Army uses Google Maps to detail MOH awardee's last hours

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

Kraddy
Tadpole

Army uses Google Maps to detail MOH awardee's last hours

Post by Kraddy »

As most probably know, yesterday Obama awarded Staff Sgt. Robert Miller the Medal of Honor for his heroic acts in Gowardesh, Afghanistan.
The Army created a play-by-play video series of SSG Miller's last hours using Google maps.

http://www.army.mil/medalofhonor/miller ... scape.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On one hand, it seems a bit inappropriate to reduce a soldier's sacrifices on the battlefield to a few arrows on a map, but it certainly does him more justice than a simple news article. This series of videos definitely tells the story in a new and immersive fashion that could only really be topped by actual video footage in terms of accurate portrayal. Imagine if all who had been awarded the Medal of Honor were able to have their stories told in such detail.

Anyway, I figured I'd share this as I found it to be very inspiring. It is an honor to be able to serve in memory of SSG Miller and all soldiers like him who gave it their all and sacrificed for their comrades and country.
Ship date: 20110124
PocketKings
Ranger

Re: Army uses Google Maps to detail MOH awardee's last hours

Post by PocketKings »

Wow. Thanks for sharing. I agree that it can seem a little unworthy to reduce an action to a few pictures and images, but that does more justice than an award citation.

This stuff should be the lead on every news source our there.
RS 01-00
82d (1-325 AIR) 99-00
101st (2-502d IN) 00-03
Earthpig
Ranger

Post by Earthpig »

After seeing the MOH Room in the new Infantry Museum (Ft. Benning), I would imagine that this might become the standard. The MOH Room had a bank of computers, where you could research MOH recipients, read their citations, bio, etc. Having a video to accompany that would really enhance their set up.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
KW Driver
Ranger/Moderator

Post by KW Driver »

that was the best and most detailed award description I've seen. reading a citation or a narrative for a citation doesn't come close to what was represented here.

that was a good leverage of technology.

and it should absolutely have been put up in the news.
A Co & HHC 3/75 '93-'98.
RS 10-94.

200 meters of green shit next to a river in the desert does not qualify as a "Crescent of Fertility" -me

"The meek shall inherit the earth, one meter wide and two meters long" -Lazarus Long
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

Having a visual to enhanse the dry Citation wording really made SSG Millers actions more easily understood. I thought it was very cool.
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

It was a good display, and though I agree it is kind of weird to reduce someones supreme heroism to colored images and animations...it is nice that his heroism is explained in a way that most should be able to understand. God bless that Warrior and his loved ones.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
rgrokelley
Triple Canopy

Post by rgrokelley »

Excellent.
I plan on showing this as my "ice breaker" in class today. Just yesterday I had a kid ask what was the highest award you could get in the Army, and I told the class of the Medal of Honor. Only a few had ever heard of the medal and they thought it was just the name of a video game.

So this will illustrate what it takes a lot better than just reading a citation.
A & C Company, 3rd Ranger Battalion 1984-1986
2/325, 82nd Airborne 1979-1984
F Company, 51st LRSU 1986-1988
5th Special Forces Group 1989-1995
3rd Special Forces Group 1997-1999
RS - DHG 5-85

Return to “The Mosh Pit”