Who here carries a pistol for personal protection?

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

merlyn
Tadpole

Re: Who here carries a pistol for personal protection?

Post by merlyn »

Ranger KarlinPhoenix,
Thanks for the advice and website.
Incomming!
507th Air Ambulance
21st Field Evac Hospital
41st MASH
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Brook Army Medical Center

I have slipped the surely bonds of Earth; put out my hand and touched the face of God.

To give less than your best is to sacrafice the gift.
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

I did find myself in a situation one time where I had left my handgun in the vehicle. Tater Nuts and myself where headed to Texas the year before last and we had stopped near Baton Rouge off of I-10 for fuel. Tater was pumping gas and I went inside for a cup of coffee and to pay after he finished fueling. I left my Kimber in the van since there was hardly a person insight and you could clearly see into the store. One minute it was just the clerk and myself the next minute it is full of locals from the nearby ghetto. Being that I am from rural Appalachia, it probably appeared to me as more like Somalia minus the AK's than urban Louisiana. I was hoping that Tater Nuts was keeping an eye out for me as I had to pull out my wallet and dig out $50 in cash to pay for the fuel while a few of the patrons appeared to be eying me pretty hard. Fortunately, nothing happened, but if there was ever a time I probably should have been carrying cocked-n-locked this was it.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Dan B 3/75
Ranger

Post by Dan B 3/75 »

Since the GWOT kicked off in all its glory...er...anyway, and all the damn sworn statements that came along with it, I have taken a much different approach to defense in general.

Like the Army maintenance plan, defense needs a "before, during, and after" approach to be as effective as possible. While most folks focus on the "during" aspect of defense, they fail to train on the "before" and "after" aspects and have a harder time than they should imo.

99.9% of the time, a soldier is trying to do the right thing out in sector, however, when the time comes to justify his actions on paper in the form of a sworn statement, if you didn't work WITH Joe, and had no knowledge of a particular sector, than more often than not, his statement would leave room for questions due to a lack of specificity as it pertained to the ROE. As a result, I would assume a similar role as a defense attorney would, and would help the stud out by talking to him about the event, and ensuring he provided specific details that would justify his actions beyond a shadow of doubt.

You'd probably be surprised how vague Joe can be...well, no, nevermind.

This stemmed from a failure to properly prepare before AND after an event, and directly applies to civilian defense. Knowing the ROE, like civil defense law, verbatim, or being able to recite the key legal aspects of the ROE verbatim, is crucial in not only understanding ROE, but being able to answer questions and prove your actions were keeping in accordance with ROE.

BEFORE the event....know the law AS WRITTEN in your state.

When can force be used? When can deadly force be used? What is the difference between the two? When must I stop using force? Is there a requirement to retreat? Are there special circumstances that go along with the use of force, such as day vs. night, castle doctrine? Can I use force to protect property?
What is a disparity of force and how does it apply to the use of force in defense? Do you have a commo plan to notify the authorities that will NOT incriminate you should the tape be used in court?

More often than not, soldiers would FAIL to use force when they SHOULD and COULD have due to a failure to properly prepare before the event and understand the ROE. On the civilian side, it seems to be the opposite, and folks use deadly force when they shouldn't, or continue to do so when they should have ceased. Not good, as good folks face charges they shouldn't because some shit bag interfered with THEIR lives.

AFTER the event...

While some would opt to say nothing to the cops, imo, that's not such a good idea. However, running your mouth WITHOUT a "post incident" plan or practice, is not a good idea either. Enough info needs to be given to the cops to show YOU are the victim, and YOU acted within the law to defend yourself. Like the reports we used in service, ie 9 line medevac, SALT, CFF, I carry a post incident card that can be used to give a report that provides enough detail to paint the picture, but not enough to incriminate myself by saying stupid shit. It includes key defensive terms and elements from the law that will allow you to state the facts using the same verbiage as written in the law. It reminds to ID witnesses and evidence, to sign a complaint against the aggressor, and when to shut your mouth. It also has the number of a bail bondsman buddy I know... :)

You've also got to be prepared for a legal and financial fight, and the repercussions you may suffer as a result of the media, employers, "friends" and family.

Whatever you do, just remember that you can and should train to handle your personal defense before AND after the actual event as well. The more you do, the better your chances of not getting attacked TWICE for the same event, ie, once by the attacker, and again by the court system.
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

Guns are scary and bad
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

I have been told be a few law enforcement types that when the fuzz shows up (that's right, I said fuzz) you should never say anything like "I shot him" or "I killed him". It should always begin with "He tried to KILL me (and/or my family)" Of course, you should keep stressing the fact that YOU are the victim and that YOU acted to defend yourself or others that you are authorized or obligated to protect.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

mortar_guy78 wrote:I have been told be a few law enforcement types that when the fuzz shows up (that's right, I said fuzz) you should never say anything like "I shot him" or "I killed him". It should always begin with "He tried to KILL me (and/or my family)" Of course, you should keep stressing the fact that YOU are the victim and that YOU acted to defend yourself or others that you are authorized or obligated to protect.

You just called the police "Fuzz"? That is almost as annoying as "Sport", "Pig", "Po-Po", "Scooter", or "Junior". (All of which I have attempted if not actually tased someone for). My feeling would be hurt if I had any there fellow Mortar Maggot. :lol:

As for the rest of it, I would agree. Understand that you are going to be Mirandized, you are probably going to be transported to a LEC somewhere, and it is never a bad idea to consult an attorney. It is your right...and any Porker worth his salt wouldn't get too pissed about you using it.

Yeah I just called myself a Porker! I'll also answer to Bacon, Blue, and "Holy shit the cops are here".
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
DixieRat
Ranger

Post by DixieRat »

Bravo57 wrote:Guns are scary and bad
Which is exactly why I carry one.
B/1/319th PFA, 82nd Abn Div 6/72-2/75
C/2/75 3/75-4/76
1/84th FA, 9th ID 5/76-8/77
TUSLOG Det 67 9/77-10/78

Tabless Bitch
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

Bravo57 wrote:Guns are scary and bad
You are right.

C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

A unregistered throw away firearm may work too as long as you remember to wipe it down first. :D
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
mortar_guy78
Ranger

Post by mortar_guy78 »

IEDmagnet wrote:
mortar_guy78 wrote:I have been told be a few law enforcement types that when the fuzz shows up (that's right, I said fuzz) you should never say anything like "I shot him" or "I killed him". It should always begin with "He tried to KILL me (and/or my family)" Of course, you should keep stressing the fact that YOU are the victim and that YOU acted to defend yourself or others that you are authorized or obligated to protect.

You just called the police "Fuzz"? That is almost as annoying as "Sport", "Pig", "Po-Po", "Scooter", or "Junior". (All of which I have attempted if not actually tased someone for). My feeling would be hurt if I had any there fellow Mortar Maggot. :lol:

I sometimes even refer to them as 5-0 or "the Man". :D

All joking aside, I have seriously considered the fact that law enforcement is probably one of the few jobs that I might actually find something fulfilling about after I retire. Someone has to keep looking after the sheep.

This is in spite of the fact that most police officers I dealt with as a kid (I grew up in a not so nice neighborhood) seemed to me to be bullies with guns. Then again my wife used to be an LEO, and she's pretty alright.
HHC 4/64 AR '97-'99
HHC 1/75 RGR '99-'01
HHC 1/508 ABCT '01-'04
C co, HHC 2/1 IN '04-'07
C co, B co 1/24 IN '07-'11
D co 308th MI '12-'15
7th SFG(A) MICO '15-'18
C co 308th MI '18-Present

Keep your mind in hell and despair not.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
cams
Ranger/Moderator

Post by cams »

TC204 wrote:I carry randomly, although I shouldn't leave the house without it. When I work in a bad area I carry two, but now that I got a derringer make that three :wink:
So, how's the job in Chelsea treating you? :lol: :wink:
2/75 HHC C/E 89-92
Rio Hato/AO Diaz CCT/Commo

"It is a heavy thing, to see a Father so strong in life, unable to rise."

"A great civilization is not conquered from without
until it has destroyed itself from within." -W. Durant
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

mortar_guy78 wrote: All joking aside, I have seriously considered the fact that law enforcement is probably one of the few jobs that I might actually find something fulfilling about after I retire. Someone has to keep looking after the sheep.

This is in spite of the fact that most police officers I dealt with as a kid (I grew up in a not so nice neighborhood) seemed to me to be bullies with guns. Then again my wife used to be an LEO, and she's pretty alright.

Most of the ones I dealt with were pure bred cocksuckers. But they earned it honest. I try my best to be fair, but I am blunt too. One of those "If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck....it must be a turkey. Err..uh..duck. Yeah" kind of guys.

You'll make a good one.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
merlyn
Tadpole

Post by merlyn »

Schibbs! :mrgreen:
507th Air Ambulance
21st Field Evac Hospital
41st MASH
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
Brook Army Medical Center

I have slipped the surely bonds of Earth; put out my hand and touched the face of God.

To give less than your best is to sacrafice the gift.

Return to “The Mosh Pit”