Selecting AK's overseas (if you have to)

Rifles, Machineguns, Mortars, etc...
ChipOnShoulder

Selecting AK's overseas (if you have to)

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

The best AK's are Russian ones with milled recievers. Mine over here is from 1967, new, packed in the grease when I got it(RARE!). Under folding stock. markings have a circled 10 marking with cyrilic writing for auto and single shot.

The next best are milled chinese ones (type 56 marking) with underfolding stock.

Some with no markings might be confused with North Korean?

After that would be Libyan Side folders with dark red/brown furniture.

Last but not least are the Iraqi ones (Tabook markings)

Choose 7.62x39 only. The bullets are everywhere.

Get 75rd. drums suplemented with 30rd. mags. You can't fold the stocks with drums but with the extra bullets who cares.

Shoot that bitch on auto at first (spray and pray) then pick and choose on semi. Watch out the first click on the safety is auto!

www.Gunaccessories.com has rails, Kung Fu grips, and optics.

Happy future hunting,

Doc Cook
Smiddy
Ranger

Post by Smiddy »

Doc, I had a Croatian one that worked pretty well. Better than any of the other ones I came across. The brand new Bulgarian ones bought for the Hajjis were not too bad, but still had the occasional top plate fly off.

I would hate to rely on any of them. Weapons made by Arabs or Communists, I just don't trust. :wink:

Did you get a chance to try any suppressors over there yet? I had some mixed results.
"NEVER WITHOUT HONOR"

C Co, 1/75; 92-00...HHC, 1/75; 00-02
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Thanks SOTB. Great post from someone with experience.
ChipOnShoulder

550 cord on the selector lever

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Be carefull with the 550 cord on the selector lever. Eventually the selector lever will become loose and an AD can occur. This happened to a guy on our team(needless to say he was shit canned immediately for being a dumbass!). Also try to get multiple front sight tools before deployment. The tools are much better than using a hammer and nail to move the front sight post for windage. CZ ammo is the best these days as well as the Russian ammo. Be very careful of the Iraqi ammo-no further expenation required :shock: When we first got our AK's they were in pretty rough shape. Looked like they were pulled out of a dead camel's ass, but what was surprising is that when they were broken down they were BRAND NEW on the inside! It seems that Saddam never let his guys fire there weapons -EVER! As far as the 75rd. drums I guess I got lucky because mine functioned flawless on the range. Kudos to those who have the balls to go to the black market, we never did. A South Afican fellow went out to the ultimate gun show and came back with a severe case of lead poisoning. To ensure one does not come back with the same ailment consider hiring and $$$Paying$$$ big bucks a local indiginous to find weapons, ammo, medical shit (drugs) and other PMC goodies on the black market.

Just a few more cents,

Doc Cook
BadMuther
BANNED

Post by BadMuther »

Doc, I believe SOTB was referring to putting 550 cord on the folding buttstock to assist in pulling it open-not the safety.
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

Are you active duty or a PMC? Have we worked together?
ChipOnShoulder

Post by ChipOnShoulder »

writing PM now.
SD
Embryo

Post by SD »

Southoftheborder wrote: I also like the larger mags. You can also get 40-round mags as well as the 75-round drum. Be aware that the drums have reliability issues, but if you test-fire yours enough, you should be able to either ID the problem or determine if yours doesn't hiccup.

RPK drum mags are not good.
As you've mentoned, they have serious reliability issues. In my experience, it was mostly the feeder spring which got jammed somehow.
Later on we were given with the experimental drum mags for our 74M's, but the problem was not solved.

2 x 45 mags is the way to go in my opinion.

Return to “Weapons of War”