Idiot Parents

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Re: Idiot Parents

Post by IEDmagnet »

And people say I'm too hard on my kids, but I can (and have) on multiple occasions taken all three of them to movies without incident. Of course my kids stand at parade rest and still say ma'am and sir, but you are absolutely right. I find it amazing how many times as a police officer I have received the "my kid won't listen" call. My response has always been, "have you whipped his tail?" I have gone as far as standing there in uniform, and telling the parent to spank them, right then. Kids today run uncontrolled, when I was young my Grandfather needed only to look at me and I stopped what I was doing.

Fix it now or be prepared to visit them in a small room by phone.
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

IEDmagnet wrote: Kids today run uncontrolled, when I was young my Grandfather needed only to look at me and I stopped what I was doing.
X2. Mine could freeze me in place without a word. All he had to do was softly say: "Jim." I froze in place.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
Lefty
Rest In Peace | Ranger Advisor BDQ

Post by Lefty »

IEDmagnet wrote:Fix it now or be prepared to visit them in a small room by phone.

What he said.

Amen.
RLTW
Lefty
SFOC 1969
6th SFG(A) 69-70
Ranger Class 13-70
MACV Tm 21 70-71 (2nd ARVN Ranger Gp 23d
BN)
2/13 Armor 1st Cav 71-72

"Experience teaches a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and some scarce in that"
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

I'm not a big fan of beating children, however, I do like to put them into stress positions in time out! They get one minute for every birthday they've had! I think the last time my oldest got one was when she was 14 - so she had to face the door, on her knees, hands on her head, legs crossed at the ankles.....

When my son was in second grade he would not shut up....don't know where he got that from...anyway, I stopped by on a Friday about an hour or so before last bell. The teacher just grabbed him by the scruff and gave him to me and said "take him! just take him"....so I took him home. At the house I made him a milkshake and we sat down at the kitchen table and I said "son, I could beat the crap outta you right now or we can figure out what it'll take for you to behave in class"....so he said "will you take me to the movies?" I said if you behave every day for a whole week, then sure!

Took him a couple of weeks but after that I was sleeping thru the whole Harry Potter and Lord of Rings series! He just got promoted to 9th grade with all As and Bs, plays guitar, has his black belt in TKD, does 5km runs with me, and is an all around good kid.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

panthersix wrote:I'm not a big fan of beating children, however, I do like to put them into stress positions in time out! They get one minute for every birthday they've had! I think the last time my oldest got one was when she was 14 - so she had to face the door, on her knees, hands on her head, legs crossed at the ankles.....

When my son was in second grade he would not shut up....don't know where he got that from...anyway, I stopped by on a Friday about an hour or so before last bell. The teacher just grabbed him by the scruff and gave him to me and said "take him! just take him"....so I took him home. At the house I made him a milkshake and we sat down at the kitchen table and I said "son, I could beat the crap outta you right now or we can figure out what it'll take for you to behave in class"....so he said "will you take me to the movies?" I said if you behave every day for a whole week, then sure!

Took him a couple of weeks but after that I was sleeping thru the whole Harry Potter and Lord of Rings series! He just got promoted to 9th grade with all As and Bs, plays guitar, has his black belt in TKD, does 5km runs with me, and is an all around good kid.
Quality time eliminates many behavioral problems.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
Boudicca
Tadpole

Post by Boudicca »

Hahaha. That is exactly the same situation my son had last week at the same movie... his exact words were "People who bring their crying children to movies should be lined up against a wall and fucking shot. They know what their doing and STILL THEY DO IT!!!" This is his biggest pet peeve, perhaps you two could start a support group!
To be loved is to be fortunate, but to be hated is to achieve distinction.
<2> Ranger Mom
RIP 10-08 & RS 10-09
Rangerguru
Ranger

Post by Rangerguru »

I love it when I upgrade my ticket on a 15 hour flight across the pond and the airline sits a little kid in the first row of seats behind the magic curtain and they scream and cry for the entire flight. The Royal Jordanian flights were the worst especially in the summer. About 70 little Haji kids running up and down the aisle while their parents slept and smelled bad the entire flight.
Ranger Class 3/96
25th ID 93-96
10th Motown 96-99
C Co. 4th RTB 99-04
Gubment Contractor OCONUS 07-present

Gun Safety Tip #6. When unholstering your weapon it's customary to say "Excuse me while I whip this out "
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Rangerguru wrote:I love it when I upgrade my ticket on a 15 hour flight across the pond and the airline sits a little kid in the first row of seats behind the magic curtain and they scream and cry for the entire flight. The Royal Jordanian flights were the worst especially in the summer. About 70 little Haji kids running up and down the aisle while their parents slept and smelled bad the entire flight.
The Saudia flight from Riyadh to Washington, DC is just like that. Did it once, and then started flying to Frankfurt,, overnighting and back to Washington via Lufthansa. Taskes longer, but more peaceful.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

Think about scramjet airliners hitting Mach 45 a hundred years from now. London to Los Angeles in 12 minutes. Let the brats scream all they want.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
TopSNOT_BigE
Ranger

Post by TopSNOT_BigE »

I was in the local grocery store about 4 months ago. In one isle a little boy grabbed a box off the shelf. The mother of the child quickly took the box and returned it to the shelf while telling her child not to do it again. The boy started crying and then quickly escalating to a scream and a pounce. Everyone in the market was staring at them now. Well a few isles later, the child continuing to make a scene and the mother at her breaking point, she grabbed the boy, dropped his pants, and gave him 2 good wallops. Almost instantly a woman ran up saying "You cant do that, I'm calling the police". The mother was red with embarrassment now. Then another man in civilians stepped in and said "I'm a police officer for Benton County", he gave his name and badge number "I saw everything that happened and what I saw was a mother disciplining her child, which in this state is not illegal. Maybe you should take a few pointers." The mother looked extremely releaved and they all went there seperate ways.

I'm saying this story because I think that so many people think that spankings are illegal, which in the state of Iowa, if used to discipline, are not. I looked this up to make sure and I suggest you look this up in your county/state as well.

I however do not condone spankings until a last resort. So far (1 year old), the tone of my voice has worked. But I may have to steal the stress positions from you, panthersix.
Aco/HHC 1/75
RS 10-04

"In the end, the greatest snowball isn't a snowball at all, it's fear."
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Spanking's are only illegal if you pay for it...and get caught...lol
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
IEDmagnet
US Army Veteran

Post by IEDmagnet »

TopSNOT_BigE wrote:I was in the local grocery store about 4 months ago. In one isle a little boy grabbed a box off the shelf. The mother of the child quickly took the box and returned it to the shelf while telling her child not to do it again. The boy started crying and then quickly escalating to a scream and a pounce. Everyone in the market was staring at them now. Well a few isles later, the child continuing to make a scene and the mother at her breaking point, she grabbed the boy, dropped his pants, and gave him 2 good wallops. Almost instantly a woman ran up saying "You cant do that, I'm calling the police". The mother was red with embarrassment now. Then another man in civilians stepped in and said "I'm a police officer for Benton County", he gave his name and badge number "I saw everything that happened and what I saw was a mother disciplining her child, which in this state is not illegal. Maybe you should take a few pointers." The mother looked extremely releaved and they all went there seperate ways.

I'm saying this story because I think that so many people think that spankings are illegal, which in the state of Iowa, if used to discipline, are not. I looked this up to make sure and I suggest you look this up in your county/state as well.

I however do not condone spankings until a last resort. So far (1 year old), the tone of my voice has worked. But I may have to steal the stress positions from you, panthersix.
Not illegal in SC either, as long as there are no "permanent or lasting scars".
A/3/505 PIR, 82nd 96-98
B/2/121 Inf, 48th BCT Iraq 05-06
B/1/118 Inf, 218th BCT Afghan 07

I'm not stupid, I'm crazy...there is a difference.
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

JLTW!!! wrote:I give less than a fuck if its legal in Texas. MY WIFE AND I are raising my children, no one else. If I deem an ass whooping is the corrective action needed, then that is what is given. My goal is to raise good, well-adjusted (they'll get that from mom :P ) self-sufficient citizens. I don't need to beat them into submission, but like I said, there are times it is called for and I don't give a shit who is offended in the grocery store or elsewhere. People like that are part of the problem IMHO: whiny, spineless, and weak. Go raise your own kids, and I'll raise mine. Kids need discipline and guidance, just like a private.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who:
1) had his ass spanked or put back in line by a neighborhood parent when I got out of line, who then went straight to my dad when they saw him and told him exactly what they did and why...and then he chewed my ass (or worse) again.

2) Had a family member (dad/grandpa) say, "Spare the rod, spoil the child."

3) Had parents sign off on the corporal punishment form at school.

Fuck it, I turned out alright and I owe a ton of who I am to my dad.

My question is WHEN/WHY did this country start turning in this direction with kids and family as a whole?
I didn't mean to imply that I never used spankings, I just don't care for it myself. To me, raising kids is more Psy Ops than direct action. Hitting a child when you're angry is dangerous, taking a minute to figure out how to "outwit" them at least lets you cool off a bit. Now when a kid is about do something dangerous, then they need to have a healthy fear of the ole man....otherwise, there needs to be another side to a father. There's a fine line between fear and respect. I almost ran away from home when I was 12 because of the beatings. God only knows what would've happened to me on the street.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08

Return to “The Mosh Pit”