Hi and thanks for a great site!!!

This Archive will be used for posts 6 months old and older

Moderator: Site Admin

Earthpig
Ranger

Re: Hi and thanks for a great site!!!

Post by Earthpig »

VeteranVixen wrote:Image
Here's a pic of me that someone (or two) asked about.
I fully expect the requests to escalate now...

Welcome aboard. Just blew through your neck of the woods yesterday. Thanks for supporting a Warrior.

RLTW
EP
Always remember: BROS BEFORE HOES.
garyedolan
Ranger Hall of Fame

Post by garyedolan »

Welcome Youngster. Thank you for your service to our country and for the patriotic service of your extended family. Your husband is fortunate to have your dedication and support as well as your love!
Gary "28"
Co C (RGR), 75 Inf (ABN) '70-'71
USMA 69; RGR 4-70; RHOF-2011
http://oftheirownaccord.com

"Duty, Honor, Country. Those three hallowed words reverently dictate what you ought to be, what you can be, what you will be." Douglas MacArthur
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

Congrats and just don't let the hubby drag you out to the unit for a "parachute shake out" detail!
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
VeteranVixen
US Army Veteran

Post by VeteranVixen »

panthersix wrote:Congrats and just don't let the hubby drag you out to the unit for a "parachute shake out" detail!

As soon as I told my husband about it - he was excited to drag me out there. Still a while until we get there though...
AFN Uijongbu Falling Water South Korea 1998-1999
AFN Vicenza Caserma Ederle Italy 1999-2001
panthersix
Ranger

Post by panthersix »

parachute shake out is when they bring the 'chutes in from a jump and they are full of sand, leaves, branches and other crap and the riggers hang them up in the rigger shed and "the detail" gets to get under them and shake out all the crud. The crud rains down on ya and get into your eyes and is just nasty.....it's like taking a dirt shower.
Doc Mac
Ranger Class 11-80
C.Co. WPNS 1/75 79-81
3rd Plt/498th Medevac 81-82
104th LRSD 92-93
422d CA BN (A) 94-97
118th ASOS 02-08
42L5V
Ranger

Post by 42L5V »

snafu wrote:correction: He'll be going to Airborne before he goes to actual rigger AIT. It's a little different for riggers. Don't know about the Prereq at Jackson but the Benning part is Airborne. RASP is at Benning too, fyi...

My advice for you and your man is to just stay put while he's in the pipeline. Then, once he gets to his final duty station, move there. Unless his training (AIT) is long enough to be considered a PCS move, which I don't think it is, you might not be able to stay with him at Jackson unless it's on your dime.
Unless things have changed, first termers are not authorized a PCS to move family members. It is out of pocket. I may be going old and senile, though.
MSG, U.S. Army, 1987-2007
RSClass 10-92
VeteranVixen
US Army Veteran

Post by VeteranVixen »

42L5V wrote:
snafu wrote:correction: He'll be going to Airborne before he goes to actual rigger AIT. It's a little different for riggers. Don't know about the Prereq at Jackson but the Benning part is Airborne. RASP is at Benning too, fyi...

My advice for you and your man is to just stay put while he's in the pipeline. Then, once he gets to his final duty station, move there. Unless his training (AIT) is long enough to be considered a PCS move, which I don't think it is, you might not be able to stay with him at Jackson unless it's on your dime.
Unless things have changed, first termers are not authorized a PCS to move family members. It is out of pocket. I may be going old and senile, though.
Yeah we are just going to stay here for all his training. I'm close to family here so that's best. I certainly hoe that we will be able to get orders to go with him once he gets his permanent duty station. Which WILL be at Ranger Regiment because he has the heart of a Ranger and won't take anything less.
IntelToad
Ranger

Post by IntelToad »

Welcome & good luck to your husband.

I can now say from personal experience (my visit this weekend) that you live in a really big state. :shock:
S-2, HQ 75th, 1985-1987
VeteranVixen
US Army Veteran

Post by VeteranVixen »

I don't want to make a whole new thread to give a minor update.

Hubby is in BCT right now. Set to graduate at the end of September. Then he is slated for AOC which I learned is an Airborne School PreReq that basically just gets them ready for the tons of PT. From what I understand the AOC can be anywhere from 1-9 weeks depending on the soldier. He has 3 weeks slated before his orders show Jump School. After Jump School its off to Rigger School when he finishes that in February he's off to do his option 40.

I hope his option 40 is just a 4 week long RASP and not the full on Ranger School as we are expecting our 2nd baby at the end of March. If the option 40 means a ticket straight to 3 months of Ranger school then he'll miss the birth. I'm prepared either way.
CharlieRanger1FFV
Ranger

Post by CharlieRanger1FFV »

Welcome to the site, Ma'am. Thank you for your family's service. We wish your husband luck
in his future service.

RLTW!!!
Silencium Mortium

B /1/504 82nd Abn 69 - 70
C co (Ranger) 75th (Abn) Inf, II Corps Rangers, 70 - 71 Viet Nam
12th SFG (A) 76 - 78
75th Ranger Regiment Association, Lifetime Member # 2776
Baseplate
Ranger

Post by Baseplate »

Pre-airborne school? Unless things have changed dramatically a person needing Pre-airborne school is going to be in serious trouble when starting RASP
HHC 1/75 mtrs Apr 2000- dec 2003
hang it, FIRE!!!!

"I feel sorry for anyone who is not an alcoholic---How would you like to wake up every moring & know that is the best you will feel all day?" W.C. Fields

1st Ranger Bn...We may not go down in history but we will go down on your sister
VeteranVixen
US Army Veteran

Post by VeteranVixen »

Baseplate wrote:Pre-airborne school? Unless things have changed dramatically a person needing Pre-airborne school is going to be in serious trouble when starting RASP

Well from what my hubby is telling me things HAVE changed drastically. They aren't allowed to smoke them anymore or make them do 20 pushups. The most they can make them do is 5 and the DS has to do it with them. From what I understand loads of people were dropping out of Airborne School so they implemented it. It's something that was assigned right away without any type of Physical assessment. Maybe it's just something that people who go through Relaxin Jackson have to do. That wouldn't surprise me one bit.

Sounds like the hubby just got a new CO and you know how that goes. No offense to any CO's here on the board but they come in and want to change things. My hubby had heard so many stories from myself and my 7th Group SF Dad, that he feels like he's got it too easy. He's got the Ranger spirit and will prevail - I have no doubt about that.
K.Ingraham
Ranger

Post by K.Ingraham »

Just to clear up the Ranger School vs RASP thing:
He has to get through RASP first. That is his ticket into the 75th Ranger Regiment. He needs to do a LOT of extra PT while at Ft Lee if his "Ranger spirit" will get him through, no matter what shape he is in, or thinks he is in. RASP is the selection for and "basic training" for Ranger Regiment hopefuls.
Ranger School is for the tab. That has nothing to do with entering the Regiment, it is a "Big Army" school, but passage there is expected of most who hope to remain in the Regiment or hope to hold a leadership position in the Ranger Regiment. That won't come for him until he's been in Regiment for 6/7months to over a year, and as a rigger, it will be toward the latter. You needn't worry or even think about Ranger School now.
RASP is now eight weeks, it changed back at the beginning of 2010.

Congrats on the expectant child!! :D
One more good reason to wait until he gets settled at his permanent assignment before you move.
If the timing doesn't work out; IE: your due date falls during his RASP dates, he will need to make a choice: you OR the Regiment. He takes his shot when the opportunity is presented and it is 'take it or leave it'. He'll have plenty of opportunities to phone home during RASP & find out if he's a daddy yet or not.
http://www.75thrra.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2d Bn U.D. for 75th Ranger Regt Assn

2d Bn(Ranger)75 Inf 1975-'77
RS 9-76
Former mentor to RANGER XCrunner.

"I am well aware that by no means equal repute attends the narrator and the doer of deedsSallust ‘The Catiline Conspiracy’
VeteranVixen
US Army Veteran

Post by VeteranVixen »

Thanks for the clear up in RASP and Ranger School - they must make it purposefully confusing for OPSEC reasons. I actually just wrote him a long letter telling him basically what you said K.Ingraham - about it being Ranger or me/family - I'm familiar with the lifestyle. In the end I leave the decision up to him with the caveat that if he drops out he better do it for a good duty station (Italy, Hawaii or Alaska) I've been at Bragg growing up too much already LOL. I know if he makes it a career without the Ranger tab we'll likely be there more than once.

I did also just remind him about PT. Seems as though they have moved Rigger School. Although the only clue I've found online is a lack of graduation dates for the 11 fiscal year. His orders do not put him at Lee. We looked into before him leaving and I've been keeping up with it waiting to see the shift to the new base. I'm guessing OPSEC again. While I certainly know that failure is not an option IS the Ranger way plenty of people don't make it. I don't envy him or his choice. I know he loves his family and it is yet to be seen if he'll love being a Ranger too.

Regardless of the outcome... I'll keep it posted in here. Although if he doesn't make Ranger I'll get my account closed here. If he does make it through I'll be a super active member without a doubt.

Return to “Introduction Archive”