My Time With the Recruiter: A Comedy

Questions and Answers about obtaining an Option 40 Contract and other routes to serving as a Ranger in the US Army.
BigboyBob
Tadpole

Re: My Time With the Recruiter: A Comedy

Post by BigboyBob »

I'm no Ranger, but pertaining to question (4) I believe I may be somewhat knowledgeable because I only enlisted a few weeks ago with an 11x opt 40 contract. I had the choice to select between a 4,5, or 6 year contract, and I chose 5. I'm not sure if your MOS of 68w changes anything but I figured I'd at least describe my situation and experience. Maybe it will give you some ammunition next time you talk to you recruiter.

Good luck!
Mentee to Ranger Invictus

"Never was anything great achieved without danger."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."
-Socrates

Ship Date: 20110104
Shock
Tadpole

Post by Shock »

I was in the recruiter station last week, I was told it was 4 years for Ranger but didn't discuss any specific mos.

At the same time, I was interrupted by a phone call of someone calling in asking about an 18x contract. The recruiter said it wasn't available to him due to the fact that he had no college credits or special skills. Bullshit. He didn't want to deal with another whiny kid coming in with movies in his eyes. I spoke to him about it afterwards and he justified his position saying that 'slots are now very competitive and only I know what is available etc etc.'

Do what I did, give a quick call to a DIFFERENT recruiting station and ask some basic questions. Do it multiple times if you feel the need. Never assume that they are telling you the truth.

This is my experience from dealing with recruiters over the last month. I havn't even started with MEPS.
אל תהי בז לכל אדם, ואל תהי מפליג לכל דבר, שאין לך אדם שאין לו שעה, ואין לך דבר שאין לו מקום
goon175
Ranger

Post by goon175 »

1 - Is there a chance my recruiter will simply say, "No, you don't pass on security" just to avoid the extra paperwork of putting in an option 40? Is he required to disclose whatever the investigator says to him? -

-If you don't qualify for atleast a "secret" clearance, than you can't get an opt. 40. the recruiter submits an SF 86 as part of the enlistment process. There is no extra paperwork to get you an option 40, if it is available in the system, then it is literally as simple as the click of a button.

2 - Does anyone know if default student loans automatically disqualify you for clearance? Has anyone here obtained it whilst in default?

-Unpaid bills, tickets, stuff in default can all effect your ability to get a clearance.

4 - Is a Ranger contract really 6 years now? I have found nothing on the internet or in talking with regular Army to support this claim.

-Ranger contracts are usually atleast 4 years plus initial training time, for example my contract was 4 years 19 weeks. As I have not come across it yet, I cannot intelligently speak on whether 68w with an opt. 40 incurs a longer enlistment. BUT, theres nothing that stops your recruiter from showing you exactly what is on his laptop, because when he goes to pull a job for you, the minimum service is listed right there. so...ask to see it.
"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
-Theodore Roosevelt

1/75 2006 - 2010
Flesh Thorn
Ranger

Post by Flesh Thorn »

Zdannyp wrote: But I'm 29 now and need to get the show on the road pronto if I'm going to be a ranger.

Thanks for the tips, I'll be sure to use them to bust some balls if they try any more BS with me before I sign.
You should also start using an upper case R every time you post the word Ranger from here on out. Accepting and meeting responsibility is the trait of a leader, so you should tighting up on your financial responsibilities. Frugality is indicative of self-discipline.
A Co. 3/75 Ranger Regt. HQ Section Dec 85-June 86.
HSC USAITC June 86-April 88
NAVSEA, 2014 to Present

Psalm 144:1 A Psalm of David. Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Dan, you are a fortunate man. Ranger Goon175 is an active recruiter. Your plan has merit, and you will have an opportunity to apply to earn a place in the 75th Ranger Regiment while you are in your initial entry training. Having said that, your opportunity will be increased if you earn the reputation as a strong soldier. Work on your PT as well as your academic training.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867

Return to “Recruitment Process”