Roman gladiator cemetery found

News posted by members of this site. If you want to publish your own article or have something of value for the front page please indicate it as such.
Before posting make sure it hasn't already been posted. Write a concise and pertinent intro if you are going to post here.

Moderator: Site Admin

Forum rules
Check for duplicates before posting, otherwise post it in the original thread. If you want to post an article of your own or find it significant for the front page please let us know. Rangers Lead the Way
Invictus
Ranger

Re: Roman gladiator cemetery found

Post by Invictus »

Interesting, just finished watching "Spartacus". Didn't realize they had gladiatorial games in England.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

It was popular all around the empire.
National Geographic or Military channel, I forget which, just had a great documentary about the Sparticus revolt & campaigns. Great lessons in UW & COIN warfare.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
Invictus
Ranger

Post by Invictus »

I just watched the series on STARZ or Showtime or some such.

A lot more T&A in it....just sayin'
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Thanks for the synopsis RedRose.

RS 9-76

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

and to quote another Hollywood classic:

"So RedRose, do you like gladiator movies?"
:twisted:

RS 9-76

Chiron
Ranger

Post by Chiron »

I saw this on TV. This guy said that the average life expectancy of a gladiator was at best two fights maybe three. He went on to say that the method of the “cout de gras” or final death hit of a defeated gladiator was from the throat front to back, if the people wanted death. In effect decapitating the loser.

Great find. They are learning much from this grave yard.
RS Class 5-82
French Commando 11-83
LRSLC Class 5-87
U.S. Army 1980-1984 and 1987-1990
---------
“Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.”
George S. Patton
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

If they dig up the Pastor's shield, tell them to send it postage paid back to Rock Island.
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

They had cat fights too:

http://ablemedia.com/ctcweb/consortium/gladiator6.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
ambracia
Embryo

Post by ambracia »

Rangers, I'm just testing the waters a bit here, would any of you support bringing regulated, televised, volunteer, gladiatorial death matches back ? I would.
5"10 128 lbs
PU - 80
SU - 70
2 Mi - 16:30
Bravo57
Ranger

Post by Bravo57 »

ambracia wrote:Rangers, I'm just testing the waters a bit here, would any of you support bringing regulated, televised, volunteer, gladiatorial death matches back ? I would.
No
B Co. FIST 3/75 Rgr Rgt.
1991-2000
RS 9-92
Task Force Ranger 1993

For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

ambracia wrote:Rangers, I'm just testing the waters a bit here, would any of you support bringing regulated, televised, volunteer, gladiatorial death matches back ? I would.
Sure.

You're up first.

S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by hobbit »

IntelToad wrote:
Sure.

You're up first.

You know the thumbs down for "kill the bum" was invented by 17th century painters and proliferated by Hollywood. Professor Anthony Philip Corbeill, a professor of classics at the University of Kansas, is an expert on ancient hand gestures. He concluded in a white paper in the late 90s (cooberated by other experts since) that the real hand gesture used by the Romans for "kill the bum" was thumbs up, not down. Furthermore, he concluded that the gesture wasn't static, but was quite animated, just like when a modern day umpire waves his arm across his chest with a thumb up to indicate "get oughta here ya bum" to players thrown out on base or struck out at home plate. Corbeill also concluded that the hand gesture for mercy was a clenched fist.

http://www.news.ku.edu/1997/97N/SepNews ... humbs.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein

Return to “The News Dump”