Bouncing Tips?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Re: Bouncing Tips?

Post by NeverSayDie »

Ranger Slowpoke & RangerX,

I wasn't planning to use the thing unless outnumbered. 1 on 1 I've found that I'm capable of restraining people of all sizes if it comes down to it. However no one can escape every tussle unscathed and in that bar I know I'm bound to get a few "whoopins" so the whole Idea behind the bat is a literall interpretation of Rosevelts "speak softly and carry a big stick" policy to reduce the number of whoopins and therefore risk of incarcerations and hospitalizations and all the other nasty "ations". Or as Ranger mortar_guy78 put it in a different thread:
mortar_guy78 wrote: It's called "deterrence". You know not to fuck with a lion when it roars at you. You know not to fuck with the crazy old guy when he gets on the bus with a flamethrower. Where's the problem?
Mentee to Ranger K.Ingraham

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"
Slowpoke
Ranger/Moderator

Post by Slowpoke »

RangerX wrote:Seriously. Physicality should be your last resort.
Usually, simply explaning trespassing laws and the availability of the local Police is enough to get unruley people to leave. If it's a bad enough bar, you threatening physicality will ensure it!!!!! Garaunteed, your patron/adversarey will see it as a challenge, and a fun challenge at that!!!

In the begining, take it easy....learn the ropes (hopefully from someone experienced)....do not pressure people into fighting with you (leave them a face-saving way out)....it's normally not too hard to outsmart a drunk (but it is EASY to piss them off)!
I never wore a cape, but I still have my dog tags.

Experienced Peek Freak!!

173rd Abn LRRP...'66/'67
C/1/506 101st Abn
B/2/325 82nd Abn
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Listen to Slowpoke. He's gnarly but the sunnvagun is a wise ol' warrior who knows whereof he speaks.

As you've been learning across town lately, your mouth is your most effective weapon - or worse enemy. Rangering requires discipline. You've been learning it the hard way of late. How's that hand doing?

Yer bud,
Wade Garrett :twisted:
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

K.Ingraham wrote:Listen to Slowpoke. He's gnarly but the sunnvagun is a wise ol' warrior who knows whereof he speaks.

As you've been learning across town lately, your mouth is your most effective weapon - or worse enemy. Rangering requires discipline. You've been learning it the hard way of late. How's that hand doing?

Yer bud,
Wade Garrett :twisted:
Ranger Wade Garrett,

The swelling has completely dissapated and the middle knuckle has almost completely healed. the scab covering my pinky knuckle ripped off at work though. (thats the last time I move concrete slabs with a temp that doesnt have two brain cells to rub together )

(and I was under the impression gnarly ol'sunnvagun wisdom was painfully injected into the soul of every Ranger by the spec4 mafia after graduation?)

NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

Old Grunt wrote:I've never done any bouncing, as I'm small framed, and while I've known a few pretty good short statured bouncers in my time, they tend to act as psycho magnets and get into more fights than the larger, more intimidating guys ( like RangerX).
But as a long time patron of every snake pit dive from the Purple Onion in Atlanta to the Red Garter in Denver, I do have some experience in these matters, albeit mostly of the observational variety.
You mentioned that you're not old enough to carry a gun, so let me ask you: Is the bar you're working in the type that advertises live entertainment of the jiggly, bouncy type? Do they use ashtrays and glasses made from plastic and serve beer in a can? If this is the case,be advised, those are not cost cutting measures, they're to deprive the patrons of any impromptu social arbiters.
If so, just find another job until you've gained some experience. Places like that are geared for antisocial types who have nothing better to do with their time than test the patience of bartenders, dancers, and bouncers. Sneaky, underhanded types like, well... like me ( at least before I got too old and infirm to throw a decent sucker punch, or make a mad dash for the door), who can smell an inexperienced bouncer (or a drunken dancer) from across the room, and view them ( as my Cajun friends would say) as lagniappe.
But if you must take the job, listen to RangerX and Ranger Slowpoke, they're both giving you GOOD advice.
And buy ( and practice with) an ASP. It's a lot more concealable that a baseball bat, and very effective when you've mastered its use.
Old Grunt,

I'm about 5'10" and 180ish with very wide set shoulders and a solid build. I'm no collussus but I'm enough to make most people think twice. Its not a gentlemans club, however we do have coyote ugly nights and a stripper pole on the dance floor for any ladies that feel inclined to giv'er a twirl. And no plastic drinkware but the way the place is it sounds like a good investment. Lot of ex-cons and power drinkers. Not the kinda place where Im getting payed to be sitting on a stool and watching the crowd all night. From what I can tell three or four people get bounced out of there every night and at least one of'em always wants to do things the hard way. but like I've stated above the place pays enough to make it worth while.

McD
Ranger

Post by McD »

As a x-bar owner who had to do all his own bouncing I'll say:

All of the advice given so far is actually all you need. And beleive it or not the Road House comment is really good advice well only the "BE NICE" part. In 10 years I only had to defend myself a couple of times and only went on the offense once (fucking Carny :evil:), and my place was a magnet for every drunken asshole in the area.

Make sure that the owner bar's everyone that is ever removed from there... no use dealing with that shit more than once.

And remember you never know who can kick YOUR ass until it happens.
C 2/75, 1st Plt, Wpns Sqd 76-79
RS 3-78
Mattoon's Goons

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve --
is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

NeverSayDie wrote:
I'm about 5'10" and 180ish with very wide set shoulders and a solid build. I'm no collussus but I'm enough to make most people think twice.
What the fuck ever. I am sure all the rowdy drinkers will stear clear of you. :roll:
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

Flesh Thorn wrote:
NeverSayDie wrote:
I'm about 5'10" and 180ish with very wide set shoulders and a solid build. I'm no collussus but I'm enough to make most people think twice.
What the fuck ever. I am sure all the rowdy drinkers will stear clear of you. :roll:
Ranger Flesh Thorn,

The key word in the sentece is "most". Alot of times one thing I've noticed is that for a select few (especially drunks) size isnt as much as a deterrent. They see knocking out a dig dude to be a way of proving how badass they are, of course these are the types of guys I would normally have to bounce out of the place anyway. The rest of the time a larger man politley telling you to calm down and break it up works better then someone of the shorter/lighter persuasion.

RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

I think this thread has run its course.

I will give you one last piece of information. I have friends in the UK that have worked security. Big & small, they have all been in confrontations both physical & verbal. UK clubs are like that, there is always a fight. The fact of the matter is, no matter how nice, or how shitty, a place is; someone is going to be in the mood for a fight. You as a bouncer need to ensure they don't want to fight you. There are two ways to achieve this:
  1. They don't want to fight you because they like you, or at the very least they don't have a chip on their shoulder about you. This is where polite comes in.
  2. They are scared of you. You're size is NOT going to achieve this. Believe it or not, calm, cool, collected is more intimidating than amped up.
It come down to the whole fear/respect thing. If you have respect, you can always fall back on fear. If you only have fear and that fails, you have nothing.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
NeverSayDie
Tadpole

Post by NeverSayDie »

Rangers,

Thank you all for squaring me away. Think I got enough know how to keep my future in the military alive and well.

RangerX and Ranger xray,

Roger. Thanks for helping me adjust my mindset. (I'll push out 50 for being thick headed.)

NSD

Return to “The Mosh Pit”