.
Your right and so is he.

Doing the push up's now
If you want to be successful at anything, you'll need to develop a never quit attitude. Don't let life happen to you. Grab it by the throat and make life dance to your tune.
Ranger KW Driver
CloakAndDagger
US Army Veteran

Post by CloakAndDagger »

C-MAC wrote:
Buddha wrote:
C-MAC wrote:
I have two friends from different units. One is a West Point grad and ended up with the Flying Chickens in Iraq. The other was with the 25th in Iraq. Both referred to the bad guys as "tango's" usually with an adjective before it. They also called them a bunch of other things- but I am trying to stay "G" rated. :)

Plus, all this ground lingo is new to me. In the USAF we simply called them "targets". :roll:

Apologies, it was meant as a friendly jab. Apparently it was a unexpected roundhouse from the wrong branch.

My friend that was in the unit used to jokingly use that phrase (long-story)- it rubbed off.

By the way, don't ever fucking call me a "zoomie" again. :D

Oh, and a quick tome so you know this was not an intentional insult. The family story goes- 101st needed EOD to clear an area in 1945. Short version, EOD went in and never came out. That was my relative, who is still there. I have nothing but respect for that unit.
You may have misread my intentions, C-MAC. I was just trying to toss you a rope in the hole you were digging for yourself. I have no problems if you want to give us some friendly interservice jabs about the dumb ways the Army does things, or want to rub-in why "USAF is better than Army", or anything along those lines, but... the "Flying Chickens" is just one of those monikers that could start a fight in the wrong bar if you are not part of the in-crowd. You probably wouldn't want "some groundpounder" picking on any particular USAF squadron, would you? Same deal here.
75rangermom
Ranger Mom

Post by 75rangermom »

fatboy wrote:
75rangermom wrote:my son said they were there filming when he went through Benning the first time. Let's see that was sooooo long ago - I think he started in March. Ha ha - he's still at it in second phase now. Fool just refuses to quit! I am so proud but will his digestive system and sleep pattern ever be normal again? How long can someone go on limited amounts of food and rest? I think he's determined to find out. Is there an ultimate limit on recycles? I mean geez we still have the lovely swamps to go and I don't know how long he intends to hang out there!!

I would say your boy is fully prepared to get his Tab or come back on it, and if there is still a recycle limit, he hasn't hit it yet. And sleep and eating will go back to normal eventually- he'll just eat anything he can that isn't nailed down and sleep anywhere at anytime until he's recovered.
SITREP - Graduated class 09-10! Finally and whew. He looks great! Me - not so much. RLTW!
I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me.
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

Buddha wrote:
C-MAC wrote:

Let me make this patently clear. unqualified and unadulterated since I am a tolerated guest here.

My apologies to anyone offended by my remark.
Ranger KW Driver
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

During Viet-Nam, we referred to the 101st using a Vietnamese term that translated as something like "Stupid chicken that died because he ate a rubber band." While crude, I thought the term added some color to an otherwise dull existance.

Yes, I did serve in the 82d.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

You may have misread my intentions, C-MAC. I was just trying to toss you a rope in the hole you were digging for yourself. I have no problems if you want to give us some friendly interservice jabs about the dumb ways the Army does things, or want to rub-in why "USAF is better than Army", or anything along those lines, but... the "Flying Chickens" is just one of those monikers that could start a fight in the wrong bar if you are not part of the in-crowd. You probably wouldn't want "some groundpounder" picking on any particular USAF squadron, would you? Same deal here.
You are positively, unequivocally, correct and I was way out of line here.
Ranger KW Driver
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

C-MAC wrote:
Buddha wrote:
C-MAC wrote: By the way, don't ever fucking call me a "zoomie" again. :D
As you wish, Wingwiper.

:P :twisted:
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
C-MAC
USAF Veteran

Post by C-MAC »

As you wish, Wingwiper.
That's cowling cleaner to you, sir. :lol:
Ranger KW Driver
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

aye-aye.
8)
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
merlyn
Tadpole

Post by merlyn »

K.Ingraham wrote:aye-aye.
8)
Is that how an Airman says "Yes,Sir" if he's in a pontoon plane?
507th Air Ambulance
21st Field Evac Hospital
41st MASH
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Brook Army Medical Center

I have slipped the surely bonds of Earth; put out my hand and touched the face of God.

To give less than your best is to sacrafice the gift.
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

Jim wrote:During Viet-Nam, we referred to the 101st using a Vietnamese term that translated as something like "Stupid chicken that died because he ate a rubber band." While crude, I thought the term added some color to an otherwise dull existance.

Yes, I did serve in the 82d.
My son is a member of the puking buzzards/choking chickens and I give him no end of shit for it. I even bitched him out one time when he told me about wearing jump boots in his dress greens. WTF? :shock:

Fucking legs. :lol:
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
PocketKings
Ranger

Post by PocketKings »

As a former member of both Alcholics Anonymous, aka. the Jumping Junkies and the Puking Buzzards, aka. Screaming Chickens I take no offense to anyone calling us names. It's no worse than the other disparaging unit names like the Angry Vaginas (25th ID), Broken TV sets (3rd ID), Lost Lieutenants (4th ID) or the worst one of all, Marines. :D
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

If I have offended anyone with my remarks or past comments,

Go fuck yourself.

That is all.

On a sidenote, I don't ever watch surviving the cut because the one time I did, all they did was focus on the whining douche bag who didn't make it, or barely squeeked by. Every class we have been in have had those lesser mortals. They were the ones who went home early.

Coffee and donuts in the White House. Anyone want some?
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85

Return to “The Mosh Pit”