Surplus Rifles

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
Who Do?
Tadpole

Surplus Rifles

Post by Who Do? »

I've been looking at a local gun store lately, and came across their rack of surplus rifles. Quite a few Mausers from different countries, don't remember seeing any German ones, Mosin-Nagant m44's, a few wire wrapped Enfield no1 mk3's, Enfield p14, and some stuff i've never heard before. Having quite a shortage of money around here lately, it sorta rules out the m1a's and Garands.

I'm basically just looking for something to clean up and plink around with. Got tired of .22's and need a rifle that will reach out and touch something out here in the country. Have yall owned any surplus rifles, what are your opinions on them, are there any other types I should look at, and what are your thoughts on the ammo they use? 7.62x54r, 8mm Mauser..etc etc.

I've been researching it quite a bit, I'd just like to hear first hand accounts on them. Thanks.

*EDITED* for spelling.
Ranger Bell wrote:You fellas are men, or soon to be. Act like it. Ya want something, get it. She's cute? Take her. hahahahahhaa
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Those M 44 are fun to shoot for some reason and 7.62x54R is cheap, cheap . If your fingers are weak then operating the safety will be a work out. I have seen the Mosin Nagants go for as little as $40. If the bolt serial # doesn't match the rifle serial # then it would be a damn good idea to check the head space. There are several Mosin Nagant / surplus gun web sites and Ranger Beals admins one of them.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
1st Ranger

Post by 1st Ranger »

What Flesh said! There are some re-finnished Mossins out there that look brand spankin new. I own a Yugo M-48 Mauser. I bought it in "unissued" condition and it is beautiful. A great rifle. It shoots strait, and ammo for it is relativily cheep (I paid $30 for 700 rounds). Just be careful, most surpluss 8mm is corrosive, so clean well. The Yugo SKS's are another good surplus rifle that's not too expensive. 7.62x39 may not be a very great round, but its very cheap!
Who Do?
Tadpole

Post by Who Do? »

I appreciate the advice yall. I borrowed a 1944 8mm Mauser 98, all matching serial #'s (its beautiful) and fired about 20 rounds so far and am pretty pleased with it. Recoil wasn't as bad as I thought, but sitting, I didn't shoot as good of a group as I would have liked at 50 yards. (I can't blame it all on the gun though :oops: ) They have some m44's down at that shop for like $47 a peice, so I think i'm gonna check out the markings on them tomorrow and research them some more. Thanks again for the good advice Ranger RangerStew, Ranger Terry Welshan, Ranger 1st Ranger, Ranger Flesh Thorn, and TiminChicago; i'm sure i'll need more before too long.
Ranger Bell wrote:You fellas are men, or soon to be. Act like it. Ya want something, get it. She's cute? Take her. hahahahahhaa
FireFinder
Paratrooper

Post by FireFinder »

Save your money, join an affiliated club, start shooting High Power or Service Rifle matches, and buy a 1903A3 or a M1 Garand from the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles/index.htm
13R2P B BTRY (TAB), 26th FA (ABN), 18th FA BDE (1984-1988)
11C (4.2" Mortar) CSC 2/124INF, FLARNG (1988-1989)
Who Do?
Tadpole

Post by Who Do? »

bberkley, thanks for pointing that out to me, seems theres plenty of clubs in my area, and I think i'm going to look into attending the Small Arms Firing School. I don't think Camp Perry is too far away. Thanks again.

-Who Do?

Return to “Weapons of War”