Question Regarding Medals

General Discussions for all members.

Moderator: Site Admin

KS110
Future Soldier

Question Regarding Medals

Post by KS110 »

Greetings Rangers

My grandfather was a First Sergeant in WW2 and recieved a few medals. I just came from visiting him and, sadly, was informed that some lowlife decided to steal them from his room at his VA retirement home (Not sure what else to call it) while he was out. Needless to say, he's heartbroken. They meant a lot to him. He had a board with all his medals, ribbons and patches on it. Luckily, he still has his actual Silver Star (which he cherishes), he kept it separate and kept a clone on the board, but everything else is gone. I've been doing some google work and found this site:
http://www.usamilitarymedals.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have a picture of his plaque so I know what he had, and I was thinking of buying copies and making him a new one. I know they aren't the real thing but I still think it would make him happy.

There's nothing wrong with that right? I just feel a little weird buying medals off of a website, but I think anybody who knew the story would understand. Also, is there perhaps a better site out there to order from? I'm really frustrated about the situation and this is the best idea I could come up with. I spoke to the security at his place, and they "have his report on file and are doing everything they can" but I would be seriously (and happily) surprised if anything come of it. I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts.

Thank you Rangers
Kevin
11B, 50th IBCT
hobbit
Rest In Peace Ranger

Re: Question Regarding Medals

Post by hobbit »

KS110 wrote:There's nothing wrong with that right?
Not a thing. Your grandfather is lucky to have a grandson who cares so much.

Talk about an example of "stolen valor". It's an unfortunate fact of commerce that WWII medals and unit memorabilia are getting valuable. That's probably why his medals were stolen. Somebody will pawn them off, sell them to a military collectables shop, or stick them on ebay.
L Company Ranger
RVN 70/71
75th RRA Life Member

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. -Albert Einstein
al_2ndWolfhounds
Ranger

Post by al_2ndWolfhounds »

Not only is it OK but you are doing something special for your soldier grandfather.
RLTW

Active service 01/67-12/73
Ranger Class 10-68
2/27 Inf 25th Inf Div Vietnam 01/69-01/70

"In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take." - Adlai Stevenson (1900-1965)
“The enemy is anybody who’s going to get you killed, no matter which side he is on.” – Joseph Heller, Catch-22
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

http://www.homeofheroes.com/valor/repla ... edals.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could also try to request replacements from his branch of service. The above link is just one of many on how to request replacements. I don't think there is a charge for one replacement set, but I don't know as I've never done it myself.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
KS110
Future Soldier

Post by KS110 »

Rangers Hobbit and al_2ndWolfhounds, thank you. He is my hero, and the closest thing I had to a real father. He's in a wheelchair now, and the thought of someone taking advantage of his weakened state and stealing HIS awards that he risked his life for.. well.. I was pretty angry and disheartened to say the least. It's nothing to me to spend a few bucks to cheer him up but hopefully I won't even need to now thanks to..

RANGER PANTHERSIX!

Thank you for that website and information sir. I had no idea anything like that existed. I am going to get in contact with them tomorrow and see what can be done. I did some reading on their site and even though I'm not sure my grandpa still has all his paperwork from back then, I'm pretty confident we'll be able to work something out. Thank you a thousand times Ranger Panthersix.

Kevin

PS I'm thinking a GPS device embedded with the new set should do the trick.. Lord have mercy on whoever tries to steal from him again.
11B, 50th IBCT
Jim
Rest In Peace Ranger

Post by Jim »

Let your local congressman help you. Contact his office and he can expedite the application process.
Ranger Class 13-71
Advisor, VN 66-68 69-70
42d Vn Ranger Battalion 1969-1970
Trainer, El Salvador 86-87
Advisor, Saudi Arabian National Guard 91, 93-94
75th RRA Life Member #867
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

The official source for retired and veterans awards inquiries:

https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/Active/TA ... etired.htm

It states:

Army Retiree and Veteran Award Inquiries

Termination of Service Prior to October 1, 2002

Army Retirees and Veterans who terminated their service prior to October 1, 2002 must submit requests to the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC) in St. Louis, Missouri. The NPRC will verify the awards to which a retiree/veteran is entitled and forward the request with the verification to the appropriate service department for issuance of the medals.

The NPRC's eVetRecs system is preferred method for submission of requests for medals and awards. Retirees/Veterans must provide as much information as possible in the comments field.

Requests submitted to NPRC may be submitted via a letter or the SF 180. Requests must include a copy of the veteran's/retiree's separation or discharge paperwork and any other supporting documentation to substantiate request.

Address:
National Personnel Records Center
Attention: Army Reference Branch
9700 Page Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Unfortunately due to the large volume of correspondence received, the requestor should allow a reasonable period of time for NPRC to research and respond to the request.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92

Return to “The Mosh Pit”