Maxing my 2-mile

No Snivel Zone. PT - Pushups, Flutterkicks, Running, Roadmarching.
leroyjenkins
Inprocessing

Maxing my 2-mile

Post by leroyjenkins »

Rangers,

I am having some issues with maxing the running portion of the APFT. I seem to have hit a plateau of sorts with a consistent 13:30 2-mile. Three years ago I did run a 12:40, but since then I have been maxing my push-ups and sit-ups, and it seems to be at the expence of my run time. At the very least, I run three miles a day with my off days being after a 10 miler day or the day before a race/APFT. My average run times are as follows:

2 Mile: 13:30 (6:45 min/mile)
5K: 19:35 (6:18 min/mile)
10K: 42:00 (6:45 min/mile)
10M: 1:20:20 (8:00 min/mile) [This isn't a very accurate time only because the only 10-mile races I've ran are the last two Army 10-milers, where the first 2 1/2 miles are spent fighting the crowd and the last 7 1/2 are spent trying to make up for the mosh pit in the beginning.)
13.1M: 1:51:25 (8:30 min/mile) [See situation with ATM.]

I have tried multiple programs but to no avail. POSE Running looked promising, but after trying it for about six months, it still felt awkward and I didn't want to risk injuring myself on the longer distances. I've read through the threads, but most were more along the lines of bringing a 17:00 min/2 mile into the passing range. After reading SGM Robert S. Rush's article on increasing APFT scores, I was curious if anyone has personally had any luck with the running section? It looks vaguely familiar to another running program which I had no luck with. If not, are there any other programs that have been useful to you, as Rangers? Thank you.

Respectfully,

SGT J
5010th USAH 06-07
4th Region, USARC 07-08
7218th MSU 08-09
IBOLC
Ranger School Class 06-12
OEF 12, 1-101 AASLT
2-2IN, 16-present
RangerX
Ranger

Re: Maxing my 2-mile

Post by RangerX »

• Buy a pit bull
  • Starve it
  • Smear your balls with bacon grease
  • Release pit bull
  • Do what comes naturally....RUN!
Disclaimer-

This process is theoretical in nature, as nobody has survived preliminary testing to gauge it efficacy.
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Ranger Ron
Ranger/LRRP/Admin

Post by Ranger Ron »

RangerX wrote:
  • Buy a pit bull
  • Starve it
  • Release pit bull
Disclaimer-

This process is theoretical in nature, as nobody has survived preliminary testing to gauge it efficacy.
I don't care who you are now, that's funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
SUA SPONTE - "We few, we happy few, we BAND OF BROTHERS;
for he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother!"
- Shakespeare

RLTW! - Land of the Free BECAUSE of the Brave

RS 3-70
SSG VN 69-70
I Co., 75th. Inf.
4/9 Inf., 25th ID

Mentored Ranger kozzman555
http://www.75thrra.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 183
http://www.ranger.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - LM 3537
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

RangerRon wrote:
RangerX wrote:
  • Buy a pit bull
  • Starve it
  • Release pit bull
Disclaimer-

I don't care who you are now, that's funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's funnier when you do it to your daughter's boyfriend that you don't care for! :mrgreen:
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

You're training for endurance with those runs. Want a better 2 mile time, train for short fast runs. Try 1-2 days a week of fartleks at 100% and 1 day week of 100 yard sprints to build that sudden burst and then throw in some long slow runs on days in between.
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"
leroyjenkins
Inprocessing

Post by leroyjenkins »

Thank you Rangers. Unfortunately, my property manager doesn't allow tenants to own pitbulls, so I must make do with a shepard mutt.

Ranger Colt1rgr,

Roger.

Respectfully,

SGT J
5010th USAH 06-07
4th Region, USARC 07-08
7218th MSU 08-09
IBOLC
Ranger School Class 06-12
OEF 12, 1-101 AASLT
2-2IN, 16-present
RangerX
Ranger

Post by RangerX »

GypsyRoll wrote:How do you average a faster mile over a 5k than over a 2 mile time?
I can't answer for anyone else, but when I run, there is a "breaking point" where all the sore bits quit complaining and my stride smooths out. Once that happens, my pace improves. The trick that SGTJenks needs to work on is decreasing the amount of time it takes to reach that point. That is why sprints were recommended.

By the way, I bet the shepherd mutt likes bacon too. :twisted:
C Co 3/75 88-90 (Just Cause)
124 MI(LRSD) 90-91 (Desert Storm)

Repeal the 16th, enforce the 10th.

ΜΩΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all." Gen. James Mattis

Panem Et Circenses

My safe space
Oto-Man
Ranger

Post by Oto-Man »

RangerX wrote:
GypsyRoll wrote:How do you average a faster mile over a 5k than over a 2 mile time?
I can't answer for anyone else, but when I run, there is a "breaking point" where all the sore bits quit complaining and my stride smooths out. Once that happens, my pace improves. The trick that SGTJenks needs to work on is decreasing the amount of time it takes to reach that point. That is why sprints were recommended.

Sprint a 400--full speed, calm a 400--70% speed, repeat for 4 miles, every other day.....took me from a 6:30 mile to a 5:05 mile in 2 months...and I could maintain sub 6 min miles forever...
B Co 2/75 (WEBCO)
1988-1990
RS Class 1-90
colt1rgr
Ranger

Post by colt1rgr »

Oto-Man wrote:
RangerX wrote:

Sprint a 400--full speed, calm a 400--70% speed, repeat for 4 miles, every other day.....took me from a 6:30 mile to a 5:05 mile in 2 months...and I could maintain sub 6 min miles forever...
You mean sorta like "fartleks?" :P
1st Ranger Bn 86-92, C Co, HHC, Bn COLT, RHQ 94-95 Ranger Class 14-87 MFF 05 May 88

"Life is like a drop zone, sometimes you just miss the whole damn thing!"

Return to “About Army Physical Training”